PDA

View Full Version : Crafting Spells

Rasman
2012-03-12, 07:19 PM
Somewhere, I know I've seen it before, there are rules for making your own spells. For the life of me, I don't remember where I have seen it though.

My reason for asking is that I have a character that has a particular reason for wanting a spell that causes you to be detected as a specific alignment. His spell list, however, doesn't include anything of the sort, so my only other option that I can find is to actually make the spell.

Any thoughts as to what book these rules are in or if there is a way to make himself or even an object detect as a certain alignment?

Anderlith
2012-03-12, 07:24 PM
First off I'd like to say I love your avatar. Secondly spell creation rules are in the DMG & PHB

phlidwsn
2012-03-12, 10:58 PM
For that particular spell, you don't need to invent anything if you can get access to the Bard, Cleric or Sorc/Wiz lists. Races of Eberron has Misrepresent Alignment at 2nd level (3rd for cleric) on page 188. Does exactly want you want for 1hr/level.

If you don't have access to those lists, you can get it via Eternal Wand if you have any arcane casting, UMD, or via Extra Spell feat depending on your DM's interpretation.

And for the record, I did NOT know this because I have a Succubus Sorc 5 statted up and ready to throw at my party. Not at all.

Edit: Even if you can't find a way to use the spell as-is, it makes a good sample to convince your DM of what a reasonable example would be when researching your own.

Rasman
2012-03-14, 06:46 AM
I feel doubly like an idiot now XD

I must have overlooked the spell creation rules 5 or 6 times before I posted, asking about them.

On top of that, there's an Eberron Spell that I didn't know about...although most of my spell knowledge tends to focus on Druids, which makes me feel not quite as bad...

Thanks for the heads up, both of you.

phlidwsn
2012-03-14, 08:28 AM
No problem. And Eberron is definitely your source for almost all your magic based fashion needs. :smallsmile: