PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self Question 3.5

Anodos
2012-03-13, 12:17 PM
I am thinking about getting the spell alter self for my gnome bard. Before I pick it I have a question about the spell. Since I am a small character if I turn into a medium humanoid what happens to my armor? Does it meld into my body or can a medium sized character fit into armor for a small character? I am using a chain shirt if that matters.

gbprime
2012-03-13, 12:29 PM
When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.
Since a Medium creature can't use Small armor, I'd say it's pretty clear that it takes the "melds and becomes nonfunctional" option.

Anodos
2012-03-13, 12:43 PM
Thats what I was thinking, but does that mean if I decide to turn into an elf that I am naked since my clothes would be to small to fit?

bloodtide
2012-03-13, 12:57 PM
More or less you would be naked, though some clothing might stretch to fit.

But as D&D is a Hasbro game, you could say 'all clothing changes shape to match your new form' to keep the game rated G. Even if that makes no sense and just keeps the soccer moms happy.

Elric VIII
2012-03-13, 01:09 PM
IIRC, magic clothing and armor is capable of shaping to fit appendages/bodies of intended wearers (assumin they have the appropriate body slots). Does this apply to resizing based on polymorphing?

tyckspoon
2012-03-13, 01:53 PM
Wondrous Items and Rings (which typically covers clothing) are assumed to either magically resize or to be constructed in such a way that they can easily be fitted to most creatures. Armor and weapons are size-locked.