PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) charles atlas leveling [WIP]

zlefin
2012-03-12, 10:41 PM
I've been plotting a design for this for awhile; the link explains what they are

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharlesAtlasSuperpower

This is not for everyone; it isn't for most campaigns; it's just something that might be an interesting variant for a few campaigns; it favors a more shounen style of the heroes really getting super strong and such.

Making it work within the confines of 3.5 has quite a few issues; but let's start with how it would work:

All PC classes gain stats on levelling up; these are listed as fractions. The amount of stat gain depends on how much the class would tend to train in and work on that stat. As usual, fractions round down.
Generally, a classes primary stat will gain at 1 per level; and less important stats grow at slower rates; down to 1/4 per level for stats a class cares very little for. MAD classes tend to have better overall growth/level; though the difference overall isn't huge.

Now for the lists of classes stats per level; these are just my estimations; feel free to adjust as you feel appropriate.

Barbarian
Str 1
Int 1/4
Wis 1/3
Dex 1/2
Con 1
Cha 1/3
Total: 3 & 5/12

Bard
Str 1/2
Int 2/3
Wis 1/2
Dex 2/3
Con 1/3
Cha 1
Total: 3 & 2/3

Cleric
Str 1/2
Int 1/3
Wis 1
Dex 1/4
Con 1/2
Cha 2/3
Total: 3 & 1/4

Druid
Str 2/3
Int 1/3
Wis 1
Dex 1/2
Con 2/3
Cha 1/3
Total: 3 & 1/2

Fighter
Str 1
Int 1/2
Wis 1/4
Dex 3/4
Con 3/4
Cha 1/3
Total: 3 & 7/12

Monk
Str 2/3
Int 1/3
Wis 3/4
Dex 3/4
Con 3/4
Cha 1/3
Total: 3 & 7/12

Paladin
Str 3/4
Int 1/4
Wis 2/3
Dex 1/2
Con 3/4
Cha 3/4
Total: 3 & 2/3

Ranger
Str 3/4
Int 1/3
Wis 2/3
Dex 1
Con 3/4
Cha 1/4
Total: 3 & 3/4

Rogue
Str 1/2
Int 3/4
Wis 1/3
Dex 1
Con 1/2
Cha 3/4
Total: 3 & 5/6

Sorceror
Str 1/4
Int 2/3
Wis 1/3
Dex 1/2
Con 1/3
Cha 1
Total: 2 & 5/6

Wizard
Str 1/4
Int 1
Wis 1/2
Dex 1/2
Con 1/4
Cha 1/4
Total: 2 & 3/4

That covers base classes; if you want to figure out ones for other classes and prestige classes, using these as a guideline will work fine.

I had originally intended to use these to replace the BAB and save growth; under a system that would have also increased the amount of benefits each stat gave; but that brings even mroe balancing issues to the table. Also, alot of feats use BAB as a prereg; and it didn't feel right to have the gains in hitting come solely from the stat improvements; when their skill really should be increasing along with their stats.

Here's a list of a possible set of things each stat would provide above and beyond their existing bonuses (some were meant to fix save growth rates; others just to give each stat a boost)

Str - modifies fortitude saves in addition to con
Int - modifies reflex saves in addition to dex
Wis - modifies skill points/level, for lack of a better idea.
Dex - modifies melee to hit chance
Con - modifies uh, natural AC I guess; or con could simply get no new things to modify given how important it is already;
Cha - modifies will saves in addition to wis

These would make save & to hit growth rates comparable to those that occur from BAB & the normal levelling save modifiers.
However the stat increases would also make save DCs higher for anyone from PC classes;

These proposals, alone or together, really change game balance; so this is a WIP because I haven't figured out how to smooth out all the balance changes they cause.
They would likely be a little less problematic in a campaign with few magic items; where the stat gains would serve to replace the gains of magic items for the most part.

Zlefin :)