PDA

View Full Version : The Tomb of Horrors (IC)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 01:15 PM
Pathfinder RPG
The Tomb of Horrors

Chapter 1: Into the Labyrinth

Under a lost and lonely hill of grim and foreboding aspect lies a labyrinthine crypt. It is filled with terrible traps and not a few strange and ferocious monsters to slay the unwary. It is filled with rich treasures both precious and magical, but in addition to the aforementioned guardians, there is said to be a demi-lich who still wards his final haunt.

Rising out of the mist-shrouded swamp is a great grey hill. On the side are three giant, moss-covered stone doors, roughly thirty feet apart from one another. The first is shut, the second is slightly ajar, and the third seems to have been broken down - revealing a passageway leading into darkness. Even though it would provide shelter from the cold and rain, the very thought of entering the tomb makes your stomach lurch.

OOC:
The OOC thread can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12889260#post12889260).

Please post all dice rolls in spoilers.

Xealot7
2012-03-13, 01:48 PM
Risca Stormbringer

The dutiful Dwarf continues looks at the three options. He brings a large weathered hand up to stroke his well kept beard. "Humph... I say we take the middle one. Of course, that will depend on what our sneak finds I guess."

JackMage666
2012-03-13, 02:02 PM
Friggit Torl

The witch looks disturbed at the tomb. "I'll never understand why people are buried in these... things. Better to rot back into nature, the way the Obad-hai intended." He is unassuming and unkempt in appearance, with little regard to the modern fashions. He's young, but appears to have a permanent hunch when he walks. His long, smooth black hair doesn't match the rest of his ruddy exterior.

nazgulnine
2012-03-13, 04:01 PM
Grognard Bearclaw

Drawing his blade and using it to cut mild brush from his path, Grognard stops at the three doors and looks to his companions.
"We have come far, brothers. Quickly, let us bravely enter, and bravely split whatever lurks within these halls from the crown to the teeth!"

raspberrybadger
2012-03-13, 04:49 PM
Lir

Lir takes a look at his companions, his eyes lingering speculatively a moment on Risca. Then he steps forward, saying "I'm not precisely sneaky... but I've... been some odd places before. I'm going to take a cautious look. With that, Lir takes a look at the doors, and makes a quick search to see if there are any hidden entrances or traps here.

Perception [roll0], +2 for the purposes of finding traps. Also, Lir gets an automatic Per check whenever he comes within 10' of a trap. Right now in broad daylight at +11, but in shadows and with his draught activated, at +18

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-13, 04:52 PM
Poblib Mills

Poblib observed the tomb. He remembered all that he knew about it, and tried to make sense from it.
He looked at the party of adventurers he was traveling with. They didn't know each other too much, but he had come to respect the abilities of its members during their short trip.

Ok, now it's my show. Poblilb, don't ruin it

"We should be careful from now on.

The middle door is already open, and may well be the entrance, left open by a preceding party of mostly dead adventurers.

But I don't like it. I think we should at least observe the doors in more detail before advancing.

I think I'd like to start on observing the Broken Door, and try to put some light on that passageway, at least to make sure that monsters are not using it as a camp."

Ragnar readied his shortbow and prepared an arrow.

"But I'm open to opinions, of course"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 05:11 PM
Lightning cracks in the background, and the raindrops get larger and colder. The howling wind stings your cheeks and makes your eardrums throb.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-13, 05:32 PM
Poblib aproaches the Broken Door carefully with his bow ready on his hand, and tries to see anything strange (Such as a trap or a hidden door) on the passageway.

[roll0]

+ 2 (Trapfinding)
+13 (Skill rank)
+4 to Perception when looking for hidden objects (Canny Observer, EX)
Total: +19

Low Light vision

Trap Sense: +1 to save roll (dex) against traps and +1 dodge bonus to AC (traps)

"Lir, what are your thoughts? Do you see anything?"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 05:40 PM
Poblib sees a hallway, eight feet tall an five feet wide. It goes on for roughly twenty feet before ending in a pair of stone double doors. In front of the double doors is roughly two thirds of a skeleton worth of charred bones belonging to some humanoid creature bulkier than a human.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-13, 05:57 PM
"Gods, that's great. This day is going to start early. And the rain... Ominous"

"Gentlemen (And lady): Look at the end of the passageway. Do you see the burned bones? I bet 5 gp that it stepped on the wrong cobblestone, or tried to open the door. By the way, can anyone tell what was it?

On the other hand, it's starting to rain. We could enter the passage and hope it doesn't collapse"

Poblib chuckled at his own joke. He didn't think it was funny, but it was better than nothing.

nazgulnine
2012-03-13, 06:36 PM
"You just let Grognard take care of this kinda work. And please, keep an eye on that door. I don't want some sorcery blowing down on my head." Stooping to check on the skeleton, Grognard spits to one side as he rummages through the bones, clacking a pair of them together, bringing the bones to his ears. He takes one of the bones and sniffs it, taking a better glance at the more intact portions of the remains. "Anybody think these'll make a cool necklace?"

knowledge: nature check. [roll0]

EDIT: For further reference, is there a skull belonging to the array, or some sort of large bone we can use to throw down the darkened path?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 06:49 PM
Grognard deduces that the skeleton belonged to a half ogre.

There are several large bones, and a cracked skull missing its jaw.

JackMage666
2012-03-13, 06:56 PM
Friggit looks anxiously to the sky. The rain, friends, seems to be urging us to advance. Any sign of what happened to him?

Xealot7
2012-03-13, 07:08 PM
Risca Stormbringer

Risca draws his axe, feeling uneasy in this place. "Normally I would say we should be respectful of the bones, but this seems to be the only way to put an end to this menace."

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-13, 07:14 PM
"I am not fan of playing with the dead either, but it's necesary. At this time, he (Or she) could be our only sign on a trap. Let me check this area more closely."

Poblib looks for traps in the double doors, and the adjacent area.

[roll0]+ 2 (Trapfinding)
+13 (Skill rank)

Low Light vision

Trap Sense: +1 to save roll (dex) against traps and +1 dodge bonus to AC (traps)

While he conducts the search, Poblid adds:
"Maybe I won't find anything, but we can't be too sure"

raspberrybadger
2012-03-13, 07:57 PM
Lir

Lir says "Just a moment, need to be safe", and drinks a vial of some glowing blue liquid.

Ablative Barrier, +2 armour that doesn't stack with physical mail, and ablates 5 damage per attack. Duration 4 hours

He waits the span of 10 breaths after Poblib goes forward, and if nothing happens, checks for traps as well.

]Per [roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 08:06 PM
When Poblib touches the door, a charge of destructive magic surges through his hand and into his arm. The tips of his fingers turn to ash; the blood in his arm boils, causing veins to burst; his muscles are twisted beyond their natural limits, and his bones crack.

He takes [roll0] damage, which can be halved with a successful DC 15 Fortitude save. In addition, he takes 5 damage every turn as his body breaks down until you can find some way to stop the magic.

Xealot7
2012-03-13, 08:29 PM
Risca rushes to Poblib's side and Lays his Hands on the man, letting the positive magic rush over his wounds.

Lay on Hands: [roll0]

JackMage666
2012-03-13, 08:50 PM
"Oh my!" the witch crys out, and rushes to the wounded man. While walking, he mutters gibberish to himself, and touches him when he gets near.

Healing Hex, Poblib cannot benefit again from it for 24-hours.
[roll0]

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-13, 08:54 PM
To save time I'll roll the Save, just in case.

[roll0]

Poblib screams in pain as the black magic hurts him.

"DISPEL MEEEE!!!! DISPEEEEEL MEEEEEE!! FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!"

"You idiot, I told you!"

JackMage666
2012-03-13, 09:34 PM
"Hush, the gods only grant me so much power."

Spellcraft roll to determine the spell?
[roll0]

nazgulnine
2012-03-13, 09:57 PM
Grognard swears with the fury of twelve men upon seeing the rogue's condition.
"Brother, stay strong! We will find some way to lift you of this curse!"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 10:42 PM
When the healing magic washes over Poblib, he stops expiring.

Xealot7
2012-03-13, 11:52 PM
Risca Stormbringer

"That is good. My hope was that the Positive Energy would counteract that of the Negative." Risca keeps his eyes moving around for any thing out of place.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-14, 05:07 AM
Poblib got up trembling, the pain was stopping

"Thanks, Risca and Friggit. I owe you my life,and I believe we hace learned one of the rules to survive this duingeon: DO NOT TOUCH THE DOORS"

Poblib observer the door, keeping a respectful distance.

"This may well be a trap. In a "false door that kills you" trap, I mean.
I can't think of a way to bypass it, and don't dare to see if the magic wore off. Do you think that throwing something like a stick against it would work to see if it's still charged?"

raspberrybadger
2012-03-14, 12:04 PM
Lir

Lir adds in a calmly analytical way "An animal would be more reliable than a stick. We're still close enough to the outside that we could pick up a rat or something. Or, we could throw a stick at it. Then, I could touch it with a pole. Then, we could try opening the door without actually touching it. Worst case, I'm partially protected from the damage.

JackMage666
2012-03-14, 03:38 PM
The with yells out a shirl "ABSOLUTELY NOT! You will NOT be harming any small, innocent creatures to test the lethality of this door! Do it yourself, don't subject a helpless scavenger to death because YOU want treasure. A vile attitude for an elf to..." He glares at Lir, until a light squeaking is heard underneath his cloak. He breaks his gaze, and a small right climbs it's way out of a before hidden pocket and onto his shoulder. "Hush, Shikki, this man won't harm you." He feeds her a small piece of dried fruit, and the rat retreats back to her pocket with it.

He composes himself, and takes a breath. "Give me a moment, I'll tell you whether or not the door is still magically charged."

Casting Detect Magic, maintaining it for at least the 3 rounds (assuming no combat breaks out or anything of that sort) to see if the door is magical or not, and if so, attempting to identify the spell and properties of the trap. Not sure if you want Knowledge (Arcana) or Spellcraft, but my modifier is the same on both, so I'll just roll to save time)

Knowledge (Arcana)/Spellcraft
[roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-14, 03:41 PM
The door gives off a moderate aura of magic.

JackMage666
2012-03-14, 04:17 PM
"Hm. It is still imbued with magical energies, though I am unable to detect the exact effect. It is fairly strong, though, as our friend can no doubt attest. Suggestions?

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-14, 05:14 PM
Poblib was starting to regain his whole self. The pain had mostly receded, though his fingers still stung a little.

"Well, as an alternative, we could test the other doors.
This one looks like a dead end, specially if it turns out that this door reacts to inert matter such as wood or metal. I can test for that by firing an arrow against the door, but I'd prefer to see what the other gates have to offer first. I don't mean to take it personally, but I don't want to see this dammed door ever again."

poblib smiled

"If anybody wants, we could also try to dig under the door, but it would take a couple of days probably. I have a pick in my Bag of Holding."

Poblib watches the entrance to the tunnel, trying to see if the storm has started.

"Oh, new rule: You guys check for Magic just like we check for traps. Hehe."

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-14, 06:04 PM
Thunder cracks and the rain begins to beat down, blasting away the thin fog coating the swamp.

Xealot7
2012-03-14, 07:16 PM
Risca Stormbringer

"Shall we try another door then?" Risca waits patiently as the rain start falling on him.

raspberrybadger
2012-03-14, 07:20 PM
Lir

Lir thinks for a moment, then says "I say we keep trying this door. At least we know what the obstacle is here. If we can't use a creature, we can at least start testing the door with non-living things. I'll start with an organic." With that, he tosses a little chunk of trail ration at the door, from a good distance, and sees what happens to it.

nazgulnine
2012-03-14, 07:46 PM
Grognard stands monolithically, arms folded over his chest as he stares intently at the three doors.
"Let the rains come. It is part of nature, and in these times of unnatural acts, we need hope for tomorrow. But if we don't pick up the pace, then I swear by my ancestor Nanuk Hamfist, I will become irate!"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-14, 08:00 PM
When the jerked meat touches the door, there is a hissing sound, and a puff of smoke is released. It seems as if the door burned it.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-14, 08:25 PM
Poblib saw the meat being burned, and felt a drop of cold sweat going down his back.

"Well... that brought back bad memories. Seriously, let's check the other doors first. If they somehow offer worst chances than this one, we can always come back."

Poblib starts to walk towards the entrance.

"One of the doors outside looked battered, like an Old Gate. Why don't we try that one?"

JackMage666
2012-03-14, 09:04 PM
"Indeed, Poblib, we do search for magic as you tiny contraptions, however, merely seeing the magic doesn't normally harm us... Normally. There are... exceptions." Friggit thinks to himself and shudders. He follows the rogue out, maintaining his spell and scanning the closed door we haven't tried.

Not sure if I see anything, of course, but if I do, attempting to identify, rolling to save time again.

Knowledge (arcana)/Spellcraft
[roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-14, 09:21 PM
No magic is detected around the tightly shut door.

JackMage666
2012-03-14, 09:31 PM
"This one is not magical, I belief." He says, indicating the closed door. "As for that..." he indicates the open passage, "We'll need someone with craftier eyes, friends."

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-15, 07:49 AM
Poblib nodded.

"Yes, we do. Just to open that door without touching would be a feat.
And this is just the entrance. We are going to have to really watch out in there once we enter.

I'll check to look for any hidden mechanisms or traps in this door"

I'm checking for traps:

[roll0]
+ 2 (Trapfinding)
+13 (Skill rank)

Low Light vision

Xealot7
2012-03-15, 10:10 AM
Risca Stormbringer

Risca waits patiently to see if there are any traps. "Careful my friend"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-15, 10:34 AM
No traps are detected.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-15, 06:27 PM
"Thank the gods"

Poblib exhaled again, happy that the door had not zapped him.

"The door doesn't appear to be trapped. Anyone see anything strange? I could try opening it, and checking for a lock."

"You wouldn't believe how often I say that to myself, Risca."

Do I need another check to observe the roof and floor, or the one I made included them? Just playing safe here

Xealot7
2012-03-15, 06:50 PM
Risca Stormbringer

Risca looks to Poblib. "You took one on the chin the first time, if you say it's clear, I'll open the door." Risca walks to the door and tries to push it open.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-15, 06:58 PM
Poblib gave a quick glance to the ceiling above the door

[roll0] +19

"Wait a second, Risca..."

IF IT'S CLEAR, POBLIB SAYS:

"Sorry, I thought I saw something, go ahead"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-15, 07:04 PM
The door swings open without anything problematic happening.

Xealot7
2012-03-15, 08:09 PM
Risca Stormbringer

"That wasn't so bad. You ready to take point again Poblib?"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-15, 11:41 PM
Beyond the door is a stircase which slopes downwards at a 45-degree angle, going on for twenty feet. After that, the ground levels out, and goes on for ten feet before ending in another door.

JackMage666
2012-03-15, 11:51 PM
With a subtle jerking and innane muttering, Friggit puts a hand on Poblib. "Spirits protect those foolish enough for your profession." He smiles, and Poblib feels a bit safer.

Ward Hex on Poblib, he gets +2 Deflection to AC, and +2 Resistance bonus to All Saves, until he is hit or fails a savings throw.

These don't stack with Cloak of Resistance or Ring of Protection, but they should help a little.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-16, 05:48 AM
Poblib smiles:

"Well then, with the help of the spirits, and this 10 foot pole, I'll get to work. Shall we start, Friggit? Please keep checking for magic, if we work as a team we will bypass any trap, magical or not, mostly unharmed.

You should stay 2 or 3 steps above me just in case, and tell me if you see anything. If it's clear, I want to advance enough to see the end of the staircase more clearly, there we shall stop and try to hear any noise in the hallway ahead, as well as any sign of mischief."

Poblib starts checking the walls and observs the floor and roof (He has his 10 foot pole in one hand and the Everburning torch in the other), as well as every step in the ladder. He doesn't touch the steps with his hand, instead he uses the pole, and as little as necessary.

Xealot7
2012-03-16, 07:11 AM
Risca Stormbringer

Risca follows close behind the two searching for traps. If they are to be his protection against traps, he wants to be their protection against creatures.

nazgulnine
2012-03-16, 02:15 PM
Grognard snaps out of his daydream upon hearing the doors open and picks up his sword, chasing after the group.
"Finally, the damn door is open! Good work, little brother!"
The barbarian stays close to Risca, his eyes peeled for any sign of movement.

JackMage666
2012-03-16, 02:50 PM
Friggit nods, "I cannot identify magic as quickly as you can traps, but I can maintain my sense."

Keeping Detect Magic up. Since it's a cantrip, I can recast it as needed. Anytime I sense more auras than the party would be eminating (since all our magic items would have faint auras, at least,) I'll take time to find the source, and the effect, if applicable.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-16, 03:07 PM
I forgot to roll for traps the last time, here is the roll:

[roll0]
Applied bonuses:
+ 2 (Trapfinding)
+13 (Skill rank)
Low Light vision

Trap Sense: +1 to save roll (dex) against traps and +1 dodge bonus to AC (traps), this last one is passive and is not a bonus on the roll.

raspberrybadger
2012-03-17, 01:57 AM
Lir

Lir slips his hand into his pack, and downs today's draught, saying This lasts but two thirds an hour. But if there are dangers visible, or even covered by darkness, this should help."

With that, he follows Poblib, checking for traps as he goes, in so far as this can be done without touching. As he says dryly, If we can't see a trap on something, that just means we don't know what it will do to us if we touch it... He intends to keep going until some danger is revealed on this route.

Trap finding +18, +4 ranks, +4 draught, +1 wis, +2 elf, +2 alertness, +2 trapfinding, +3 owl bonus when in shadows or darkness

Xealot7
2012-03-17, 12:27 PM
Risca Stormbringer

Risca continues to follow behind the Rogue, keeping an eye out for danger.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-20, 08:16 PM
The door at the bottom is black and ornate. It is also ever-so-slightly open.

Xealot7
2012-03-20, 08:24 PM
Risca Stormbringer Male Dwarf Paladin

"What say you magic and trap detectors?"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-20, 08:36 PM
A feint aura of magic emanates from the door.

nazgulnine
2012-03-20, 08:48 PM
Grognard moves in closer, eyes focused on the door's design. Even if he didn't know what dangers it held, he knew too many tales of the dangers of finely-crafted doors.
"Tread softly, brothers. One cannot tread too softly. And don't get yourselves killed."

Upon reaching eye-level with the opened door, rolling to check for anything just on the other side.

Perception: [roll0]

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-20, 08:56 PM
An open door? I would prefer to find a dragon!

Was it a trap? Was someone waiting behind?

Whispering:
"Speak in whispers, friends, there may be something waiting behind"

Poblib tried to see if light was coming from behind the door.
He also concentrated his sight in the floor, roof and frame of the door, to see any strange details.

He tried not to touch anything for now, and tried to know more.

[roll0]

Applied bonuses:
+ 2 (Trapfinding)
+13 (Skill rank)
Low Light vision

Trap Sense: +1 to save roll (dex) against traps and +1 dodge bonus to AC (traps), this last one is passive and is not a bonus on the roll.

JackMage666
2012-03-20, 08:59 PM
"Wait, don't get too close... Something's off about that door..." Friggit stares intently at the ornate door, attempting to figure out exactly what magics are involved.

Try to identify the effect.
Knowledge (Arcana) or Spellcraft, whichever applicable.
[roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-20, 09:01 PM
No traps are found at the door, or surrounding it.

the magic emanating from the door seems to be of the divination school.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-20, 09:02 PM
"Thanks, Friggit, I'll make sure not to touch it"

Poblib kept on his watch.

JackMage666
2012-03-20, 09:34 PM
"It's unlikely a trap... In the traditional sense, anyway. More like an alarm or warning system. It shouldn't hurt you, but it may make whatever is deeper inside aware of our presence... Which would probably more of a problem had we been attempting stealth." Friggit sighs.

Xealot7
2012-03-21, 12:41 AM
Risca Stormbringer, Male Dwarf Paladin

"Want me to open it, or ye good?"

raspberrybadger
2012-03-24, 02:30 PM
Lir

Lir speaks up, addressing himself to Risca: "If it is an alarm, then it makes sense for you to go in first - either it matters not, or the first through the door is dangerous at close range. If it assaults the mind, then are you well prepared for that? If it assaults the body with magic, perhaps I am better protected. If it does something beyond our comprehension, I don't think we can really plan for that. But, since our magic expert thinks alarm, then I'm in agreement with you going through first."

Xealot7
2012-03-24, 06:54 PM

"I'll be able to bear it." With his axe and shield at the ready, the Dwarf proceeds. He pushes the door open with his shield and activates his Detect Evil in conjunction with his darkvision to see what is beyond the door.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-24, 07:50 PM
As Risca steps through, he feels a stange buzzing in his head and behind his eyes. However, as soon as he notices the sensation, it passes.

The hallway stretches off for about ten feet before coming to another door, also slightly ajar. Pained on the hallway's walls is an elaborate, but somewhat eroded mural depicting some kind of rolling farmland.

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-25, 09:46 AM
"Risca, everything allright?"

Poblib advances and keeps detecting traps behind the door, behind Risca.

[roll0]

Applied bonuses:
+ 2 (Trapfinding)
+13 (Skill rank)
Low Light vision

Xealot7
2012-03-25, 10:23 AM

Risca shakes his head back and forth for a moment. "I'm fine... I think."

nazgulnine
2012-03-25, 01:59 PM
Grognard stays close with the group and examines the mural in passing.
"It looks like the previous denizen of this cairn appreciated the countryside."

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-03-27, 11:34 AM
"Yes, it looks like it. It's really old, looks a little damaged. Could it be caused by acid, or is it just this old?"

raspberrybadger
2012-03-27, 05:55 PM
Lir

Lir walks beside the rogue, on the theory that two pairs of eyes are more likely to spot the traps he figures have got to be somewhere in here.