PDA

View Full Version : Mileage of the Holy Warrior Cleric

Amurion
2012-03-13, 05:45 PM
Hey all,

So, it is time to create a back-up character and I'm afraid that our group is going to be short both a healer and a tank.
So, I am looking at the Holy Warrior cleric variant from the pathfinder chronicles campaign setting. We are currently a mostly fifth level group using the pathfinder RPG. I'm just curious how effective this build is and would like to hear some stories of people who have actually used it in play.

eggs
2012-03-13, 06:58 PM
The Holy Warrior has a higher expected melee damage than the base Cleric, but with domains like Destruction (Rage) and Travel, a non-Holy Warrior Cleric can sit in the same damage ballpark and bring a bunch of additional abilities to the field to cover for the limitations of melee, and to cover additional noncombat abilities.

Even though levels 6-7 are going to be the Holy Warrior's brightest moments (when it gets its second attack and before the level 8 domain abilities, 3/4 BA iterative attacks and quickened buffs come online), I'd probably skip it. It loses too much for a relatively minor damage boost.

The one exception would be if A) All I wanted to do was melee and B) I was certain that the campaign would never hit ECL 9.