PDA

View Full Version : Movies you're looking forward to?

danzibr
2012-03-13, 01:17 PM
Gotta say I'm looking forward to The Hunger Games, The Avengers and Wrath of the Titans. And you?

Velaryon
2012-03-13, 02:25 PM
The Avengers is definitely at the top of my list. In fact, it's the only one I could think of off the top of my head.

After doing some looking around online for what else is coming out this year, I'm somewhat interested in seeing Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Expendables 2. And of course the first Hobbit movie, though that's a long ways off yet.

SaintRidley
2012-03-13, 02:25 PM
[REC]3: Genesis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1649444/)

My most anticipated film of the year. September 7 cannot come soon enough.

Comet
2012-03-13, 03:05 PM
Avengers, even my girlfriend is excited for that. Crossovers make everyone giddy, especially since they are a rare treat in movies.

Iron Sky. I liked Star Wreck, I like nazis (just the fictional kind, mind) and I like the moon. Seems like a recipe for greatness.

Dark Knight Rises.

Abraham Lincoln, though that's more of a guilty pleasure. It could be cool but I kind of fear it will be pretty stupid.

And of course there's the Hobbit. Just look at them do their thing in the behind the scenes stuff! They're having so much fun out there, the end result can't be bad.

Starwulf
2012-03-13, 03:24 PM
Honestly, I tend to not look forward to any movie, for the most part. I don't look up movies beforehand, half the time a movie that comes out that I'm interested in, I only know about it because I saw a trailer for it, or, even more likely, it's box caught my eye in the local video rental store.

That being said, the next movie I'm looking forward to is the next Resident Evil movie(I'm sure some people are going "Ewww, RE movies suck", but I have enjoyed every single one of them, and will continue to enjoy each and every successive one that comes out). Beyond that...I don't think I can name any other ones.

Axolotl
2012-03-13, 03:36 PM
I'm looking forward to The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises for obvious reasons. I'm looking forward to Prometheus even more because well Ridley Scott doing Sci-Fi again, and the Weyland trailer was awesome. I'll certainly try to see Cabin in the Woods when it comes out. The Raid and Beyond the Black Rainbow have great trailers and I plan to see them both. Iron Sky sounds fun, as does Casa de mi Padre and the trailer I saw for The Hunger Games raised my interest. And finally I'm hoping the James Bond film will be good.

As a side note when chacking IMDB for upcoming films for this post I saw that an adaptation of On the Road is coming out this year, I think a small part of me died seeing that.

ThePhantom
2012-03-13, 06:53 PM
The Hobbit, bring on the dwarves!

Marillion
2012-03-13, 07:59 PM
John Dies At The End (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9Pr-W92SM).

One of my favorite books ever, and Doug Jones is in the movie? Yesplz.

danzibr
2012-03-13, 08:47 PM
*smacks forehead*

Of course, totally. Dark Knight Rises, yes. The Hobbit, yes. The next RE movie, yes. The Expendables 2, basically yeah. I like the first one a good bit. And the Abraham Lincoln movie looks like it could be awesome. It reminds me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUjG1HSSaGI).

Rae Artemi
2012-03-13, 08:57 PM
John Dies At The End (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9Pr-W92SM).

One of my favorite books ever, and Doug Jones is in the movie? Yesplz.

You, sir or madame, are a sheep after my own heart.

Horpan
2012-03-14, 04:47 AM
There are tons of movies I'm looking forward to, but on the top of the list there's (ofcourse!) The Hobbit.

I. Can't. Wait. :smallmad:

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-14, 05:04 AM
Coincidentally, I've got a list right here...

Man of Steel - a Zak Snyder film about Superman. What's not to like!
The Amazing Spiderman - a Spiderman movie WITHOUT Toby Whatshisname.
Peter and the Star Catchers - a movie version of a very decent Peter Pan prequel book.
The Alchemist - based on the book by Coelho. I just want to see him turn into the wind.

That's all, folks!

Dr.Epic
2012-03-14, 05:13 AM
Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, and the Hobbit

DigoDragon
2012-03-14, 07:46 AM
I'm looking forward to The Avengers. I'd like to know if Hollywood's greatest movie franchise gamble pays off. :smallsmile:

I did see a Japanese movie trailer for a live-action Kenshin movie. Assuming it's a real trailer, I would like to see that one come stateside.

pita
2012-03-15, 06:38 PM
The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, John Dies At The End, The Hobbit, God Bless America, and Abraham Lincoln.
And, of course, Iron Sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc)
I'd be anticipating Superman if only Zack Snyder hadn't lost all of my faith.

Dumbledore lives
2012-03-15, 06:41 PM
The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods, Much Ado About Nothing, The Perks of being a Wallflower.

There are reasons for the notable omissions above, but I don't really want to discuss them.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-03-15, 06:43 PM
very decent
That is not how you hype a movie. :smalltongue:

Julian84
2012-03-16, 06:45 AM
Hmmm.... The Hobbit, Avengers, Dark Knights Rises, Prometheus, Evangelion 3.0 (It at least brings me one step closer to an english dub), Brave, Skyfall (kinda), the Bourne Legacy, and the Hunger Games (kinda) are all movies I'm interested in seeing.

Spider-Man is iffy for me.

Yora
2012-03-16, 06:54 AM
I can honestly say, that there is no movie that is about to be released, or rumored to be in production, that I look forward to watch.

Now looking at this thread, I guess I might some day see the Hobbit, but until now I completely forgot it exists.

Totally Guy
2012-03-16, 07:21 AM
My dad has just finished work on a movie called The Children of Sorrow. He's got a supporting role.

Only trouble is it's apparently a pretty hardcore horror movie.

I can't get through horror movies... :smalleek:

GeekGirl
2012-03-16, 07:35 AM
Prometheus more than anything else this summer. Dark Knight rises takes second and Avengers at a close third.

dehro
2012-03-16, 07:35 AM
I suppose I'll have to go take my brother to watch the Avengers..which makes sense in a "gotta watch it on a big screen" kind of way.

the one I really am going to drool all over (with fingers crossed that PJ won't make a mess of it), is the Hobbit.

I'm not feeling the urge to go watch yet another batman movie... It can wait for home video

AtlanteanTroll
2012-03-16, 07:58 AM
The Dark Knight rises. That's it. The Hobbit is too far away to look forward to, and I'm skeptical of the Avengers.

Omergideon
2012-03-16, 08:41 AM
Breaking Dawn Part 2.

Also the Avengers, Dark Knight Rises with some reservations and possibly Expendables 2. And I think the new Bourne film comes out this year, a film I want to see.

Deepbluediver
2012-03-16, 10:45 AM
Gotta say I'm looking forward to The Hunger Games, ...

I'm kinda confused why people are getting all excited about a film of school-aged children fighting to the death.
The japanese beat the west to it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale) by at least a decade.

danzibr
2012-03-16, 11:00 AM
I'm kinda confused why people are getting all excited about a film of school-aged children fighting to the death.
The japanese beat the west to it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale) by at least a decade.
'Cuz I liked the books.

Deepbluediver
2012-03-16, 02:06 PM
'Cuz I liked the books.

....I had not considered that perfectly valid explanation. :smallfrown:

Generally I either read the books or watch the movie but not both. Maybe I'll wait until the move is out and then ask people what they recomend.

Matthias2207
2012-03-16, 03:59 PM
The Hobbit. Of course.
I actually first found out about the Hobbit movie when the Lord of the Rings Lego was announced. The people over at the BCN were pretty excited.
Saw the trailer of Wrath of the Titans (or something like that?), looks funny, but I'll probably never see it.
And another trailer I saw, John Carter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/). I'm not familiar with it, but it reminded me of the Prince of Persia movie (also, never saw it, just bought the Lego for the katanas:smalltongue:).
More movies... Was Ubisoft planning an Assassin's Creed movie or something? I'm not sure about that one, but I'd go see it.

Obrysii
2012-03-17, 06:52 AM
Men in Black 3, The Hobbit, The Avengers, and The Dark Knight Rises.

Yora
2012-03-17, 07:11 AM
That's exactly what I thought when I heard of it. "Isn't that a remake of Battle Royale?"

danzibr
2012-03-17, 07:39 AM
Men in Black 3[...]
Seconded. All the others in your post too, but my thoughts were already known on those.

Mauve Shirt
2012-03-17, 07:45 AM
People are excited about The Hunger Games because it's based on a book they all read when they were children. I never read the book, so I'm not excited.
I am looking forward to The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Hobbit.

Dumbledore lives
2012-03-18, 07:11 PM
I actually forgot that Evangelion 3 might be coming out, so I'm looking forward to that, if only for the bat**** insanity that it will entail. I'm also looking forward to Brave because it is a Pixar non-Cars movie.

CGforever!
2012-03-18, 08:51 PM
I'm surprised there's only one other person besides me who's excited about Prometheus.

Does the trailer remind anybody of the trailer for planescape?

Also, I just saw John Carter, it was really good.

Deepbluediver
2012-03-19, 08:03 AM
Also, I just saw John Carter, it was really good.

Any chance you could give me a quick summary of what it's about maybe? I've seen the trailers and all I can tell from that is it looks like the arena-scene in Attack of the Clones, sans lightsabers.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-19, 08:21 AM
Any chance you could give me a quick summary of what it's about maybe? I've seen the trailers and all I can tell from that is it looks like the arena-scene in Attack of the Clones, sans lightsabers.

It's the proto-pulp-science fiction series. Man is mysteriously transported to Mars, discovers the lower gravity means he has super-strength. Falls in love with a Martian princess, gets caught up in Martian politics and fights in Martian wars. Humanoid Martians = good guys, alien monster Martians = bad guys. That help any?

Omergideon
2012-03-19, 11:51 AM
People are excited about The Hunger Games because it's based on a book they all read when they were children. I never read the book, so I'm not excited.

I have never read any of the books, but the films look interesting to me and have a decent enough cast so I am looking forward to them. The aesthetic as well is quite good.

And I must admit I am looking forward to DKR less and less the more I see and hear about it. Odd that, though I did think Batman Begins was much better than The Dark Knight as a film so that may be it.

CGforever!
2012-03-19, 01:47 PM
Humanoid Martians = good guys, alien monster Martians = bad guys. That help any?

Actually there were good and bad on both sides, and plenty each.

Alex Star
2012-03-19, 02:18 PM

Hunger Games books came out starting in 2008... I hardly find that to be a very long gap between writing a book and gettinga movie made.

BTW Battle Royale releases on Blu-Ray tomorrow! Finally I can retire my old import copy haha.

Julian84
2012-03-19, 07:50 PM
Hunger Games books came out starting in 2008... I hardly find that to be a very long gap between writing a book and gettinga movie made.

I have to agree here. Seems less the "Beloved novel made into a movie" and more "A guaranteed franchise? Awesome!" situation to me. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first and second books well enough (though not enough to finish the series), but it smacks of moneygrab.

Mockingjay only came out two years ago. And while the first HP movie came out only four years after the first book was made, I still considered those movies to be moneygrabs as well. I'll reserve my final judgement for the Hunger Games for after I see how they handle the more intense moments.

Das Platyvark
2012-03-19, 07:58 PM
Hmmm.... The Hobbit, Avengers, Dark Knights Rises, Prometheus, Evangelion 3.0 (It at least brings me one step closer to an english dub), Brave, Skyfall (kinda), the Bourne Legacy, and the Hunger Games (kinda) are all movies I'm interested in seeing.

Spider-Man is iffy for me.

This is the one.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-19, 09:46 PM
Saw a trailer for a new film called Lockdown. Looks interesting. It's recycled in space!:smallbiggrin:

Pokonic
2012-03-19, 10:01 PM

Yeah, this. Most of the people I know (High schooler here) wish to see it rather badly considering that most got around reading the first one when they where in middle school.

Also, looking forword to Prometheus.

Das Platyvark
2012-03-20, 08:24 AM
My issue with the Hunger Games movie is that what gave the book its impact was the quite graphic violence therein. It really isn't glorified in any way, and tends to be completely horrific, and all onscreen. The problem here being that for the age of most of the people of who will be going to see this (5th,6th grade through some of highschool, at my guess) they will have to tone it down. Which means taking away some of the impact of the book, etc., turning it into a normal action movie.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-20, 09:48 AM
My issue with the Hunger Games movie is that what gave the book its impact was the quite graphic violence therein. It really isn't glorified in any way, and tends to be completely horrific, and all onscreen. The problem here being that for the age of most of the people of who will be going to see this (5th,6th grade through some of highschool, at my guess) they will have to tone it down. Which means taking away some of the impact of the book, etc., turning it into a normal action movie.

You can get away with quite a lot of violence in a PG-13 rating if it's not excessively gory. There's still hope.

dehro
2012-03-20, 09:53 AM
I just found out that apparently Michael Bay's interpretation of the TMNT franchise will retcon their origin as aliens from outer space

why not let him redo mary poppins while he's at it...she could be a sweet transvestite, from transexual transilvania..:smallamused:

Julian84
2012-03-20, 09:53 AM

Mm, this and also the psychological aspect as it gets nearer to the end e.g. Katniss using a fake relationship to get what she wants, Katniss facing the mutts, Katniss having to reconcile herself with killing Peeta. If they up-play that, I'll be content.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-03-20, 10:10 AM
Prometheus is the main movie I waiting for. Dark Knight as well.

why not let him redo mary poppins while he's at it...she could be a sweet transvestite, from transexual transilvania..:smallamused:

I'd watch that! :smallbiggrin:

Reverent-One
2012-03-20, 10:14 AM

I didn't find the violence in the novel particular graphic. I believe most of the deaths occur off-screen to begin with, and most of the ones that don't can easily be handled in Lord of the Rings style PG-13 combat (which is generally bloodless and uses quick cuts that don't overly focus on wounds). Really there's only a couple of scenes that I think there might be some trouble with:

The first being the wasp induced hallucination of reaching through the decaying corpse of one of the other characters to get the bow, which is an unimportant scene all things considered. The other one being the mutts themselves, which may be more from a psychological standpoint rather than anything visual, so it could still be no problem.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-20, 10:24 AM
I just found out that apparently Michael Bay's interpretation of the TMNT franchise will retcon their origin as aliens from outer space

After what he did to the Transformers, I'm not even slightly phased.

TheZenMaster
2012-03-21, 07:46 AM
The thing im scared off in the avengers is just its throwing ALL the eggs into the basket.

Its just a 2/3 chance it will suck:

1: Its awesome! =D

2: Its unmemorable. I am disappoint. D=

3: It sucks. D=

Karoht
2012-03-22, 02:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_released_in_2012

Battleship-The camp, and I am curious. Kind of like poking a corpse with a stick.
Pirates, Band of Misfits-3D stop motion animation about Pirates. Kid friendly film. Yes, I am a big child at heart.
Dark Shadows-Tim Burton, dark comedy. I have good hopes but reasonable expections.
The Dictator-I might actually watch a Sasha Cohen comedy while it is in theatres.
Snow White and the Huntsmen-Okay, I'm not keen on their choice of the Twilight starlet as Snow White, but the art direction is striking. It's kind of like how striking Legend was back in the day. Might be some serious potential here.
Total Recall-All I've seen is concept work. That's all I needed. I can't wait to see this.
Dredd-A Judge Dredd movie? What? Cheese factor alone necessitates that I see this.
Frankenweenie-Really? Do I have to explain this one?
Rise of the Guardians-Hugh Jackman as the Easter Bunny. Sold.
Les Mis-It's Les Mis. What more do I need to explain here?

But most of all, I look forward to...
The Final Part of Twilight-I won't watch it. But damn will I cheer when it hits so that we can hasten the death of this franchise and people eventually stop talking about it.

dehro
2012-03-22, 08:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_released_in_2012

Battleship-The camp,

wait...they're making a movie from the game?

then I want to watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l24k_KQg84k)

Axolotl
2012-03-23, 09:38 AM
I'm just seen a trailer for Cosmopolis and I think it should be pretty good.

Now I just need to finish reading the book.

Trailer here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCFB-WPe9Ic)

Yora
2012-03-23, 09:41 AM
wait...they're making a movie from the game?

then I want to watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l24k_KQg84k)
Still waiting for the Tetris-Movie... :smallannoyed:

-Sentinel-
2012-03-23, 11:05 AM
I just went to a midnight screening of The Hunger Games.

I'm one of those fans who are always critical of film adaptations, but let me tell you this was one of the best I have ever seen. The plot was excellently distilled: no important scene was omitted, and every scene showed was important. The characters were pretty much as I imagined them (except maybe Haymitch, who I saw as ugly and ravaged-looking and ended up ruggedly handsome).

I think someone who hasn't read the book can easily follow the plot. Most of the exposition that came from the narration in the book is well inserted in the dialogues. We also get to see things that the first-person narration of the book didn't show us, such as what happens behind the scenes of the Hunger Games: the Gamemakers plotting, Haymitch looking for sponsors, a riot in District 11, etc.

Of course, they had to remove some character interaction. For example, the friendship between Katniss and Rue doesn't run as deep, as there was less time to develop it. But they did pretty much the best they could with 142 minutes.

As for the violence... They toned down some of the goriest scenes, but that's understandable for marketing purposes, and I don't think it diminished the book's themes and message in any way.

Four stars.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-03-23, 12:50 PM
I'm looking forward to The Hunger Games, The Hobbit, and of course Brave. Oh my god I am so excited for Brave. I love Pixar.

Maxios
2012-03-23, 12:56 PM
The Avengers
The new Spider-Man
The Hobbit

I didn't enjoy the new Batman movies, so I'm not interested in the DKR; and I since I despised the Hunger Games books, I doubt I'll like the movie :smallyuk:.

Pokonic
2012-03-25, 08:41 PM
Still waiting for the Tetris-Movie... :smallannoyed:

"No matter how many you move, they just.Keep.Coming."

CLynne
2012-03-26, 06:55 AM
i am looking forward to this movie "FRIENDS"
maybe it'll never be shot but i really want it to be :)
just like the movie 'sex and the city' came out after the show was over :)

dehro
2012-03-26, 08:57 AM
i am looking forward to this movie "FRIENDS"
maybe it'll never be shot but i really want it to be :)
just like the movie 'sex and the city' came out after the show was over :)

I really don't want that

it ended just at the right time

I don't want to see a movie where:
Joey is an embittered gigolo, the Gellers have split up again and are battling over custody, the Bings have moved away and Monica is a carreer driven madwoman who neglects husband and children, and the Hannigans have pulled a brangelina and adopted Africa.

comicshorse
2012-03-26, 10:54 AM
Avengers
Prometheus
The Cabin in the Woods
The Raid

Karoht
2012-03-26, 12:13 PM
Friends Movie? Really?
Just because Sex in the City did it, doesn't mean everyone else should.
I won't comment to the quality of the SitC film, but I wouldn't expect an entertaining film from most sitcoms