PDA

View Full Version : Drawmij's Instant Summons

Debbie_D
2012-03-13, 05:58 PM
A wizard has a staff with Drawmij Instant Summons on it. In the course of a fight, someone disarms him. If he uses DIS, would it work, seeing as the staff is right there...or does the wording of "in the possession of another creature" overrule that? (Even though she really doesnt possess it, shes only holding it for now). If it does overrule using that spell, does anyone know another spell that would work to take care of this. And I'd rather not rely on something that has a save to it, because I dont want to having them fail a save (high level=very easy to make saves).

Shadowleaf
2012-03-13, 05:58 PM
I'm fairly certain if you hold something you possess it.

maysarahs
2012-03-13, 07:00 PM
As per the SRD:

As a melee attack, you may attempt to disarm your opponent. If you do so with a weapon, you knock the opponent’s weapon out of his hands and to the ground. If you attempt the disarm while unarmed, you end up with the weapon in your hand.

My take: If your foe was unarmed, then you cannot summon it, if he was armed then by all means instant summons works. I think it lands in your square, or maybe an adjacent (your foes?) square. My caveat would be that you just traded 1000 gp for a move action that provokes. A steep (in my opinion) cost.

Debbie_D
2012-03-13, 07:31 PM
As per the SRD:

My take: If your foe was unarmed, then you cannot summon it, if he was armed then by all means instant summons works. I think it lands in your square, or maybe an adjacent (your foes?) square. My caveat would be that you just traded 1000 gp for a move action that provokes. A steep (in my opinion) cost.

She was definitely unarmed when she made the attack so she does have the staff in hand. I have to get it out of her hand and was hoping DIS would yank it from her.

Flickerdart
2012-03-13, 07:37 PM
She was definitely unarmed when she made the attack so she does have the staff in hand. I have to get it out of her hand and was hoping DIS would yank it from her.
Nope. It's in her possession.

Debbie_D
2012-03-13, 08:02 PM
Then how do I get it away from her? Without invoking a wish or DM over-ruling the rules book.

Ernir
2012-03-13, 08:10 PM
DIS is possibly the worst spell in the PHB (at least for its level). Pay through the nose for a spell that doesn't work for anything but retrieving your lost car keys.

Has this actually happened in-game, and you are trying to get your staff back? Because if not, I suggest spending more effort on not being robbed in the first place than on getting the thing back if it's stolen.

Debbie_D
2012-03-13, 08:14 PM
Its already happened, so ideas on preventing the theft is akin to locking the barn door after the horse has bolted.

maysarahs
2012-03-13, 08:19 PM
A counter disarm check (though being a wizard, this might be a bad idea). Alternatively anything that panics or stuns your foe will lead to them dropping everything they hold in their hands. Being a relatively high level wizard, I assume some options can present themselves (color spray stuns IIRC). [tongue-in-cheek] Killing your adversary generally opens up the possibility of looting [/tongue-in-cheek]

EDIT: This all assumes you are mid-combat. However if they have stolen your staff and left, unfortunately retrieving your staff falls under the purview of your DM giving you opportunities to do so. Scry-and-Die, with some preparation, maybe, or a side quest/quest involving revenge? Again, the opportunity to get your staff back given that the NPC has retreated behind the DM screen revolves around your DM's willingness to bring them back out again.

Flickerdart
2012-03-13, 08:37 PM
Telekinesis can be used to make disarm attempts.

maysarahs
2012-03-13, 08:42 PM
Stun ray (SpC) is a Sor/Wiz7 spell that stuns for 1 round on a sucessful save, more on a failed one. I'm having trouble finding things that offer no save at all and stun.

ericgrau
2012-03-13, 09:19 PM
It's not for retrieving stolen goods. It's for getting things you leave behind for whatever reason. Swallow the sapphire(s) and re-equip in the middle of prison.

I had a fighter w/ a wizard dip and a staff with DIS on it. He used quick draw and TWF to chain pop spell storing weapons for an obscene amount of damage once per day. An obscene amount of saves vs. disabling spell is also possible, if you prefer that. But what if we're in a hurry and I leave half a dozen 8,300 gp daggers behind? That's where DIS comes in. After we flee, before they have time to loot (and/or while they're in pursuit and/or load bearing boss (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoadBearingBoss) and/or etc.).