PDA

View Full Version : "Cantip"

Ozfer
2012-03-13, 07:21 PM
Can anyone tell me what cantip means? I've seen it a couple times, and I just have to know :smalltongue:. Example" "I use my last cantip for the day"

hivedragon
2012-03-13, 07:27 PM
a cantrip is a level-0 arcane spell
an orison is a level-0 divine spell

Rubik
2012-03-13, 07:31 PM
A cantip is a coffee can a pan-handler puts out for monetary benefits.

Thurbane
2012-03-13, 07:38 PM
It is a plant whose scientific name is nepeta cataria - it is most notable for the peculiar effect it has on the behaviour of some cats. :smalltongue:

FMArthur
2012-03-13, 07:40 PM
Why did 0-level spells even get special names in the first place? :smallconfused:

Jeraa
2012-03-13, 07:45 PM
Originally, D&D only had 9 spell levels. In 1st edition, when they were introduced, they were called cantrips, instead of 0-level spells. Really, since they are the first spells that a wizard learns, they should be 1st level spells. But that would of involved changing the levels of every spell, it was just simpler to call them cantrips.

Edit: Well it seems that they were called both cantrips and 0-level spells even then, as well.

Though the game considers all of them spells, maybe its more of a fluff difference. Cantrips are minor magics, and aren't powerful enough to be called full-fledged spells.

Ozfer
2012-03-13, 09:39 PM
Thanks :smallsmile:. Your answer makes decidedly more sense than the others :smallconfused:.

Otomodachi
2012-03-13, 09:39 PM
In 2nd ed. AD&D when I started, cantrip was a first level spell that let you do pretty much everything prestidigitation does.

Etymology is unknown on some sites and suggested as scottish on others.

Alefiend
2012-03-13, 10:18 PM
The word cantrip was not invented for D&D. It's a Scottish word that's been around since the 1700s, with the occasional alternate spelling (such as Jack Vance's cantrap).

Kallisti
2012-03-13, 10:26 PM
Thanks :smallsmile:. Your answer makes decidedly more sense than the others :smallconfused:.

The seemingly nonsensical answers are presumably poking some good-natured fun at your spelling cantrip as cantip in the thread title.

In the context of D&D, cantrips are 0th-level arcane spells; they operate a little differently under the rules than most spells, most notably in that you never receive bonus 0th-level spells per day for a high casting stat.

Outside of D&D, whenever I've run across it it tends to refer to a minor spell or small magic 'trick'; I don't really know the derivation of the word, though; it looks like 'Scottish' is about as specific as we've got.

(Also, in Magic: The Gathering Cantrip was a cheap spell that let you draw a card, so a lot of Magic players refer to a draw-one-card effect as cantrip.)

Vizzerdrix
2012-03-14, 01:36 AM
In the context of D&D, cantrips are 0th-level arcane spells; they operate a little differently under the rules than most spells, most notably in that you never receive bonus 0th-level spells per day for a high casting stat.

This always bothered me :smallmad:

Dr_S
2012-03-14, 04:33 AM

One thing I prefer about pathfinder... FREE CANTRIPS FOR EVERYBODY!

Psyren
2012-03-14, 08:02 AM
One thing I prefer about pathfinder... FREE CANTRIPS FOR EVERYBODY!

And orisons, and talents, and knacks...

Kaeso
2012-03-14, 10:23 AM
The word cantrip was not invented for D&D. It's a Scottish word that's been around since the 1700s, with the occasional alternate spelling (such as Jack Vance's cantrap).

What does Cantrip mean in ye olde scottish? I know that orison is a kind of small prayer (within the Catholic community if I'm not mistaken), but I have no idea what cantrip means in the real world.

TuggyNE
2012-03-14, 10:37 AM
What does Cantrip mean in ye olde scottish? I know that orison is a kind of small prayer (within the Catholic community if I'm not mistaken), but I have no idea what cantrip means in the real world.

A quick search found this (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cantrip):
1. Scots A magic spell; a witch's trick.
2. Chiefly British A deceptive move; a sham.

SirDalyus
2012-03-14, 01:24 PM
A cantrips is Auld Scots for a magical trick or prank. Fairy magic and the like. Orison is a small prayer, with a lot of assosiations with certain knight orders.

Dr_S
2012-03-14, 05:41 PM
And orisons, and talents, and knacks...

right, but this is a thread about cantrips, and why they might have a special name... but yes the stuff you said too.

ShriekingDrake
2012-03-14, 10:11 PM
Whatever it means, "cantip" is decidedly different than "catnip", though my cat seems to relish both.