PDA

View Full Version : Dim Sun is what now?

suzaliscious
2012-03-13, 01:47 PM
So we know that one of the PDFs that get sent out to backers is that of 'Dim Sun', an OotS-style parody.

My question: A parody of what, exactly? I saw the picture, I saw the name and I did some Googling but I could not determine what exactly 'Dim Sun' is meant to parody. I fear this will probably come back to bite me in preventing me from enjoying the story completely and missing most of the references, so I ask: Can someone tell me what, exactly, this 'Dim Sun' is supposed to be making fun of?

Porthos
2012-03-13, 01:50 PM
So we know that one of the PDFs that get sent out to backers is that of 'Dim Sun', an OotS-style parody.

My question: A parody of what, exactly? I saw the picture, I saw the name and I did some Googling but I could not determine what exactly 'Dim Sun' is meant to parody. I fear this will probably come back to bite me in preventing me from enjoying the story completely and missing most of the references, so I ask: Can someone tell me what, exactly, this 'Dim Sun' is supposed to be making fun of?

Dark (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/DarkSun?from=Main.DarkSun) Sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun). :smallsmile:

Othesemo
2012-03-13, 01:51 PM
That would be Dark Sun, a 1991 D&D campaign setting. Here, have a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun).

EDIT: Ninja'd. By a ninja.

Bedinsis
2012-03-13, 02:02 PM
Frankly, we don't know, given that mr. Burlew isn't legally allowed (I think?) to outright state what the story will parody.

But given the information we've received, I think it's a rather safe to say that it's Vampire: The Masquarade. I'm obviously kidding. What Porthos said.

martianmister
2012-03-13, 02:14 PM
It's Dragonlance.

http://images.wikia.com/dragonlance/images/a/a5/Drag_Fall_Sta.jpg

Starscream
2012-03-13, 02:23 PM
Dim Sun = Sunset = Twilight. Clearly this will be a story about sparkling liches.:smallwink:

Tsukiko will make a fine Bella.

ThePhantasm
2012-03-13, 02:53 PM
It is Dark Sun. Compare the Dim Sun parody logo to the Dark Sun logo.

jere7my
2012-03-13, 03:24 PM
The Dark Sun logo:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/Dark_sun_logo.png

The Dim Sun logo:

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/gitpkick/DimSun.png

ManuelSacha
2012-03-13, 03:31 PM
@jere7my and ThePhantasm:

I think the other posters here are just joking, when they say it might be something else than a Dark Sun reference. :smallwink:

The Dragonlance one was especially creative... :smallbiggrin:

t209
2012-03-13, 04:15 PM
For those who do not know D&D (let alone Darksun): Think Mad Max, then remove Austrailians, cars, and Mel Gibson. Think Morrowind, then remove trees, swamps, dark elf, not-so-evil tamriel empire, dwarven robots and turn the Tribunal Gods into Sorceror Kings who are allowed to have Iron weapons.

Steward
2012-03-13, 04:19 PM
And if none of those references work for you, the Wikipedia article is actually pretty good on describing what it is from a perspective that's friendly to non-players.

Porthos
2012-03-13, 04:45 PM
And if none of those references work for you, the Wikipedia article is actually pretty good on describing what it is from a perspective that's friendly to non-players.

And the TV Tropes link is good to see what sorts of concepts will be ripe for parody. :smallwink:

Yes, I know Rich doesn't read TV Tropes. That isn't my point. My point is that TV Tropes will describe what sort of ideas are inherent in DS that Rich might find interesting to poke at. :smallsmile:

Fallbot
2012-03-13, 04:48 PM
Think Morrowind, then remove trees, swamps, dark elf, not-so-evil tamriel empire, dwarven robots and turn the Tribunal Gods into Sorceror Kings who are allowed to have Iron weapons.

So...don't think Morrowind then?

Ravian
2012-03-13, 04:55 PM
So...don't think Morrowind then?

I think he means the tribal aspects and slavery.

t209
2012-03-13, 04:59 PM
I think he means the tribal aspects and slavery.

Yep! Dark Elves (Dunmers) took slaves, especially lizardfolks (argonians) and Catfolk (Khajiit), And don't forget about Tyrannic God Kings (Both in Arthas and Morrowind) and Dangerous creatures.
One strange thing is that Whenever I think Dark Sun, I see Morrowind.
Is it a conincidence that these two Dark Elf Avatars are talking about their homeland of Morrowind.

Fallbot
2012-03-13, 05:31 PM
I suppose an argument can be made, though I'm a little jaded by such comparisons.

One strange thing is that Whenever I think Dark Sun, I see Morrowind.

:smallconfused: Something tangential that reminds you of Morrowind? How odd...

Probably! Sorry, wrong kind of Dark Elf.

deworde
2012-03-13, 05:51 PM
If you're worried you won't know Dark Sun, the Penny Arcade guys ran a special campaign based on the setting just before the 4E rules came out.

You can find it here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/podcasts.aspx), it's series 4, and it's completely isolated from any of the other podcasts (different lineup, characters, DM, etc)

I found it really fun, and it got me interested in the characters.

Warning: Strong language and Scott Kurtz. Semi-mature only.

t209
2012-03-13, 06:34 PM
I wonder if this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html) scene will be remade with Iron ores, which is rare.
I wonder if Azure City would be Tyr.

KillianHawkeye
2012-03-14, 07:52 AM
I wonder if this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html) scene will be remade with Iron ores, which is rare.
I wonder if Azure City would be Tyr.

I highly doubt either one of those will be true.

Grey Watcher
2012-03-14, 08:19 AM
Dim Sun = Sunset = Twilight. Clearly this will be a story about sparkling liches.:smallwink:

... I actually kinda wish this were the case. :smalleek:

MReav
2012-03-14, 08:22 AM

So it won't be about purple unicorns?

t209
2012-03-14, 08:55 AM
I highly doubt either one of those will be true.

I heard that Iron can only be wield by sorceror kings and Roy can't (Commoner or Mad Max type survivalist). Athas made both Morrowind (Athas in volcanic land) and Western Continent (OOTS version of Middle East and Athas) look like a noisy daycare centre.
Do you think Hinjo could be sorceror since there are no paladins, let alone lawful good, in Athas?
Thumbs up for Mel Gibson cameo.

aldeayeah
2012-03-14, 09:56 AM
Great. Now I'm yearning for a Tsukiko origin story that's a Twilight spoof. Sigh.

blackspeeker
2012-03-14, 10:09 AM
I was hoping for at least one joke about the similarly named Chinese food by now.

fergo
2012-03-14, 10:19 AM
I was hoping for at least one joke about the similarly named Chinese food by now.

Isn't there one in the picture? :smalltongue:

Starscream
2012-03-14, 10:41 AM
So it won't be about purple unicorns?

That one will be called "My Little PC: Friendship is Vancian"

Ravian
2012-03-14, 12:07 PM
I heard that Iron can only be wield by sorceror kings and Roy can't (Commoner or Mad Max type survivalist). Athas made both Morrowind (Athas in volcanic land) and Western Continent (OOTS version of Middle East and Athas) look like a noisy daycare centre.
Do you think Hinjo could be sorceror since there are no paladins, let alone lawful good, in Athas?
Thumbs up for Mel Gibson cameo.

Iron is very rare but it is possible for some non- Sorceror Kings to get it. Especially in Tyr, that has a small iron mine, the nobles and templars (priests and beraucrats of the SK's) in tyr all commonly have iron daggers. But I doubt a commoner or gladiator like Roy would be able to afford a greatsword with a blade made out of iron.

While Paladins do not exist in Athas (no gods or divine power) the Lawful good alignment can still exist. They are most likely rare and hopelessly idealistic, but a noble who believed that a good society could be forged from a SK's city state, or a templar who is truely devoted to making the city a better place would both be Lawful Good. Fooling themself but Lawful good noneoftheless. Hinjo best translates to an Agis of Aticles kind of character (from the Prism Pentad) who tried to treat his slaves well, wanted to lead the noble senate in presenting a bill against the Sorceror King's stealing of their slaves, and still thought that removing Kalak would make Tyr all better. Seems very Lawful Good.

androkguz
2012-03-14, 12:25 PM
So....
Roy: Still human and a fighter. Probably a gladiator or escaped gladiator.

Haley: Still human and a rogue. Not wearing pants because of the Dim Sun.

Elan: Still human. Looks like he is still a bard, but wouldn´t that make him a criminal for using arcane magic?

Durkon: Dwarves in Dark Sun grow no hair, so there you go. There are also no divine powers, so what is he? Maybe a priest of earth or a templar? Maybe he will be the psionic one on the team.

Vaarsuvius: I thought there were elves in DS. But V is a thri-kreen in this parody. Being an arcanist, he is a criminal. Maybe he is a psion?

Belkar: What was it with DS's halflings again? Cannibals or something right? Hence the fork.

Xykon: Sorcerer king parody?

Redcloak: Are there goblins in DS? Maybe there will be a high templar from a psionic race that has a redcloak and works for Xykon.

Others: Miko would so be an oversealous templar.

Lord Torath
2012-03-14, 01:38 PM
Actually, Muls (human-dwarve crossbreeds) in Dark Sun are hairless. Dwarves can be as hairy as they desire. You know, except for Male Pattern Baldness...

And since Bards in Dark Sun are assassins, I don't believe they're allowed a Good alignment. (I could be mistaken).

Thri-Kreen can't be wizards. At least in the original setting. They make pretty good psionicists, however. (of course, on Athas, any race makes a good psionicist!)

Goblins have been completely exteriminated. Maybe Redcloak can be a Gith.

Tricia
2012-03-14, 02:48 PM
Belkar: What was it with DS's halflings again? Cannibals or something right? Hence the fork.
While I don't know the deal with halflings in that setting, I'm fairly sure Belkar's fork is because he thinks there is some Dim Sum.

Ravian
2012-03-14, 04:07 PM
While Dwarves may be able to grow hair (haven't really checked) they do not because they find the very idea of hair disgusting.

Bard's don't really use magic in Dark Sun, instead being more of a martial fighter rogue mix with all the bardic lore and a deep knowledge on poisons. They usually show up at doors of nobility as a traveling entertainer or one sent as a gift. They are rarely turned away because it is considered a serious breach in etiquette to deny a bard your hospitality.(and typically earns their enmity) Using this free pass, Bards can easily act as spies, thieves and assassins.

Halflings are indeed Cannibals in Dark Sun, but this mostly arose because of a waste-not want-not mentality that comes from living very close to the spirits of the land. They don't prefer sentient creatures to other prey (especially since they're not as common in their isolated homes) but if they come across a party of intruders into their territory they will kill them and bring them back to feed the tribe like any other game. They are xenophobic and take their hunter mentality a little too far, but they're (usually) not malicious.

Thri-Kreen was probably chosen because it fits V as the most akward one (always thinks things too logically, uses incredibly confusing vocabulary) Thri-Kreen have a very different mentality then other creatures. They think of things in terms of the clutch, which is a group of Thri-Kreen, usually siblings, that look out for one another. Thri-Kreen who adventure with other races usually adopt them as their clutch, but their a strict rules in how to follow one's place in the clutch. For example one must always follow the commands of the clutch leader, but if the Clutch is suffering it is a Kreen's duty to challenge the clutch leader for the right to lead. Also the Clutch always comes first, before yourself, other kreen, and everyone else in the world. Also they don't sleep, at all, and they are generally confused by sleep, mainly because they have such as short life span (max age 30 something) that they can't imagine wasting a second of it lying around doing absolutely nothing for as much as 8 hours at a time.
Also Elves in Dark Sun conflict alot more with V's personality, having a basic reputation like gypsies. They're opportunistic, don't like tight rules, and often swindle people with cut rate junk. Also they're 7 feet tall and are some of the best runners on Athas, so they really don't work with V's personality.

I doubt any of them are Arcane casters, since V being a Psion would open up alot more Psion jokes for Rich to work with. Also Dwarves aren't often Templars (except in certain city-states, some let in anyone competent, some have to be publically elected (in a sham election) and some even have to marry the Sorceror King in question) so he's probably an Elemental priest of Earth or Rain or something.

I can't really pin Xykon down with any clear Sorceror King in the lot, he genrally doesn't care about the day to day workings of his city (like Nibenay or Abalech-Re) but he has a definate cruel streak (like Tektuntintlay or Kalak) personally I'd would have put him as Kalak except it would then pretty much lead to the Order upstaging Rikus and the other heroes of Tyr.

SavageWombat
2012-03-14, 04:10 PM
Personally, I can't see Rich passing up the chance to use Belkar for "cannibal halfling"jokes.

t209
2012-03-14, 07:03 PM
Iron is very rare but it is possible for some non- Sorceror Kings to get it. Especially in Tyr, that has a small iron mine, the nobles and templars (priests and beraucrats of the SK's) in tyr all commonly have iron daggers. But I doubt a commoner or gladiator like Roy would be able to afford a greatsword with a blade made out of iron.
Or a ceramic blade with iron edge or something similiar to Aztect warclubs.

androkguz
2012-03-15, 06:24 PM
I can't really pin Xykon down with any clear Sorceror King in the lot, he genrally doesn't care about the day to day workings of his city (like Nibenay or Abalech-Re) but he has a definate cruel streak (like Tektuntintlay or Kalak) personally I'd would have put him as Kalak except it would then pretty much lead to the Order upstaging Rikus and the other heroes of Tyr.

Here is were I think you are missing something. Rich wouldn't make the parody *that* specific. For one, it is more likely that Rich will try to place his own copyrighted creations (Roy, Haley... Xykon) into the world that he is parodying instead of substituting the characters he doesn't own by his own.

Thus, creating a generic Sorceror King instead of substituting one for his is smarter.

For instance, if he was making an Eberron parody, I wouldn't expect dragonmarked characters to belong to any of the 13 houses of the setting. Instead, maybe he would have Roy be a heir of the house of the mark of Sarcasm.

factotum
2012-03-16, 02:50 AM
so he's probably an Elemental priest of Earth or Rain or something.

I'm not familiar with the Dark Sun setting, but wouldn't something relating to lightning be the best fit, what with the whole Thor thing in the "real" Stickworld?

Steward
2012-03-16, 07:17 AM
Here is were I think you are missing something. Rich wouldn't make the parody *that* specific. For one, it is more likely that Rich will try to place his own copyrighted creations (Roy, Haley... Xykon) into the world that he is parodying instead of substituting the characters he doesn't own by his own.

Thus, creating a generic Sorceror King instead of substituting one for his is smarter.

For instance, if he was making an Eberron parody, I wouldn't expect dragonmarked characters to belong to any of the 13 houses of the setting. Instead, maybe he would have Roy be a heir of the house of the mark of Sarcasm.

I think so too. At most, Xykon might spoof traits from multiple different sorcerer kings, but I don't think that a theoretical parody of Dark Sun would need to track specifically with a plot concept from the actual book, any more than OOTS replicates a Forgotten Realms book or whatever except with the characters switched out.

androkguz
2012-03-16, 10:46 AM
I'm not familiar with the Dark Sun setting, but wouldn't something relating to lightning be the best fit, what with the whole Thor thing in the "real" Stickworld?

Elemental priests come in four varieties: Earth, Water, Air and Fire

Paraelemental priests, which are less common, come in four varieties too: Silt, Rain, Sun and Magma. It is supposed to be an spetrum where the paraelements are each between each pair of elements (Earth, Silt, Water, Rain, Air, Sun, Fire, Magma, Earth...)

So the best fix for lightning is Rain. Unless Rich makes up lightning, but that doesn't seem to be any kind of joke.

Ravian
2012-03-16, 12:22 PM
I think so too. At most, Xykon might spoof traits from multiple different sorcerer kings, but I don't think that a theoretical parody of Dark Sun would need to track specifically with a plot concept from the actual book, any more than OOTS replicates a Forgotten Realms book or whatever except with the characters switched out.

That seems for the best, though it would be funny to see Xykon as Nibenay with Tsukiko and Miko as Shadow Brides. :smalltongue:

We also have the question of Redcloak, on one hand he seems like a definate high templar, loyal through fear but scheming against him, like Tithian was to Kalak. But then there's the problem of race. Goblins don't exist and generally Templars are human, half-elves, or the other more accepted races. I've seen Gith suggested but I'm not sure given how most of the creatures of the wastes are enslaved.

Also who wants to place their bets of seeing Thog as a Half-Giant?

Vemynal
2012-03-16, 12:27 PM
http://www.targetwoman.com/image/dimsum.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist

St Fan
2012-03-16, 12:58 PM
Am I the only one to think that Haley is way overdressed for a Dark Sun parody? :smallbiggrin:

ti'esar
2012-03-16, 03:20 PM
As far as speculating on secondary characters and villains goes, we don't know which of them - if any - will be showing up here. Dim Sun is kind of a new thing for OOTS, so predictions about it are questionable at best.

t209
2012-03-17, 01:50 AM
As far as speculating on secondary characters and villains goes, we don't know which of them - if any - will be showing up here. Dim Sun is kind of a new thing for OOTS, so predictions about it are questionable at best.

I wonder what will Order be in Eberron verse (even though he and eberron are sworn rivals).

androkguz
2012-03-17, 10:02 AM
I wonder what will Order be in Eberron verse (even though he and eberron are sworn rivals).

Nah, Rich and Keith Baker are friends (I think)

In that parody, this would be my guesses:
-Belkar as a Talenta Plains, dinosaur riding halfling
-Durkon as a priest of all the sovereing host
-Miko as an overzealous Silver Flame paladin
-The Snarl as a Rakshasa Rahaj
-Redcloak as the Lhesh Haruuk
-Roy as a warforged?
-Haley as a changeling? And/or a master inquisitive
-Elan as a dragonmarked heir.

t209
2012-03-21, 02:27 PM
Let's try
Greyhawk, Oriental Adventure (even though Azure City is one) and Forgotten Realms (Neverwinter Nights).

Kish
2012-03-22, 05:48 AM
I see no real reason for them to change much in those settings. Beyond Durkon being a cleric of a Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms dwarven god (Berronar Truesilver, perhaps), instead of of Thor.

ti'esar
2012-03-22, 02:35 PM
For that matter, I don't think they'd even need to change all that much in Eberron (though there might be not-strictly-necessary changes for the sake of covering more of the setting).

t209
2012-04-01, 06:26 PM
One question (especially with the one with drow avatar).
- What's difference between Drows in Athas and Drow in Morrowind, other than living in daylight?

ti'esar
2012-04-01, 06:45 PM
One question (especially with the one with drow avatar).
- What's difference between Drows in Athas and Drow in Morrowind, other than living in daylight?

There are no drow in Athas, at least as far as I know.

t209
2012-04-01, 06:58 PM
There are no drow in Athas, at least as far as I know.

Here's one on Drow in Athas.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26217873/Drow_in_Athas?pg=3

Kish
2012-04-01, 07:02 PM
That's a homebrew, someone's "add drow to Athas" proposal. Given that that person's name is not Rich Burlew...

t209
2012-04-01, 07:18 PM
Okay! There's no more for Dim Sun Speculation.
I hope Roy isn't a gladiator version of mad max (Married to Celia but got killed) or Conan the barbarian (Father is actually a barbarian, got killed, sold to slavery and trained as a gladiator).
Do you think Roy can have stone sword with iron edges, like aztec war clubs?

martianmister
2012-04-02, 04:42 AM
I hope Roy isn't a gladiator version of mad max (Married to Celia but got killed) or Conan the barbarian (Father is actually a barbarian, got killed, sold to slavery and trained as a gladiator).

Considering that's a short parody, why does that matter?

t209
2012-04-02, 11:23 PM
I wonder what would Tarquin and Malack be?

martianmister
2012-04-03, 02:17 AM
I still think it's a Dragonlance parody...:smallamused:

I wonder what would Tarquin and Malack be?

I wonder what their friendship would be.

Gift Jeraff
2012-04-03, 10:26 AM
Friendship is Malack.