PDA

View Full Version : Anyspell and magic items

Wookie-ranger
2012-03-13, 11:45 AM
a quick clarification,

Anyspell (spell domain, level 3 spell) allows you to cast any arcane spell of up to level 2.
ok, simply put instead of using that spell slot to cast a divine you prepare a level 1 or 2 arcane spell like a wizard would. you still need to have a spellbook and be able to read the it. so much so good.

would this allow you to use magic items (with a level 1 or 2 spell) with the spell completion/ spell trigger activation???

what about wiz scrolls and wands? a Cleric (w/ spell domain) an cast those spells and he even knows/learns them as arcane spells, not as divine.
RAW is very unclear to me.

Spell completion:

SRD: To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be of high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already
Bold me
the Cleric IS of the right class to cast the spell! there is no mention that it needs to be on the spell list of that class.

Spell trigger:

SRD: special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know bold me
well, the Cleric is an appropriate character, since he can indeed cast that spell.
but lets continue:

Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item
here it does mention the spell list, but it does not say that you HAVE TO have it on your spell list. it just gives an example of what an appropriate character would be (at least that's how i read it). a character with UMD is proof that you can activate spell trigger items without having the spell on you list, for example.

MORE power to the Clerics? Seriously? is there Anyreason not to take the spell domain if this works?

BTW: As a DM i would rule that you can only use spell completion/ trigger items if you have THAT particular spell prepared at the time. sounds reasonable to me.

bloodtide
2012-03-13, 01:26 PM
For scroll:

SRD says: To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.
The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
The user must have the requisite ability score.

So that is a simple no for scrolls.

For spell Spell Trigger-
SRD says Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell.

So if you don't have the spell on your spell list, sure sounds like you would not know how to use the spell trigger....

Deth Muncher
2012-03-13, 07:20 PM
Yeah, sorry, no. The only way I could see Anyspell flying to get around something like that might be for a PrC that wants you to be able to cast "2nd level Arcane spells" or something like that.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-13, 07:26 PM
Now that the thought's in my head, what about for item creation?

A Cleric with the Spell domain (and high enough level to level to cast Greater Anyspell) could possibly be the most diverse item creator in the Realms.

Deth Muncher
2012-03-13, 07:43 PM

A Cleric with the Spell domain (and high enough level to level to cast Greater Anyspell) could possibly be the most diverse item creator in the Realms.

Diverse...for 1st and 2nd level spells. But yeah, that should work.

Doug Lampert
2012-03-13, 09:57 PM

Except for any cleric with Miracle, which can emulate any level 8 or lower spell without costing XP unless the emulated spell costs XP.

But yeah, between levels 3 and 16 it saves you from needing to colaborate with a wizard.

deuxhero
2012-03-13, 10:04 PM

Still second rate in Eberron. Not to mention if an Artifcer is a planewalker.

Salanmander
2012-03-13, 10:14 PM
Yeah, sorry, no. The only way I could see Anyspell flying to get around something like that might be for a PrC that wants you to be able to cast "2nd level Arcane spells" or something like that.

...You mean like every Theurge? Would Cleric 5 (Spell domain)/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge X work? (The wizard 1 just to give you some arcane casting to advance.)

Note that I'm not saying that would be overpowered, and it's definitely a thematically appropriate progression. It would take you 4 levels into the Theurge to be able to cast anything you couldn't with anyspell, but it might be nice for the delicious spell slots for utility spells.

Deth Muncher
2012-03-14, 01:08 AM
...You mean like every Theurge? Would Cleric 5 (Spell domain)/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge X work? (The wizard 1 just to give you some arcane casting to advance.)

Note that I'm not saying that would be overpowered, and it's definitely a thematically appropriate progression. It would take you 4 levels into the Theurge to be able to cast anything you couldn't with anyspell, but it might be nice for the delicious spell slots for utility spells.

Actually...yeah, basically. :P Though if you're just throwing in a casting class for lulz there, I'd say go Sorcerer or Bard, since they both key off of Cha, as does a few things for Cleric.

Aliek
2012-03-14, 01:19 AM
Actually...yeah, basically. :P Though if you're just throwing in a casting class for lulz there, I'd say go Sorcerer or Bard, since they both key off of Cha, as does a few things for Cleric.

You see, now that I think of it, a persisted arcane spellsurge on such a build would give so much action economy... Spellsurge only affects arcane spells, while you can cast both arcane and divine. Sounds nice to me, tough you need a spellcaster level of 13 on the arcane side. How to persist arcane spellsurge, tough? I'd say southern magician, maybe, but I'm a bit sleepy atm, so that may not work.