PDA

View Full Version : Change is Hard

Karoht
2012-03-13, 01:15 PM
We all know someone like this. Relatives, friends, co workers, customers, etc.

"Well, 10 years ago it was like this..."
Thats nice. It's not 10 years ago. Wake up. Grow up. Deal with it. Move on.

"Before, that was located over there"
We moved it. Things move.

"Back in 3.5 it worked this way."
We're playing Pathfinder. Seriously, do try and keep up.

"Bob always let me do it that way."
Bob doesn't work here anymore, Bob made an exception for you, Bob left no notation regarding this exception. Now I have to take your word that you even had a conversation with Bob about this. And if I don't take your word, you'll be rude to me as though you are entitled to, make a fuss, try and get me into trouble, and leave negative comments for my boss to review with me later.

"In 'my day' people didn't need to prove their identity"
Awesome. In your day, these kinds of fraud were invented, and the rules that now dictate that I have to ask you for ID were also invented. Can I hold 'my day' responsible for instituting rules that I don't like either but are forced to uphold?

"In 'my day' people were more responsible!"
Back in your day, people could walk into a bar, ask for a drivers license, and then drive a car. And probably slug back a beer with the guy who gave you the license (a government employee) before driving away. If that is what you considered responsible... well at least you can still drink beer and drive a golf cart.

Worira
2012-03-13, 01:17 PM
In my day, people made forum posts with a point.

Karoht
2012-03-13, 01:23 PM
In my day, people made forum posts with a point.
In my day, we let the obvious point of a post speak for itself.

bluewind95
2012-03-13, 01:28 PM
Back in my day, we were more tolerant of people's nostalgia over things in the past.

:smalltongue:

Karoht
2012-03-13, 01:39 PM
Back in my day, we were more tolerant of people's nostalgia over things in the past.

:smalltongue:

World of difference between nostalgia and stubborn or arguementative behavior (that sometimes borders on abusive) over changes. Especially when it is backwards or contradictory.
People seem to want to waste someone's time and be rude to them over changes they refuse to even try to cope with, this is what I take offence to.

Not directed at you Bluewind, but why is it that the Nostalgia crowd always seem to be the first people to defend negative behavior when it relates to change? Why is Nostalgia considered an exceptable excuse when someone puts up a hate and expletive filled diatribe regarding why X new thing is worse than Y old thing? It's practically a trope now. Don't like a change? Say whatever you feel like, insult whoever you want, hide behind Nostalgia as defense.

Starscream
2012-03-13, 01:49 PM
In my day the internet was just two old men who'd sit outside the barbershop playing checkers and gossiping!

If you wanted music, you had to give them some beer money and hope they'd brought their jug and harmonica that day!

If you wanted to stream a movie, Bill would tell you about how last time he went into the big city he saw a Charlie Chaplin short, and that he "was really funny for a foreigner"!

If you wanted adult materials, you had to slip Henry a nickel and he'd show you the tattoo he got of a dancer when he was in the war!

The worst problem was the bandwidth. Two guys isn't a lot of internet for a whole town, so a line would usually form. It was faster, before they started engaging in Data Throttling.

Poor old Tom Data...having a third guy there made all the difference, but they caught him cheating at checkers and throttled him.

dehro
2012-03-13, 02:15 PM
my mum is a prime example of this.. the one such argument that creeps up every year is as follows:
we live in Italy, she is Dutch and Jewish (as am I, but I spent most of my teens to adult life here). on the first evening of Pasover we go to visit a family of friends and have the traditional evening meal together with them.
pretty much one of the very few things we do about being jewish at all..
since they're our hosts, of course, we do the singing/praying/chanting bits their way. this means following Sefardic traditions, melody and rythm. I grew up learning it this way but still remember my earliest childhood in Amsterdam, where we'd do it the Ashkenazy way.
every year, my mother brings up the fact that she isn't used to the sefardic way and that she likes "her way" better. after 25 years of doing it the sefardic way you'd think she'd learned..but no.

the fun bit?
a couple of years ago we went to Amsterdam to celebrate my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. for the occasion we attended the Shabbat service at her sister's place, with pretty much the entire Dutch side of the family.... AND 2 members of the family we share Pasover dinner with in Italy, who'd been invited along.
my mother started to complain because my uncle, an orthodox Ashkenazy through and through who's always lived in the very neighbourhood where she'd "learned it her way" was doing it wrong, or at least, not as she remembered it.
both me and the italian guests laughed about this for the rest of the day, whilst my mother was deeply incensed and depressed over memories of things important to her being taken over by the times changing.

valadil
2012-03-13, 02:26 PM
A couple years ago I went to a con panel about gaming as you grow older. My group was having more trouble meeting as people took their jobs more seriously and even when we did have the free time, nobody was able to prep for and run a weekly session. On top of that I'd just found out my wife was pregnant so that was a whole new level of life to schedule around. I figured I might learn a thing or two about how people manage to find time for a game when life takes over.

Nope! It started out with gamers twice my age pining for the good ole days of Chainmail. That was fine, I have my nostalgia game too (though I'm less noisy about it). When we got to the actual panel part though it mostly just devolved into how to manipulate kids at gaming shops into running old editions of D&D.

Aedilred
2012-03-13, 06:20 PM
There's nothing wrong with being a little conservative (small c! - no politics here) It means you're less likely to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There's nothing wrong with nostalgia, so long as you're engaging with the present. Understanding where you've come from and why is pretty important to working out where you should be going, especially if you're worrying you've lost your way.

Not all change is for the better, just as not all change is for the worse. Perhaps rather than making massive generalisations about the difference between "then" and "now" it'd be a better idea to work out what the best features of each are, the reasons why they were present, and try to get the optimal balance between them.

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-13, 07:42 PM
You try and tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you!