PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Visions

Axolotl
2012-03-13, 04:27 PM
I picked up a copy of Dangerous Visions recently, Iwas just looking for something by Harlan Ellison and it was the only thing I could find in print. I was dissapointed to find out it was a short story collection and he'd only written one but it had several other authors I'd heard of so T thought why not try it?

I'm just over halfway through at the moment and I have to say, it's amazing, far better than I'd imagined. Every story is good, more than good some are just genius, some of the best science fiction I've ever read. One of the things that most surprised me was that while the really famous writers in there like Brian Aldiss, Philip K. **** and Larry Niven all wrote great stuff for the book, there's isn't the best in there, in fact my two favorite's so far have been by author's I'd never even heard of before.

I wanted to ask if anyone else here had read it and if the follow-up was worth reading.

H Birchgrove
2012-03-14, 03:54 PM
I haven't, but I want to. Getting the Philip José Farmer story would nearly be worth it alone. :smallsmile:

Axolotl
2012-03-14, 04:35 PM
I haven't, but I want to. Getting the Philip José Farmer story would nearly be worth it alone. :smallsmile:Farmer's story is one of the best in the book (in fact in his introduction Ellison says it's the best) and considering there are multiple Hugo and Nebula winners in it should say something. But the other ones are all great as well, but there's a great variety between them, some a dark visions of the future, some are just small melancholic tales, some are funny, some are weird and some are all of the above.

Is really is a great collection, the copy I have was printed in 2012 so it should be fairly easu to get hold of.