PDA

View Full Version : Android app ripping webcomics - including OotS

Benjuri
2012-03-13, 01:34 AM
I know Rich's email is still jammed because of Kickstarter, so I figured he may see this quicker if I posted it to the forums so that either he or a mod would pss by it. Long and short is that I just went to check if Darths and Droids had updated and found this:

http://chrishanel.tumblr.com/post/19196576643/spread-the-word-theft-is-theft

Dude's using an RSS feed to create an android app to "publish" numerous webcomics with his own advertisements beside them. Rather lame. Chris goes into greater detail on his blog. Please spread the word to the creators of the other comics as well.

Toxinthegreat
2012-03-13, 01:36 AM
Was just about to post about this. Oh well, at least Rich should get the message. :smallsmile:

titan_monarch
2012-03-13, 01:41 AM
Hah, I was just about to post this as well. Great minds think alike?

SaintRidley
2012-03-13, 01:59 AM
Likewise with the about to post.

This is so not cool on so many levels.

Math_Mage
2012-03-13, 02:34 AM
Quick, what's the solution to having no real value proposition? If you said "steal others' property and sell it off," you win!

Ksyr
2012-03-13, 07:06 AM
Was just about to post too. I'll just bump this instead.

Alesayr
2012-03-13, 07:15 AM
As was I. I learned about it through Darths and Droids, which was also being ripped off.
We must have blood!!!

The Underlord
2012-03-13, 09:18 AM
As was I. I learned about it through Darths and Droids, which was also being ripped off.
We must have blood!!!

Same here.

Musta Nuoli
2012-03-13, 10:05 AM
It seems that a lot of people have discovered this rip-off after reading the warning that was linked on Darths & Droids. I was also planning to post this warning here, but fortunately others did it before me.

Hopefully Rick Burlew and the other comic creators will sue this guy. This is an outrageous violation of their rights. Stealing other people's intellectual property and making money out of it must be stopped.

Some of the Kickstarter's 1,2 million dollars could be used to hire a bloodthirsty Lawful Evil lawyer and let him make an Attack Of Opportunity towards this Android app guy.

The Underlord
2012-03-13, 10:15 AM
Can anyone actually find this app on an android device? I can't find it on the kindle fire, but I may not be looking hard enough. I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-13, 10:32 AM
Just a thought, has anyone thought to PM the Giant with this information, just in case he hasn't seen it yet?

Armitage
2012-03-13, 11:08 AM
Can anyone actually find this app on an android device? I can't find it on the kindle fire, but I may not be looking hard enough. I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it.
This app can still be found on the Plays Store (Google's rebranded Android Market).

Mordokai
2012-03-13, 11:15 AM
He's also doing CAD?

That poor, poor bastard... I feel pity for him :smallbiggrin:

Hbgplayer
2012-03-13, 12:21 PM
He's also doing CAD?

That poor, poor bastard... I feel pity for him :smallbiggrin:

I don't (assuming you are talking about the creator of the App). From what I understand, he is ripping people off at two ends of the spectrum: the creators of said comics, and the consumers who may be unaware of the fact that said comics are available for free.
Those types of people are nothing better than theives and should be strung up by their toenails and hit with a cane once for every dollar they've charged their "customers":smallfurious:

Or just hog-tie him in a room with all the artists. :smallamused:

Gadora
2012-03-13, 12:41 PM
Just found out about this from Ursula Vernon's blog. (She did Digger.) Glad to see that someone beat me to making the thread.

jmucchiello
2012-03-13, 01:41 PM
What a moron! I hope someone else comes along and creates basically the same app but gets permission first and shares the revenue with the comic creators. I'm sure a lot of comic creators would like a new revenue stream.

The Giant
2012-03-13, 03:02 PM
I've taken care of this on my end, so I'm going to close this thread rather than have it devolve into anything ugly.