PDA

View Full Version : Good PrC for a Spy? (Question Answered, Thread Closed)

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-13, 12:23 AM
I'm looking to make a stealth-based NPC in a gestalt game I'm playing. She's a Neutral Good elf rogue/ranger at level 1 right now (Yes, I don't think anyone should ever play a rogue. But she's an NPC, so by definition, no one is playing her).

Her feats are Acrobatic and Track (B). She has 4 ranks in the Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Spot, Survival, and Tumble skills, and will most likely be keeping them all maxed. (Though I might consider putting some ranks in Disguise later if I feel that stealth isn't enough for her).

So, the question is, what PrC is good for a character based on stealth? I don't expect she will ever be in a combat situation, and if she is, my character will protect her, so combat viability is completely unimportant. I don't want a class that has any magic or supernatural qualities (so no shadowdancer and no swordsage), just some real mundane, logical boosts to things that a spy would care about, like hiding, moving silently, spot and listen, and maybe tracking.

I don't think the Darkstalker feat will be necessary in this campaign setting, but I am definitely keeping it in the back of my mind in case the DM suddenly whips out an empire of dragons on us or something.

So, any thoughts? Please provide the sourcebook containing your information, and thank you for your assistance.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-03-13, 12:49 AM
Well theres Spymaster (it has spy in its name) and Nightsong Inflitrator, both Complete Adventurer. Spymaster has a few Sp abilities but they are useful for hiding from magical detection. Inflitrator also has Detect Magic as an at-will SLA but everything else is Ex and can provide boons to others. Both won't be too terribly difficult to qualify for (Alerness, Evasion, Climb 10, Disable Device 5, Open Lock 5, Search 5 for Infiltrator and Skill Focus (Bluff), Bluff 8, Diplomancy 4, Disguise 8, Forgery 4, Gather Information 4, and Sense Motive 4 for Spymaster). Really just look at most PrC's in Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel and you'll sure to find at least 3 that fit well.

gbprime
2012-03-13, 01:02 AM
So no social skills, but outdoorsy stuff. If what you're wanting is skill bonuses and not combat prowess, then look at things like

Horizon Walker (DMG)
Wild Scout (Silver Marches)

Ruathar (Race of the Wild) is good for a dip because it doubles down on the elf senses and skill bonuses, as does Elf Paragon (Unearthed Arcana). 2 levels of Ruathar and 1 level of Elf Paragon result in +6 to spot and search instead of +2, and triple the normal low light vision sight range.

Azoth
2012-03-13, 01:08 AM
As a rogue enthusiast I disagree about never playing rogues. As for Prc's standards are thief acrobat, nightsong infiltrator, nightsong enforcer, dread commando. All varry in usefulness depending on the overall goal of the character. As a spy without no/little combat application I would reccomend thief acrobat and nightsong infiltrator most as they focus on the acrobatics and get in get out aspects you desire.

I also reccomend dropping survival for search and stopping balance at 5 ranks max so you can put into disable device. You are no true spy if you fall into every snare and pitfall in your path...not to mention teleportation circles, alarm spells, rverse gravity, web, hold person...ect ect. That comes from play experience, but is just my two copper.

eggs
2012-03-13, 01:12 AM
Illithid Slayer (XPH/SRD) has better abilities to avoid detection than most classes that are made for it, and Seers get quite a few powers to both detect and escape detection.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-13, 01:20 AM
I also reccomend dropping survival for search and stopping balance at 5 ranks max so you can put into disable device. You are no true spy if you fall into every snare and pitfall in your path...not to mention teleportation circles, alarm spells, rverse gravity, web, hold person...ect ect. That comes from play experience, but is just my two copper.

I strongly doubt the people she's spying on set traps, especially since she's basically walking through city alleyways every night. So, I'm not really worried about traps for this character.

Horizon walker actually seems pretty decent. I'm kind of wishing it had some more stealth-based abilities rather than just passive skill bonuses, but it's simple and straightforward, easy to get into, so it's my back up plan.

The Infiltrator is probably not going to happen, since the character is a soldier who belongs to the military and definitely not to any other groups (The DM for this game takes the fluff of everything very seriously). I suppose I could try and find the Nightsongs to train with though.

Thief acrobat is unfortunately not what I'm looking for. She has plenty of Tumble and Balance, and the DC for those skills tends to be laughable anyway. I was hoping for something that was stealth-based.

I don't know about the Dread Commando. What book is it in?

kardar233
2012-03-13, 01:33 AM
Dread Commando is from Heroes of Battle. Its class features focus on helping your team and being stealthy while moving fast and in armor. The class features (but not the chassis) are online here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=6).

Azoth
2012-03-13, 01:44 AM
You can always refluff nightsong to be special forces for the military. Also these is an ACF for dread commando to trade armor ease for concealment in natural surrounds equal to 5%xdread commando level.

Azoth
2012-03-13, 01:48 AM
A decent build i have used before is rogue1/ranger2/rogue2-3/dread commando5/nightsong infiltrator9. Your will save sucks, but you are a fast, agile, stealthy, and in mele can hold his own. He also boosts team initiative, gives skill bonuses, and automatically knows his allies conditions within 100ft without even needing to see/hear them.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-03-13, 02:03 AM
http://d30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net/upload/107676251_XZx6umC6_c.jpg

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-13, 02:05 AM
Alright, I've gone through Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel a few times now, and I think I'll just go with Horizon Walker. Thanks for all your help guys.