PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Flesh to Ice/Stone

hymer
2012-03-13, 02:27 PM
What am I missing?
Fewer people are immune to icification (I've never heard of one) than petrification. Petrification has more possibilities for reversal. All in all, Flesh to Ice seems just a tad stronger. Why, then, is it a level lower?

For reference purposes: Flesh to Ice is in Frostburn on page 94.

Memphos
2012-03-13, 02:31 PM
What am I missing?
Fewer people are immune to icification (I've never heard of one) than petrification. Petrification has more possibilities for reversal. All in all, Flesh to Ice seems just a tad stronger. Why, then, is it a level lower?

For reference purposes: Flesh to Ice is in Frostburn on page 94.

Well, probably because Wizard does not take a look on what they did BEFORE Frostburn

GreenSerpent
2012-03-13, 02:32 PM
Look up Flesh to Salt (Sandstorm).

1 pound of salt is worth 5gp. Cast it on a dragon or other massive creature.

The DM will ensure that huge chunks of rock salt fall, everyone dies if you use this trick.

hymer
2012-03-13, 02:53 PM
So it's merely a case of power creep? How do other GMs deal with this? Just go as is, or move one of the spells to the other's level?

Ernir
2012-03-13, 03:58 PM
Flesh to Stone being less likely to completely destroy the victim might actually be a good thing in some cases.

But yes, these should probably be the same level.

I've never felt the need to "deal with it". One spell can be just better than another. There are very many instances of this in 3.5.

hymer
2012-03-13, 04:06 PM
Dealing with it by not dealing with it is my preferred method too. :)
It's just that these two spells are almost identical, it just seemed odd to me. Well, I don't suppose that level 5 is too low level for save or die. I guess I'll just leave it be.

Particle_Man
2012-03-13, 04:10 PM
I remember a 1st ed game where something like that happened to our party for a while, but we became living ice creatures - we could still function, but couldn't leave a very cold area or we would melt! :smalltongue: