PDA

View Full Version : So what does leveling up do?

Spacewolf
2012-03-13, 03:25 PM
So say i was going from level 4-5 with this character http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=379576 what would change? i think i would get 6 more skill points and some extra spells known and spells per day, after that im not sure though

Urpriest
2012-03-13, 03:31 PM
There's a list of steps to take early in the phb. IIRC the first step is to pick a class, have you done that yet?

Siosilvar
2012-03-13, 03:36 PM
1. Pick a class. I'm assuming another level of Sorcerer.
2. BAB. No increase for the 5th level of Sorcerer.
3. Saves. No increases at the 5th level of Sorcerer.
4. Ability score. No increase at 5th character level.
5. Hit points. Sor 5 will give you 1d4+3 (Con) more HP.
6. Skill points. Between Sorcerer levels, Human, and 18 Int, you'll get 7 skill points.
7. Feats. None at 5th character level.
8. Spells. You'll get a 2nd level spell per day and a 1st and 2nd level spell known.
9. Class Features. Sorcerers don't have any at 5th.

HunterOfJello
2012-03-13, 03:39 PM
Step 0: Make sure that your current character information on the sheet is accurate. (Note: Your base saves are off. They should be Fort 1/Ref 1/Will 4)

Step 1: Choose a Class / PrC to level up into.

gorfnab
2012-03-13, 03:43 PM
+7 skills points (2 from class, 4 from Int, 1 from human)
+1 2nd level spell per day
+1 1st level spell known
+1 2nd level spell known
+1d4+3 hit points
You familiar (if you have one) also gains some abilities.

Side note: The base saves on your sheet are out of whack. At 4th level they should read in the base column +1 Fort, +1 Reflex, +1 Will.

Spacewolf
2012-03-13, 03:48 PM
Being human gives you an extra skill point per level?
Also about familiars it says the weasels bite attack does 1d3-4 damage so if it hits it always does 1 damage since thats the minimum damage dealt right?

Also is the familiar section of the mythweavers sheet supposed to be in the feats section.

edit fixed base saves how do you work out that there supposed to be all +1 though as i carnt see any information in that in the sorcerer section.

Big Fau
2012-03-13, 03:52 PM
1. Pick a class. I'm assuming another level of Sorcerer.
2. BAB. No increase for the 5th level of Sorcerer.
3. Saves. No increases at the 5th level of Sorcerer.
4. Ability score. No increase at 5th character level.
5. Hit points. Sor 5 will give you 1d4+3 (Con) more HP.
6. Skill points. Between Sorcerer levels, Human, and 18 Int, you'll get 7 skill points.
7. Feats. None at 5th character level.
8. Spells. You'll get a 2nd level spell per day and a 1st and 2nd level spell known.
9. Class Features. Sorcerers don't have any at 5th.

Dead levels suck so hard.

Spacewolf
2012-03-13, 03:55 PM
Ah i see the BAB and save information in the Table now so ill adjust that now

georgie_leech
2012-03-13, 03:59 PM

To be fair, most arcane casters don't really have "dead" levels in the sense that they get new abilities in the form of spells. Getting the ability to turn invisible (Invisibility) or summon up a minion/meatshield (Summon Monster II) or completely incapacitate someone (Hideous Laughter, Ghoul Touch, etc.) or...

Siosilvar
2012-03-13, 03:59 PM

One second-level spell per day is fairly useful, though Sor 5 is among the list of great offenders as far as dead levels go. After all the martial classes' ones, of course.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-13, 04:00 PM
Being human gives you an extra skill point per level?
Also about familiars it says the weasels bite attack does 1d3-4 damage so if it hits it always does 1 damage since thats the minimum damage dealt right?

Also is the familiar section of the mythweavers sheet supposed to be in the feats section.

Yes.

Yes.

MW sheet doesn't have a familiar section. I'd write whatever details you think are important under "Additional notes".

Spacewolf
2012-03-13, 04:05 PM
Cool thanks for all the help one last question i think how often do you get feats? i remember reading its at certain levels but i cannot remember which

Calanon
2012-03-13, 04:09 PM
Cool thanks for all the help one last question i think how often do you get feats? i remember reading its at certain levels but i cannot remember which

At first level you gain one free feat, then at 3rd level you gain another and then another every 3 levels after that.

at 4th level you can apply one ability score point to any one ability score you'd like (I recommend Charisma since its your casting stat)

georgie_leech
2012-03-13, 04:12 PM

1, 3, and every 3 thereafter (6,9,12,etc). Certain classes get bonus feats at specific class levels,, but those are listed in that class' class features section.

Spacewolf
2012-03-13, 04:14 PM
Well where starting at level 4 and those are the scores i got so i think the +1 is sort of included and is that the same for all classes or do different classes get ability scores at different levels

Urpriest
2012-03-13, 04:18 PM
Well where starting at level 4 and those are the scores i got so i think the +1 is sort of included and is that the same for all classes or do different classes get ability scores at different levels

It's the same for all classes. Honestly this is all stuff that whoever is teaching you the game should be helping you with. Are they unavailable for some reason?

georgie_leech
2012-03-13, 04:37 PM
It's the same for all classes. Honestly this is all stuff that whoever is teaching you the game should be helping you with. Are they unavailable for some reason?

Perhaps embarassment. I know when I'm trying new things, especially the first time I tried "live" D&D, I tend to hesitate about asking what seems like the basic stuff for fear of coming accross as stupid. Then I slap myself, remind myself that not asking actually makes me an idiot, rather than looking like one, and ask anyway.

Spacewolf
2012-03-13, 05:10 PM
Well i dont know anyone live who plays and im about to start a chat based game so i wanted to make sure everything was legal before i started

Lord Loss
2012-03-13, 05:14 PM
Pretty much all of the D&D 3.5 rules are available here (http://www.d20srd.org/). It's not everything but it's enough to get you started.

Spacewolf
2012-03-13, 05:17 PM
Yea im using the SRD currently but some of the stuff is quite hard to find in it like the ability score bonus points that you get every so often which i still cannot see

Slipperychicken
2012-03-13, 05:49 PM
Yea im using the SRD currently but some of the stuff is quite hard to find in it like the ability score bonus points that you get every so often which i still cannot see

WotC actually doesn't allow them to show that information 'cuz they're meanies.

+1 to any one ability score every 4 levels.

You should have 3 feats and +1 to one ability score by now. Every level, you get (Int+3) skill points, except at first, where you get four times that number. By now you should have 7*(Int+3) skill points, which is 49 skill points total. The progression looks like this.

1st- 2 feats (one + human bonus)
2nd
3rd- feat
4th- +1 abiltiy score
6th- feat
7th
8th- +1 ability score
9th- feat
10th
11th
12th- feat and +1 ability score
and so on

Particle_Man
2012-03-13, 08:45 PM
Well where starting at level 4 and those are the scores i got so i think the +1

Might as well check with the DM though.

I think you have too many skills there (maybe you forgot to notice that some of your skills (like spot, survival) are cross-class?)

Btw, if you want to save points, try for Bluff instead of Diplomacy.