PDA

View Full Version : Quick Alienist Change?

bokodasu
2012-03-13, 09:37 AM
I have a player who wants to be an Alienist - but wants it to really be a more summoning-focused class and doesn't want to lose all the cool creatures with special abilities. I feel like all the other abilites are self-balanced (what they take is roughly equal to what they give), but pseudonatural isn't really any better than celestial or fiendish, so I'm sympathetic to his point.

I thought about redoing the summons list with thematically appropriate creatures, but I don't really want to do that much work.

Would it be crazy powerful to let him still summon the "forbidden" creatures off the list, but deny them the benefits of Augment Summoning? Most of them rely on things other than strength so it's not much of a nerf, but on the other hand, does it need to be? (We'd fluff it as the Alien Transcendence ability, giving the creature a weird feature - not enough to give it the benefits of the pseudonatural Alternate Form, but enough to indicate that it's really an alien who's just exceptionally good at imitating other creatures.)