PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple on pizza: what's wrong with it?

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-13, 07:50 PM
I love pineapple, and I love how on a pizza it gets slightly toasted and gooey. Particularly with ham or on a barbecue chicken pizza.

But I've seen in media that having it on there is nothing short of an abomination. Why? You see it everywhere, it's a standard pizza next to supreme or meat lovers.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-03-13, 07:53 PM
Some people just don't like fruit with meat. Pineapple on ham is amazing though. My dad, who usually doesn't like fruit and meat, makes exceptions for pineapple on ham.

ORione
2012-03-13, 08:07 PM
I didn't know pineapple on pizza was demonized.

Personally, I don't like pineapple except on pizza.

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-13, 08:08 PM
I was watching Futurama the other day.

tyckspoon
2012-03-13, 08:11 PM
People have inexplicably strong opinions about 'correct' pizza. See also: New York vs. Chicago style, 'authentic Italian' vs. every other way of making a pizza, and probably three or four others.

Maryring
2012-03-13, 08:12 PM
For me, baking the pineapple in the oven utterly destroys it. It's like this odd combination of being lukewarm and having the texture of rubber sort off. Not to mention that it tastes much to sweet to go well with the cheese and sauce.

SilentNight
2012-03-13, 08:13 PM
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. :smallbiggrin:

Orzel
2012-03-13, 08:15 PM
Nothing is wrong with it. Quite good is pineapple.

New York style!

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-13, 08:16 PM
Pineapple on burgers is awesome too, IF you sear the pineapple to stop it being so juicy.

Coidzor
2012-03-13, 08:17 PM
^: Either or, really. If you don't sear it, the addition of fried egg and fried potato in some form cements the acceptance that the bun, while it will put up a valiant effort, is ultimately doomed.

For me, baking the pineapple in the oven utterly destroys it. It's like this odd combination of being lukewarm and having the texture of rubber sort off. Not to mention that it tastes much to sweet to go well with the cheese and sauce.

If the pineapple is that cold, I'd be worried about whether the meat was safe to eat. :smalleek:

Starwulf
2012-03-13, 08:46 PM
I love pineapple, and I love how on a pizza it gets slightly toasted and gooey. Particularly with ham or on a barbecue chicken pizza.

But I've seen in media that having it on there is nothing short of an abomination. Why? You see it everywhere, it's a standard pizza next to supreme or meat lovers.

My mom and my best friend both love pineapple on pizza, but I can't stand it. Fruit on pizza...bleck. Just don't like the taste profile at all. Give me pepperoni, sausage, red and green peppers. That I can be happy with!

An Enemy Spy
2012-03-13, 08:52 PM
Pineapple is the best possible topping to a pizza. Anyone who says otherwise is an alien spy. Everyone knows that pineapple is the fatal weakness of aliens and they're trying to rid the world of it for their imminent invasion. So if you care about the future of Earth, then eat pineapple pizza.

memnarch
2012-03-13, 09:30 PM
I like it; it's one of the only ways I can actually eat pineapple. I'm allergic to an enzyme in pineapple (kiwi does the same) which gets broken down when it's canned or baked.

Viera Champion
2012-03-13, 10:02 PM

HAWAI'IAN PIZZA IS THE GREATEST INVENTION OF ALL TIME!

Coidzor
2012-03-13, 10:07 PM
Just leave the almonds off. I could do without grated coconut as well.

smellie_hippie
2012-03-13, 10:08 PM
HAWAI'IAN PIZZA IS THE GREATEST INVENTION OF ALL TIME!

...and beer. Don't forget beer.
.......... and coffee.

Coidzor
2012-03-13, 10:10 PM
.......... and coffee.

...Coffee Beer just occurred in my brain. Ow. :smallfrown:

Reverent-One
2012-03-13, 10:12 PM
There are two key problems with it. First is that it's pineapple. The second is that it's on otherwise delicious pizza. Combined, these two issues become a near-insurmountable obstacle to enjoying pizza. Obviously. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-13, 10:13 PM
It's not my favourite kind of pizza, but I like it well enough. It's especially nice cold, the salty, sweetness is a tasty combination in my opinion and is great for the morning after.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-03-13, 10:25 PM
...Coffee Beer just occurred in my brain. Ow. :smallfrown:

I've had it. It's pretty delicious.

Tirian
2012-03-13, 10:34 PM
But I've seen in media that having it on there is nothing short of an abomination. Why?

Because it is an abomination, that is why.

Hope that helps. Knowing is half the battle!

Haruki-kun
2012-03-13, 10:45 PM
.......... and coffee.

Which makes me wonder: would you eat pizza with coffee? :smallconfused:

Anyway, on the subject of the pineapple on the pizza: Nothing wrong at all. I LOVE Pineapple on pizza.

There's also the added bonus: Pinneapple on Tacos. There is a specific type of Taco that cooks the meat with a pineapple dripping the juice into it while it's being cooked on a fire, and then people like to put chopped pineapple into it. It's delicious.

veven
2012-03-13, 11:13 PM
Pineapples and Jalapeños is pretty much my favorite pizza!

I live near this hipster pizza joint that has a pizza called the Waldorf. It's got feta cheese, walnuts, and apple slices. It is probably my second favorite pizza (sue me!)

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 01:41 AM
I most often make my own pizza.
It's a home made sauce (tomato paste, fresh garlic, chilli powder and Italian seasoning with water and oil for consistency) green bell peppers, mushrooms, deli ham, black olives, sliced onion and cheddar cheese, lots of cheddar cheese on a toasted whole pita bread. Put under the broiler for a few minutes and you have a meal.
Topped with generous droozles of western sriracha sauce is good.
Seriously, I use that stuff like ketchup.

Feytalist
2012-03-14, 02:55 AM
I've been indoctrinated by my Italian girlfriend to only eat real Italian pizza. Thin, crunchy base, no excessive meat, olives, peppers, mozzarella, and salami if you must. I also like feta, but that's just me.

Sometimes sweet and meat go together. Pineapple on pizza is not one of those times. And neither is banana.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 03:48 AM
Banana, I agree with, but Pineapple can be awesome. I was recently introduced to something amazing, bacon cooked with pineapple. Dear god, that is, I don't know how to describe it. Salty, smoky, sweet and tangy, it was so many flavours, and yet it worked so well.

Rawhide
2012-03-14, 03:56 AM
Pineapple on pizza: what's wrong with it?
Absolutely nothing at all. I love pineapple on pizza. And pineapple goes in sweet and sour pork (as well as chicken and other sweet and sour dishes). Pineapple also goes in burgers.

Banana, I agree with, but Pineapple can be awesome. I was recently introduced to something amazing, bacon cooked with pineapple. Dear god, that is, I don't know how to describe it. Salty, smoky, sweet and tangy, it was so many flavours, and yet it worked so well.

The choc-banana pizza with caramelised pecans and marshmallows I had from Max Brenner (Chocolate by the Bald Man) would disagree with you.

Elemental
2012-03-14, 04:01 AM
Well, you still wouldn't put banana on a savoury pizza.
A sweet pizza, maybe.

Anyway, here in Queensland, one the most popular styles of pizza has pineapple.
In fact, it's often referred to as Ham and Pineapple.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 04:16 AM
Absolutely nothing at all. I love pineapple on pizza. And pineapple goes in sweet and sour pork (as well as chicken and other sweet and sour dishes). Pineapple also goes in burgers.

I like a smear of raspberry jam on mine. I also like natural peanut butter on chicken burgers. In fact, natural peanut butter is also good with hamburgers. It's much more versatile than peanut flavoured shortening even if you do have to stir it.

The choc-banana pizza with caramelised pecans and marshmallows I had from Max Brenner (Chocolate by the Bald Man) would disagree with you.
When I say pizza without any descriptive adjectives I mean a savoury pizza, and so my point stands.

Rawhide
2012-03-14, 04:51 AM
I like a smear of raspberry jam on mine. I also like natural peanut butter on chicken burgers. In fact, natural peanut butter is also good with hamburgers. It's much more versatile than peanut flavoured shortening even if you do have to stir it.

Raspberry jam on a pizza? Ok, now you're just being strange. Peanut butter is also somewhat strange, but: Satay.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-14, 05:21 AM
Personally I like it. I think it has to do with the fact you're mixing foods that logically shouldn't be mixed.

The Succubus
2012-03-14, 05:24 AM
Hmmm....I've never felt comfortable with the idea of a "sweetzza". Pizzas are definitely savory beasts in my experience.

The idea of pineapple bacon though.....there's a demented logic in this that greatly appeals to me. I must try it.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-14, 05:32 AM
Yeah, what's wrong about being delicious?
Hmm. Now I want to make some of my world-famous orange sandwiches...

Elemental
2012-03-14, 05:35 AM
Hmmm... Never heard of them... But then again, I haven't even heard of Adele until two seconds ago.
Let's just say my rock is very comfortable.

@\/ It was in response the post above mine. And I thought that's what she did...

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-14, 05:44 AM
It seems that either you love pineapple on pizza, or you can't stand it. I, for one, think it is the best thing since sliced bread. Of course, this is coming from someone who's favorite sandwich has peanut butter, onion and mustard, so feel free to doubt my taste and sanity when it comes to food combinations.

@^ Did you post in the wrong thread, or something? Because we're talking about pizza, not music...:smallconfused:

Killer Angel
2012-03-14, 05:50 AM
Which makes me wonder: would you eat pizza with coffee? :smallconfused:

I have seen peoples drinkin cappuccino while eating sea salad.
The horror....

The Glyphstone
2012-03-14, 05:56 AM
Pineapple Pizza is a Thing That Should Not Be. Individually, Pinapple and Pizza are delicious. Together, they cause non-Euclidean bending of the flavor-taste continuum in horrific ways.

Jan Mattys
2012-03-14, 05:57 AM
Point is:

1- Your pizza isn't pizza.

2- Pineapple on the pizza sucks.

And there it goes my plan of being being reasonable and understanding of other cultures.
:smallbiggrin:

Elemental
2012-03-14, 06:03 AM
Pineapple Pizza is a Thing That Should Not Be. Individually, Pinapple and Pizza are delicious. Together, they cause non-Euclidean bending of the flavor-taste continuum in horrific ways.

Really? I've had pineapple on pizzas for as long as I can remember, and my mind is completely intact.
Must be an acquired taste then...

Haruspex_Pariah
2012-03-14, 06:07 AM
I don't mind it. The pineapple gets in the way, but it's still food so I just eat through it. Better than wasting.

This comes up because my brother likes Hawaiian pizza, and we normally share slices.

DarkLightDragon
2012-03-14, 06:10 AM
Although I generally prefer the non-cooked variety. I just love pineapple on a pizza.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 06:17 AM
Raspberry jam on a pizza? Ok, now you're just being strange. Peanut butter is also somewhat strange, but: Satay.
No, no, though that might work too, I meant on a hamburger.

Elemental
2012-03-14, 06:18 AM
No, no, though that might work too, I meant on a hamburger.

That's just as bad!
*shudders*

@\/ That's how I know I'm not crazy, because I'm already crazy and fully aware of it!

The Glyphstone
2012-03-14, 06:18 AM
Really? I've had pineapple on pizzas for as long as I can remember, and my mind is completely intact.
Must be an acquired taste then...

They do say a crazy person never realizes they're insane...

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 06:23 AM
That's just as bad!
*shudders*

Perhaps, I find the almost meaty sweetness of raspberry jam complements well the richness of beef. I'm not talking about gobs here, less than a teaspoon actually. In fact, it's more of a glaze, a mere smear.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-14, 06:44 AM
They do say a crazy person never realizes they're insane...

That's true. Seen it during my visit to the asylum.
Now I remember the pizza I like to call Harvey Dent - pineapple slices on one half and olives on another. M-m.

Grogmir
2012-03-14, 06:48 AM
Pineapple on pizza: what's wrong with it?

Whats wrong with it? WHATS WRONG WITH IT? :smallfurious:

It's evil. Pure n simple Evil.

Fruit is gods little snacking gift, but has no place mixing with 'normal' food.

Elemental
2012-03-14, 06:50 AM

But fruit is a proper food!
You try and flavour ice cream without something that is technically a fruit, or obtained from a fruit, according to science.

Bastian Weaver
2012-03-14, 06:52 AM
You try and flavour ice cream without something that is technically a fruit, or obtained from a fruit, according to science.

Spongebob tried it. His degree of success is... debatable.

Jan Mattys
2012-03-14, 06:56 AM

Food:
http://www.ilex-press.com/wp-content/uploads/pig-thumb.jpg

Snack:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WygyUylwcHI/Ta4sfwhESVI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/9_es8YrT65w/s1600/13038pineapple_juice.jpg

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 07:01 AM
All our powers combined we are. . .Captain Fnack*!
*Or Snood.

Dandria
2012-03-14, 07:06 AM
I've been indoctrinated by my Italian girlfriend to only eat real Italian pizza. Thin, crunchy base, no excessive meat, olives, peppers, mozzarella, and salami if you must.

Real Italian Pizza? Oh, that's so sweet. Also, factually wrong: around here there are, like, forty different main line of thought on the right way to make a good pizza. Personally, I don't think theres a wrong way to go. Plus, olive toppings are an abomination in the eyes of God and should be eraticated as the heresy they are :smalltongue:.

Back on topic: never tried pineapple pizza, but now I'm interested.

The Succubus
2012-03-14, 07:09 AM

*sits and munches his mint-choc chip, vanilla and cookie dough ice cream sundae.*

Sorry what was the question again?

Jan Mattys
2012-03-14, 07:10 AM
Real Italian Pizza? Oh, that's so sweet. Also, factually wrong: around here there are, like, forty different main line of thought on the right way to make a good pizza. Personally, I don't think theres a wrong way to go. Plus, olive toppings are an abomination in the eyes of God and should be eraticated as the heresy they are :smalltongue:.

Back on topic: never tried pineapple pizza, but now I'm interested.

Seriously, don't.

I was served one in Worcester when I went to England in my teens... Never again.

Also: while it is true that there's about a zillion ways to make pizza in Italy, the large, fried american one most certainly doesn't qualify.
If you went to a pizzeria and you had it served to you, you would probably find it delicious (that's personal taste), but you most definitely wouldn't find it an acceptable pizza.

Elemental
2012-03-14, 07:12 AM
I admit defeat on the mint front.
But vanilla comes from the fruit of the vanilla orchid, cookie dough requires grain and chocolate comes from cacao beans.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 07:13 AM
*sits and munches his mint-choc chip, vanilla and cookie dough ice cream sundae.*

Sorry what was the question again?
Oh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla#Biology), nothing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_bean).

factotum
2012-03-14, 08:52 AM
The idea of pineapple bacon though.....there's a demented logic in this that greatly appeals to me. I must try it.

Pineapple on gammon steak is a fairly common thing--I'm surprised you've never encountered it before. I actually quite like it. Pineapple on pizza, though, is an abomination; I don't think it adds anything good to either the taste or the texture of a pizza.

Slayn82
2012-03-14, 09:08 AM
People are complaining about Pineapple?

Better hide the Banana and Cinnamon, Avocado and Mango pizzas then.

As an european friend said to me once: "you brazillians love to put too much toppings on your pizzas, and combine sweet and salt. Too much for my stomach"

Of course, most of the time we don't eat such exotic pizzas.

But we may very well begin a lunch with beer, rice and beans, pasta, a bunch of churrasco - roasted beef, and finish with fruits - so, he does have a point.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 09:11 AM
Interestingly enough, medieval European food for nobility could be characterized as sweet and sour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_cuisine).

Elemental
2012-03-14, 09:12 AM
Why don't we all agree that everyone likes different styles of pizza?
If this thread has demonstrated anything, that would be it.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-14, 09:16 AM

Because someone is wrong on the internet? (http://xkcd.com/386/)

The Succubus
2012-03-14, 09:26 AM
Pineapple on gammon steak is a fairly common thing--I'm surprised you've never encountered it before. I actually quite like it. Pineapple on pizza, though, is an abomination; I don't think it adds anything good to either the taste or the texture of a pizza.

Indeed - this is where the demented logic springs from. I've had pineapple gammon before but never pineapple bacon. I'm just wondering how one would go about cooking it.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 09:27 AM
I can't say for anyone else, but I think this has been realized. Right now the thread is just in playful kibitzing mode, with no real animosity.

Indeed - this is where the demented logic springs from. I've had pineapple gammon before but never pineapple bacon. I'm just wondering how one would go about cooking it.
I didn't prepare it, but putting my chef hat on to reverse engineer it, I would cook bacon to the cooked but still tender stage and then add cubed pineapple, most likely canned, stirring and tossing in the sizzling fat until heated through, then simply pour into a bowl., bacon fat and all.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-03-14, 09:28 AM
I am just going to pop in and say that I like it, it is not my favourite; but I really like it, also awesome with hamburgers.

Rising Phoenix
2012-03-14, 09:52 AM
Pineapple on burgers is awesome too, IF you sear the pineapple to stop it being so juicy.

Oh yes, gods yes! With bacon, egg, beetroot, the works, everything! Now I am hungry :(

DiscipleofBob
2012-03-14, 09:54 AM
I've tried a pizza with corn and shrimp before. Suprisingly delicious, but doesn't exactly replace my favorites.

You know what's awesome but impossible to find: breakfast pizza.

Kalmageddon
2012-03-14, 10:01 AM
Well, there's nothing "wrong" with any kind of pizza toppings nowdays.
Personally I think that pineapples on pizza is effing disgusting, but on a conceptual basis it's not worst then, say, pizza with tuna and onions, or sausage and mushrooms, both of which are far more common, at least where I live.

Of course real pizza should be margherita only, and I know for a fact that pizza outside Italy is, well, not real pizza, simple as that. Not because it tastes worst, but because the ingredients are not the same, even if superficially they seem to be.

Kneenibble
2012-03-14, 11:02 AM

I presume you foreswear tomatoes on your pizza as well, then? :smallwink:

Karoht
2012-03-14, 11:08 AM
Pineapple + Pepperoni + Bacon + Extra Cheese. This combo will change your life if you already enjoy pineapple on pizza. Jalapeno peppers add on as well is pretty darned good too.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-14, 11:32 AM

Tomatoes are also a weird topping that don't belong on pizza. Any tomato in close proximity to pizza should only be as tomato sauce, which doesn't count.

Kneenibble
2012-03-14, 11:48 AM
Tomatoes are also a weird topping that don't belong on pizza. Any tomato in close proximity to pizza should only be as tomato sauce, which doesn't count.

*hugs*

I pity you.

Coidzor
2012-03-14, 12:09 PM
^: Indeed, sundried tomatoes all up ons. divine.

You guys have peanut flavored shortening? I'd never heard of that before. What's it primarily for?

I've heard good things about peanut butter on a cheeseburger, I must admit. Though I'm now reminded of the Peanut Cheese Bars of Earthbound...

Of course real pizza should be margherita only, and I know for a fact that pizza outside Italy is, well, not real pizza, simple as that. Not because it tastes worst, but because the ingredients are not the same, even if superficially they seem to be.

So what do you call the tradition that dates back before 1889 and appears in texts as early as the triple digits of AD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pizza)?

Or, just the stuff in the 1800s before the Margherita was presented?

valadil
2012-03-14, 12:25 PM
The salty/sweet combination doesn't work for everyone. I love pineapple pizza, but I wouldn't get it for every single pie I ate. Not a fan of ham though - pepperoni is the preferred pineapple companion for me.

H Birchgrove
2012-03-14, 12:57 PM
In Sweden, we have salty licorice, sweet mustard sauce with our pickled herring, and raisins in our rye bread. :smalleek: :smallamused:

Even if I didn't like pineapple on pizza (which I, in fact, do), I couldn't intellectually be opposed to it. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-14, 01:02 PM
You guys have peanut flavored shortening? I'd never heard of that before. What's it primarily for?

That's my personal term for the peanut butter you don't have to stir first, that has hydrogenated vegetable shortening added to keep it from separating as well as sugar for extra sweetness.
I find it much less versatile.

The Succubus
2012-03-14, 01:10 PM
In Sweden, we have salty licorice, sweet mustard sauce with our pickled herring, and raisins in our rye bread. :smalleek: :smallamused:

Even if I didn't like pineapple on pizza (which I, in fact, do), I couldn't intellectually be opposed to it. :smalltongue:

I tasted your salty produce once and my mouth nearly imploded. :smallyuk:

Eldan
2012-03-14, 04:21 PM
For me, it's a taste question. I quite like varieties of baked pineapple (see: pineapple pie, pineappl toast), but the combination of the quite overpowering taste of the herbs with the sweet pineapple just doesn't fit right.

Edit: nothing wrong with mixing weird foods. The best sandwich I ever made was smoked trout, garlic, honey, red thai curry sauce and old gruyère cheese.

Further edit: nothing wrong with jam and meat. It's actually traditional to serve berry jam with game.

H Birchgrove
2012-03-14, 08:32 PM
I tasted your salty produce once and my mouth nearly imploded. :smallyuk:

I heard from a good source that Russians don't like our sweet bread* and pickled herring...

... clearly, our diet is one big effort to not get us invaded by the empires and superpowers of the world. :smalltongue:

"Fermented herring!? No wai, lets take India instead, they make a mean curry!" :smallwink:

(No offence intended toward India... You have an excellent cuisine, and we all know how UK always wanted to improve on their own... :smallwink: :smalltongue: )

* Actually, that's because Sweden had a decent amount of sugar but not enough grain during the world wars, and thus the bread industry decided to have more sugar and air in the bread. After the end of WWII, bakeries had become so industrialized that they just continued with it. :smallyuk:

Bhu
2012-03-14, 08:52 PM
Some people just don't like fruit with meat. Pineapple on ham is amazing though. My dad, who usually doesn't like fruit and meat, makes exceptions for pineapple on ham.

Ironic then that tomatoes are fruit

TheThan
2012-03-14, 09:03 PM
I like pineapple, I even like grilled pineapple.

I like pizza, all sorts of pizza.

But I don't like pineapple baked, on cheese, tomato sauce, bread and Canadian bacon.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-14, 10:25 PM
I heard from a good source that Russians don't like our sweat bread* and pickled herring...

Does anyone like your sweat bread? It doesn't sound very appetizing...:smallbiggrin:

*hugs*

I pity you.

I no rite? Tomatoes and bread are delicious, there's little better for snack than a focaccia loaf with sundried tomato slices embedded in the top. But the only red things a pizza is supposed to have are pepperoni, tomato sauce, and sometimes sweet peppers if I want them.

Whiffet
2012-03-14, 10:26 PM
Pineapple? On a pizza? What is this abomination?? Talk about a horrid combination! :smalltongue:

Broccoli, on the other hand, really needs to be more common on pizza. Seriously, guys, I only have one restaurant around here that offers it and they still give me weird looks.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-14, 10:27 PM
Pineapple? On a pizza? What is this abomination?? Talk about a horrid combination! :smalltongue:

Broccoli, on the other hand, really needs to be more common on pizza. Seriously, guys, I only have one restaurant around here that offers it and they still give me weird looks.

Okay, you need help.:smallcool:

ThreadKiller
2012-03-14, 10:41 PM
Haha, I just watched that Futurama episode not that long ago.

Normally, I don't like to eat meat in combination with fruit, but I'm on the boat that while Hawaiian pizza isn't my favorite, it is pleasantly tasty.

Also, there's this mom and pop restaurant nearby that makes a yellow curry chicken with lightly fried potatoes, zucchini, and pineapples. I was skeptical, but it's delicious!

factotum
2012-03-15, 02:30 AM
Also, there's this mom and pop restaurant nearby that makes a yellow curry chicken with lightly fried potatoes, zucchini, and pineapples. I was skeptical, but it's delicious!

I remember a time when every jar of curry sauce you could buy in the UK had raisins in it. (This was the 70s, mind you, and that decade was generally not a culinary highlight...).

Coidzor
2012-03-15, 02:36 AM
I remember a time when every jar of curry sauce you could buy in the UK had raisins in it. (This was the 70s, mind you, and that decade was generally not a culinary highlight...).

Sounds like an admirable but misplaced effort to get people to learn how to cook. :smallamused:

Mystic Muse
2012-03-15, 02:57 AM

IMHO, pizza is better without the sauce. This is why I eat Calzones.:smalltongue:

Dandria
2012-03-15, 03:43 AM
Personally I think that pineapples on pizza is effing disgusting, but on a conceptual basis it's not worst then, say, pizza with tuna and onions, or sausage and mushrooms, both of which are far more common, at least where I live.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go crazy here: tuna and onions are AMAZING toppings for pizza. Come on, man, don't mock this proud and ancient tradition :smallannoyed:

Feytalist
2012-03-15, 04:00 AM
Weirdest pizza I have ever seen eaten:

Sour cream and caviar. It was... runny.

Kalmageddon
2012-03-15, 04:15 AM
{scrubbed}

dehro
2012-03-15, 05:01 AM
wrong... I can and I do
pineapple on a pizza is just wrong..there, I said it

it's even worse than ketchup on scrambled eggs.
(funny thing is, I would probably like it if I tried it, the pineapple, that is, not the ketchup, or more likely tollerate it...but I can't beat the fact that I just know it is wrong).

Grogmir
2012-03-15, 06:13 AM

No No no.. Sir... Tomatoes are the exception that proves the rule.

Tomatoes are cool, they hang with the letter y.

Mercenary Pen
2012-03-15, 07:20 AM
No No no.. Sir... Tomatoes are the exception that proves the rule.

Tomatoes are cool, they hang with the letter y.

Firstly, the use of prove in that phrase is a somewhat archaic meaning which means to test, so by strict reading that statement does not do what you (and many other people) think it does.

Secondly, what about peppers? Whether we're talking chillies or regular peppers, they're also fruit, so presumably you avoid them as well.

dehro
2012-03-15, 07:59 AM
meh..I've even seen ketchup being used on pizza
it has gone down in family lore as the worst pizza ever, and the one occurrence where even my dad's wife, who is a pizza enthusiast, didn't manage to swallow a single bite before we left the place and went to open a can of tuna in the caravan instead.
the place? a pizza place in the Yosemite national park.
the object of our scorn?
a few inches of spongey dough stuff, topped by abbundant helpings of ketchup.. and something that was halfway between yoghurt and the most blandest form of cheese I've ever had the misfortune of tasting.
anything else they poured on top of that simply drowned in the sorrowness of it all.
the added insult? when we ran for the integrity of our intestines, we spotted a gynormous writing on the outer wall of this place stating that they'd been making pizza since sometimes after WW2.

Copper
2012-03-15, 06:00 PM
Actually I had pineapple on pizza a few months ago for the first time. I really expected to dislike it, but it was great!! I know want pinapples on all the pizza! I think some people dismiss it without trying it first, which I find silly. Give it chance!

H Birchgrove
2012-03-16, 08:59 AM
Does anyone like your sweat bread? It doesn't sound very appetizing...:smallbiggrin:

Sweet! It was meant to be "sweet"! :smallsigh: :smallyuk:

(I've edited my previous post now. :smallwink: )

Castaras
2012-03-16, 09:29 AM
I get a lot of people saying I'm silly when I go for ham + pineapple. But I'm less of a meat lover compared to most of my friends, or I like meat more than the vegetarian friends. :smalltongue:

Elemental
2012-03-16, 09:30 AM
I get a lot of people saying I'm silly when I go for ham + pineapple. But I'm less of a meat lover compared to most of my friends, or I like meat more than the vegetarian friends. :smalltongue:

Ham and Pineapple is awesome!
*high fives*

Haruki-kun
2012-03-16, 10:09 AM
wrong... I can and I do
pineapple on a pizza is just wrong..there, I said it

it's even worse than ketchup on scrambled eggs.
(funny thing is, I would probably like it if I tried it, the pineapple, that is, not the ketchup, or more likely tollerate it...but I can't beat the fact that I just know it is wrong).

....would it be off-topic to point out that ketchup on scrambled eggs is not actually that bad? Kinda like pineapple on pizza? :smallcool:

Madmal
2012-03-16, 10:18 AM
There are certain topics in this world which will irremediably cause frictions even among close families and best friends:

-Politics
-Religion
-Music
-Pizza Toppings. (Hey!, it made the Buddy Bears NOT GET ALONG!):smalltongue:

EDIT: I tolerate Pineapple, but i prefer onions, shrimp and green and black olives. Banana is good too, but adviced not to go with the previous ones.

Green and red peppers should be tossed back to hell, where i'm sure they originally came from. :smallyuk:

Elemental
2012-03-16, 10:33 AM
There are certain topics in this world which will irremediably cause frictions even among close families and best friends:

-Politics
-Religion
-Music
-Pizza Toppings. (Hey!, it made the Buddy Bears NOT GET ALONG!):smalltongue:

EDIT: I tolerate Pineapple, but i prefer onions, shrimp and green and black olives. Banana is good too, but adviced not to go with the previous ones.

Green and red peppers should be tossed back to hell, where i'm sure they originally came from. :smallyuk:

You forgot the dispute between abstract art styles and realistic art styles.
Oh, and the cats versus dogs debate.

Madmal
2012-03-16, 10:52 AM
You forgot the dispute between abstract art styles and realistic art styles.
Oh, and the cats versus dogs debate.

Never been on an art one; they both are forms of expression, only one depends less on the outside reality, the way i see it. But then, i've never been someone to "really" contemplate art.

The second one is dumb, my family has always had both cats and dogs and they get fine as long as the cats get their food on time so they don't steal from the dog's share; and the dogs don't get on everyone's nerves. :smalltongue:

super dark33
2012-03-16, 05:31 PM
You can put a chillied-pinapple on a burger.
tastes like rainbows..

here in israel, the pineapple is mostly used for either fruit saleds or creamy delights, so no one really knows hows it like on a pizza.

My father once told me a story:

He and my uncle were on a trip to brazil.
they ordered a pizza and asked for no toppings.
the brazilians couldnt understand: a pizza without pineapple? so they gave them a pizza with pineapple.

and thats how almost every pizza in my house has pineapple on it.

Riverdance
2012-03-16, 05:35 PM
People have inexplicably strong opinions about 'correct' pizza. See also: New York vs. Chicago style, 'authentic Italian' vs. every other way of making a pizza, and probably three or four others.

I'll admit I have inherited my dad's almost snobbish appreciation for New York style pizza as the best, but I will eat just about any kind, and thoroughly enjoy it, be it NY style, deep dish, or cheap stuff from a grease bucket establishment. I don't mind pineapple on pizza at all, in fact I rather enjoy it.

Whiffet
2012-03-16, 07:23 PM
I just had a delicious pizza with broccoli and hamburger. And romano cheese. You guys just don't know what you're missing, I tell you.

Hey, what's with the straitjacket? Guys? Guys??

Rawhide
2012-03-16, 08:18 PM
I've changed my mind, pineapple on pizza is an abomination.

...a most delicious abomination. I want more, MORE, MORE!!! Eat ALL the pineapple pizzas! Thank goodness to whoever created this absolutely delicious abomination, and may cthulhu have mercy on your soul if you ever try to take it away from me.

H Birchgrove
2012-03-17, 10:49 PM
I just had a delicious pizza with broccoli and hamburger. And romano cheese. You guys just don't know what you're missing, I tell you.

I will visit you every weekend at the asylum, I promise! :smalleek:

:smallwink:

I've changed my mind, pineapple on pizza is an abomination.

...a most delicious abomination. I want more, MORE, MORE!!! Eat ALL the pineapple pizzas! Thank goodness to whoever created this absolutely delicious abomination, and may cthulhu have mercy on your soul if you ever try to take it away from me.

:smallbiggrin: I couldn't agree more.

Elemental
2012-03-17, 10:57 PM

Not the weirdest thing people have ever enjoyed eating. I mean, when it comes to a homemade pizza, people can make it however they want.
Though... Broccoli is an abomination at the best of time...

Ravens_cry
2012-03-18, 12:28 AM
Well, if you blanched the stems and sliced them really thin, it could work.
But the florets would most likely turn bitter if allowed to broil.

dehro
2012-03-18, 05:18 AM
I'm surprised nobody has objected to having a hamburger on a pizza...why not roll it up, bake it in eggs and give it an icecream topping while you're at it?:smallconfused:

Lady Tialait
2012-03-18, 05:39 AM
My problem with the 'Ham and Pineapple Pizza' is two-fold. First, I can't stand the ham part, so I have them remove it, then there is the Tomato-based sauce, I hate Tomatoes I have not personally grown, and I can't stand to see them destroyed into a nasty sauce. I have them add a non-tomato based sauce (They usually have something.). I normally have them add feta.

The Pineapple baked with the cheesy goodness reminds me of my grandmother, who always has at three thirty each day a bowl of cottage cheese with canned pineapple over it, juice and all. The Pizza has a beloved place in my heart.

In short, to hate Pineapple Pizza is to hate my Grandmother. You monster.

Heads_or_Tails
2012-03-18, 06:04 AM
Pineapple pizza is a fine thing. So long as the pineapple can be picked off without leaving a trace of its passing.

Preferable though is a pizza which never knew of the horrors of that fruit; just with capsicum, cheese, shredded meat, anchovies, pepperoni and red onion.

Elemental
2012-03-18, 06:10 AM
Pineapple pizza is a fine thing. So long as the pineapple can be picked off without leaving a trace of its passing.

Despite liking pineapple on pizza, I agree with your sentiment.
I can eat almost any kind of pizza, if I can be allowed to meticulously remove the toppings I don't want.

Elder Tsofu
2012-03-18, 06:54 AM
In short, to hate Pineapple Pizza is to hate my Grandmother. You monster.

Must be hard having one of the more hated people on earth as your grandmother. :smallwink:

---

I'm of the opinion: Why reduce the splendour of a perfectly good pizza by adding pineapple to it? Perhaps the lovers were treated with it as children so they got used to the weird taste and later on attached nostalgia to it as an extra currant? :smallsmile:

Elemental
2012-03-18, 07:17 AM
I'm of the opinion: Why reduce the splendour of a perfectly good pizza by adding pineapple to it? Perhaps the lovers were treated with it as children so they got used to the weird taste and later on attached nostalgia to it as an extra currant? :smallsmile:

Didn't we already agree it was an acquired taste?
Like vegemite and sugarless tea? (Damn it, I've just started a debate about tea)

Story Time
2012-03-18, 07:21 AM

What's a satay?

For me strawberry jam on a salmon and cheese pizza is lovely! :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2012-03-18, 07:37 AM
indonesian sauce based on peanut butter, really good with chicken

Story Time
2012-03-18, 08:22 AM
Satay is peanut sauce? I may have had it before. Probably on rice, I think. I was at this Thai restaurant, I think. I liked their iced tea, too.

Elder Tsofu
2012-03-18, 08:27 AM
Didn't we already agree it was an acquired taste?
Like vegemite and sugarless tea? (Damn it, I've just started a debate about tea)

Nope, we didn't. :smallwink:

Castaras
2012-03-18, 08:33 AM
Wait, pineapple + ham is aquired? When did this happen, I've always loved ham and pineapple. :smallconfused:

Elemental
2012-03-18, 08:37 AM
Wait, pineapple + ham is aquired? When did this happen, I've always loved ham and pineapple. :smallconfused:

You're right... It's not an acquired taste.

It's merely something that doesn't sound like it would be delicious.
Fruit and meat aren't usually something you expect to see together. Unless the fruit in question is commonly referred to as a vegetable.

Mercenary Pen
2012-03-18, 09:05 AM
You're right... It's not an acquired taste.

It's merely something that doesn't sound like it would be delicious.
Fruit and meat aren't usually something you expect to see together. Unless the fruit in question is commonly referred to as a vegetable.

Pork and apple would beg to differ, as would turkey and cranberry- and maybe even duck and orange...

Elemental
2012-03-18, 09:14 AM
Pork and apple would beg to differ, as would turkey and cranberry- and maybe even duck and orange...

I didn't say the results can't be delicious. In fact, they often are.
It all the depends on the variety of fruit and method of preparation.

Castaras
2012-03-18, 09:17 AM
Think Merc was more pointing out "Fruit + Meat doesn't normally go together" bit. :smallsmile: Have to say I see fruit + meat a lot. Is normally verreh nice. :smallbiggrin:

Elemental
2012-03-18, 09:19 AM
Think Merc was more pointing out "Fruit + Meat doesn't normally go together" bit. :smallsmile: Have to say I see fruit + meat a lot. Is normally verreh nice. :smallbiggrin:

I'm just going to give up now. It's hard to win an argument when you're wrong.
And those steaks we had one time were very delicious, and quite purplish. I can't remember what made them purplish though...

Mercenary Pen
2012-03-18, 09:22 AM

Yes, I was commenting on the "Fruit and meat aren't usually something you expect to see together"- and I'm willing to accept my part in any misunderstandings that may ensued from there.

dehro
2012-03-18, 02:42 PM
ham and melon dishes are fairly standard summer entree, at least in my parts.
pineapple less so.. but then, chinese food has plenty of sweet-sour dishes, so the concept isn't alien to me.
what bugs me is to combine this with pizza.
it just sounds weird, no matter how tasty the end result may be

Ravens_cry
2012-03-18, 04:00 PM
If it's tasty, it's not weird. :smalltongue:

Whiffet
2012-03-18, 05:08 PM
I'm surprised nobody has objected to having a hamburger on a pizza...why not roll it up, bake it in eggs and give it an icecream topping while you're at it?:smallconfused:

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean a hamburger, I just meant chunks of ground beef. My fault: I should have known that wouldn't universally be the typical term.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-18, 05:12 PM
Anyone know if gold nuggets on pizza is any good? Or what about chicken nuggets on pizza?

Bhu
2012-03-18, 06:46 PM
http://themellowjihadi.com/tag/goodfellas-pizza-staten-island/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxpuPB2tv8Q&noredirect=1

ill just leave dese here

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-18, 09:37 PM
Pineapple in sweet and sour is nice too :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2012-03-18, 09:58 PM
Pineapple, roma tomato, crumbled seasoned ground beef, red onion, and sweet peppers on a blend of colby, monterey jack, mozzarella, and asiago cheeses.

You can all be horrified now.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-18, 10:04 PM
Well, most of that sounds good. I'm not sure if in that case pineapple works, you already got a lot of sweetness from the tomatoes and peppers, but it could work. I'd have to try it to see.

Elemental
2012-03-18, 10:09 PM
Pineapple, roma tomato, crumbled seasoned ground beef, red onion, and sweet peppers on a blend of colby, monterey jack, mozzarella, and asiago cheeses.

You can all be horrified now.

Sounds quite nice. Except for a few ingredients that I just hate.
I'll take mine without tomatoes or sweet peppers.

Coidzor
2012-03-18, 10:34 PM
Sorry, forgot about the diced tomatoes, chipotle hot sauce, worchestershire sauce, boxed "red wine," red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, honey, tabasco sauce, red pepper flakes, powdered sundried tomato, and pineapple juice that got mixed into the sauce.

Now you can be horrified by that concoction. It'd be even worse but I couldn't find the jalapeno hot sauce or the "sweet and sour" hot sauce.

Elemental
2012-03-18, 10:50 PM
Sorry, forgot about the diced tomatoes, chipotle hot sauce, worchestershire sauce, boxed "red wine," red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, honey, tabasco sauce, red pepper flakes, powdered sundried tomato, and pineapple juice that got mixed into the sauce.

Now you can be horrified by that concoction. It'd be even worse but I couldn't find the jalapeno hot sauce or the "sweet and sour" hot sauce.

I'll have to pass on the whole thing then. I can't stand spicy foods.
My tongue is burning just thinking of that.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-03-18, 10:54 PM

Where? Who says this? I have heard nothing of the sort! I love pineapple on my pizza, especially with Canadian bacon!

Coidzor
2012-03-18, 11:03 PM
I'll have to pass on the whole thing then. I can't stand spicy foods.
My tongue is burning just thinking of that.

The amount of honey and wine actually modulated the heat of the spice in this particular blend. Since the heat of spicy things is diminished by sugar, possibly sweetness.

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-18, 11:04 PM
How is that different from regular bacon?

Elemental
2012-03-18, 11:07 PM
It's Canadian.
Hooray for Captain Obvious!
I have no idea.

The amount of honey and wine actually modulated the heat of the spice in this particular blend. Since the heat of spicy things is diminished by sugar, possibly sweetness.

Oh, well, I don't drink, so I'll think about trying it without the wine.

Rawhide
2012-03-18, 11:44 PM
I give to you, the meat pie pizza!

http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/images/articles/20070415-Aussie_Meat_Pie_Pizza_1.jpg

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-18, 11:47 PM
Can you just add Vegemite and weetbix to that and it would be perfect? :smallbiggrin:

Elemental
2012-03-18, 11:49 PM
I'd prefer an actual meat pie.

Coidzor
2012-03-18, 11:50 PM
Oh, well, I don't drink, so I'll think about trying it without the wine.

Not drinking has very little to do with using wine to cook with. :smalltongue:

factotum
2012-03-19, 02:37 AM
Not drinking has very little to do with using wine to cook with. :smalltongue:

I'd say it has everything to do with it, considering the two most likely reasons for not drinking are (a) dislike of the taste--so why would you let it anywhere near your food or (b) moral or other objections to the consumption of alcohol...

Coidzor
2012-03-19, 02:40 AM
I'd say it has everything to do with it, considering the two most likely reasons for not drinking are (a) dislike of the taste--so why would you let it anywhere near your food or (b) moral or other objections to the consumption of alcohol...

1. Suffice to say, that's not really a concern with most methods of cooking.

2. Generally you're using so little or cooking it for so long that there's no alcohol by that point and I know plenty of [redacted] that make pies with bourbon in them. :smalltongue:

Feytalist
2012-03-19, 02:58 AM
ham and melon dishes are fairly standard summer entree, at least in my parts.

That's actually carpaccio and summer melon, and it's a type of antipasto, and it's delicious. :smallbiggrin: (Yes, I've got a thing for Italian foods.)

But I realise I'm speaking to someone actually living in Italy, so maybe I should just shut the hell up. :smalltongue:

1. Suffice to say, that's not really a concern with most methods of cooking.

2. Generally you're using so little or cooking it for so long that there's no alcohol by that point and I know plenty of [redacted] that make pies with bourbon in them. :smalltongue:

Cooking with wine (or port or brandy) is simply like adding any other flavour enhancer. It enhances the food without lending its own taste. Unless you're dousing it with so much brandy it hasn't evaporated everything, but that's a case of Doing It Wrong. No alcohol left, no lingering wine taste, so there's really no reason to object to cooking with the stuff. Unless you simply don't like the enhanced taste. I suppose anything is possible.

dehro
2012-03-19, 05:07 AM
Oh, sorry. I didn't mean a hamburger, I just meant chunks of ground beef. My fault: I should have known that wouldn't universally be the typical term.

ah..so..saussage..shoulda said that sooner :smalltongue::smallwink:

http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/images/articles/20070415-Aussie_Meat_Pie_Pizza_1.jpg

abomination!

That's actually carpaccio and summer melon, and it's a type of antipasto, and it's delicious. :smallbiggrin: (Yes, I've got a thing for Italian foods.)

But I realise I'm speaking to someone actually living in Italy, so maybe I should just shut the hell up. :smalltongue:

Carpaccio and summer melon is a possibility... but the classic is ham and melon (I did mean summer melon by that...should have clarified)

carpaccio is usually consumed with "shards" of Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and rocket salad on top... at least in a restaurant

Feytalist
2012-03-19, 05:30 AM
carpaccio is usually consumed with "shards" of Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and rocket salad on top... at least in a restaurant

Actually, I have seen that in restaurants before, now that you mention it. But my girlfriend and her family (who are Italian) swear by beef carpaccio and melon. They indoctrinated me, I guess. Also with regards to real, proper pizza. :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2012-03-19, 05:55 AM
Actually, I have seen that in restaurants before, now that you mention it. But my girlfriend and her family (who are Italian) swear by beef carpaccio and melon. They indoctrinated me, I guess. Also with regards to real, proper pizza. :smallbiggrin:

good people :smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-19, 10:14 AM
I hear that adding a half shot of some hard liquor, tequila seems to be the tippler of choice, to a tomato sauce does awesome things to the flavour as some compounds in tomatoes are soluble in alcohol and not water.

Bhu
2012-03-19, 10:35 AM
i like mine with hot sauce

Ravens_cry
2012-03-19, 10:44 AM
i like mine with hot sauce
What kind? I prefer Huy Fong Sriracha sauce, typical Louisiana and Tabasco are too salty and vinegary for my tastes, and the garlic is also a nice touch.

Karoht
2012-03-19, 02:08 PM
Alcohol + Tomato sauce = win.
I have seen and tasted tomato sauces all made with the following: red wine, white wine, tequilla, vodka, cognac, amaretto, white rum, absinthe. All of which were astonishingly good, to my pallette anyway.

turkishproverb
2012-03-19, 02:11 PM
Heh. I've seen that. Not as demonized as anchovies though.

Pineapple is the best possible topping to a pizza. Anyone who says otherwise is an alien spy. Everyone knows that pineapple is the fatal weakness of aliens and they're trying to rid the world of it for their imminent invasion. So if you care about the future of Earth, then eat pineapple pizza.

I prefer mushrooms on pizza and Pineapple in my drinks.

Eldan
2012-03-19, 04:52 PM
Anchovies are gods gift to good cooking.

Rawhide
2012-03-19, 06:40 PM
I'd like to add a new one to the mix of delicious food:

Grab a jaffle maker (also known as a sandwich toaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_toaster), but with the distinct difference from a sandwich press or grill in that it seals the toasted sandwich/jaffle shut in either one or two parts), add the following three ingredients:

Ham
Cheese
Pineapple

Delicious.

Another variety to try is ham, cheese, and tomato - a much more savoury flavour (caution, tomato will be hot!). Jaffles also accept minced meat very well (cook it first with whatever sauces you want, then you can put it into the jaffle maker cold) or baked beans. But, the point is, ham, cheese, and pineapple in a sealed toasted sandwich is delicious.

dehro
2012-03-19, 06:46 PM
is it weird that the combination between the title of this thread and the one below, about dolphin brains, has reminded me that I haven't had proper dinner tonight?

Tebryn
2012-03-19, 06:58 PM
How is that different from regular bacon?

Well....there is no such thing as "regular bacon" really in so far as a dominant style that's invoked. Bacon is just cured pork with varying cuts, thicknesses and over all tastes. I suspect you mean by "regular bacon" would be what is called Side Bacon or "Streaky" bacon which is cut not from the side but the pork belly. Canadian Bacon, in the states, is also called Rashers, Irish Bacon or Back Bacon which is cut from the loin in the middle back of the pig. It's more like ham in texture and taste and has a round shape.

turkishproverb
2012-03-19, 08:04 PM
Anchovies are gods gift to good cooking.

They do come in handy now and again. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-19, 08:49 PM
I've had anchovy paste, one of those things, like Marmite, I always wanted to try that I bought shortly after I moved out.
It's not terrible, not exactly the best thing ever but not the worst either.
More salty than anything really.
Marmite on the other hand is great on frozen wheat bread with butter or margarine.

dehro
2012-03-20, 04:47 AM
since we're at it, what are the different names, in english, for the following, all of them legit pizza toppings?

prosciutto crudo = raw ham? (in my time in england I found it mostly called parma ham? :smallconfused: inaccurate at best http://www.ilmangiaweb.it/img/prosciutti-crudi.png
Coppa = ? http://agoteam.blog.tiscali.it/files/2011/12/coppa.jpg
prosciutto cotto = Ham (no distinction from other varieties?)http://www.salumeriadho.it/img/prosciutto.jpg
lardo = lard ? (doesn't seem right..somehow)http://www.colonnata.com/Colonnata_com_file/clip_image001.jpg
speck = ? http://www.albanesi.it/Alimentazione/cibi/Imma/speck.jpg

Bhu
2012-03-20, 08:28 AM
What kind? I prefer Huy Fong Sriracha sauce, typical Louisiana and Tabasco are too salty and vinegary for my tastes, and the garlic is also a nice touch.

I experiment with it a lot. Some of the Cholula variants work okay. I like Sriracha. Arizona Gunslinger, and some of Melinda's sauces are pretty good.

The Succubus
2012-03-20, 10:59 AM
Another variety to try is ham, cheese, and tomato - a much more savoury flavour (caution, tomato will be hot!). Jaffles also accept minced meat very well (cook it first with whatever sauces you want, then you can put it into the jaffle maker cold) or baked beans. But, the point is, ham, cheese, and pineapple in a sealed toasted sandwich is delicious.

Pro tip - use tomato puree rather than normal tomatos for a nice kick. Ham is optional.

Coidzor
2012-03-20, 02:56 PM
lardo = lard ? (doesn't seem right..somehow)http://www.colonnata.com/Colonnata_com_file/clip_image001.jpg

Is that rendered animal fat? Because that looks more like a pastrami than lard.

dehro
2012-03-20, 04:14 PM
this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lardo)is what wikipedia has to say about it. it seems there isn't an english term for it..

tyckspoon
2012-03-20, 05:34 PM
since we're at it, what are the different names, in english, for the following, all of them legit pizza toppings?

Ham, ham, ham, and ham, except for the lardo, which we'd probably just call fat. English isn't big on variants of ham- if we need to name them specifically, we'll use the native language words for them.

Katana_Geldar
2012-03-20, 07:26 PM
Proscuto is called that here, but it's more of a posh form of ham.

dehro
2012-03-20, 07:50 PM
meh..you people have one of the most wordy languages in the world, and you're using it for all the wrong things :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2012-03-20, 08:10 PM
meh..you people have one of the most wordy languages in the world, and you're using it for all the wrong things :smallbiggrin:

:smallconfused: You've never run into the quote about English skulking around in dark alleys, knocking out errant languages and rifling through their pockets for spare verbiage? Huh. Would've thought that'd be a good illustration to bring up when teaching English.

I believe the text goes something like this.
“English: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.”
― James Nicol

Ravens_cry
2012-03-20, 09:14 PM
Or as I put it, "English is a bastard in both senses of the word."

rgrekejin
2012-03-20, 09:20 PM
I don't personally like it, but I know plenty of people who do. It's pretty standard fare around these parts. My brother's fiance is Jewish, and she likes it because it's one of the few really flavorful toppings you can get that's kosher, or so I am told.

Tebryn
2012-03-20, 09:23 PM

We're not the one with six words for ham. :smalltongue:

dehro
2012-03-20, 10:00 PM
We're not the one with six words for ham. :smalltongue:

my point exactly:smallbiggrin:

Elemental
2012-03-20, 10:01 PM
But we are the ones with over a half dozen ways of saying everything else.

Edit, because I was ninja'ed: Actually... I don't have anything else to add except for the fact that you're right. I'm just going to put it down to the English not having a wide variety of their own hams in comparison to other countries.
Other kinds of food are different stories.

Bhu
2012-03-21, 11:50 AM
Protip from a former pizza restaurant manager: Really really fatty meats don't do well on pizza. The fat melts in the heat an soaks into the crust making it soggy and prone to coming apart. Similar with veggies or fruits that hold lots of water. It's easier to cook them separately and add when the pie is done.

Anuan
2012-03-22, 02:00 AM

I'd eat the hell out of that, but the carrots and peas shouldn't be there. Well. It'd be fine and tasty, but they don't belong in a regular meat pie, just in a chicken pie.

Carpaccio and summer melon is a possibility... but the classic is ham and melon (I did mean summer melon by that...should have clarified)

This is how I had carpaccio. It was okay, but I couldn't finish it, and I'm glad I had a very good garlic bread with it. I guess my palate isn't sophisticated enough for raw meat.

Coidzor
2012-03-22, 02:04 AM
Protip from a former pizza restaurant manager: Really really fatty meats don't do well on pizza. The fat melts in the heat an soaks into the crust making it soggy and prone to coming apart. Similar with veggies or fruits that hold lots of water. It's easier to cook them separately and add when the pie is done.

I just learned this the hard way a few days ago when I tried to make a chipotle-mayo pizza. Ended up just being cheese bread with a lot of spicy oil soaked into the crust.

Snares
2012-03-22, 02:16 AM
Pineapple on pizza is terrible. I will never bow to you people.

Then again I don't like things like baked beans and mushrooms and most onion, so listening to me on food isn't the best idea if you want to eat, well, practically anything.

Coidzor
2012-03-22, 02:25 AM
Then again I don't like things like baked beans and mushrooms and most onion, so listening to me on food isn't the best idea if you want to eat, well, practically anything.

Depends, American or British style baked beans?

Knaight
2012-03-22, 02:36 AM

A) Dislike of the taste tends to come from the alcohol itself, see b.
B) The boiling point of ethanol is about 70 C at sea level. The boiling point of water is about 100 C at sea level. Enthalpy of vaporization is also lower for ethanol. In short, if you are boiling the water much at all, and you almost certainly are, the alcohol is basically gone.

With that said, there are reasons that neatly prevent both cooking with alcohol and drinking it, but the two are largely different.

H Birchgrove
2012-03-22, 05:44 AM

There's a beef and sauce Bearnaise pizza variant over here in Turnipland. I love sauce Bearnaise, but I think it's "too much" to have on pizza. :smalleek:

Story Time
2012-03-22, 07:00 AM
Eggs Benedict.

I have yet to try Hollandaise Sauce on pizza. Maybe I should. It sounds good. With eggs, maybe?

factotum
2012-03-22, 07:33 AM
Depends, American or British style baked beans?

There's a difference? :smallconfused:

turkishproverb
2012-03-22, 08:32 AM

Actually, for the most part it depends on how you prepare your ingredients in my experience. The chief problem with pineapple is usual the amount, and the construction of the pizza. That tends to be less a problem with most other veggies etc. Not sure how much I green on the meats, really depends on what qualifies as "Really fatty" since the most fatty things I find on most pizzas are bacon, ham, and sausage, all of which tend to be cooked before being put on the pizza as well as added before cooking the pie.

Out of curiosity, what kind've pizza joint did you manage, National chain, regional chain, small chain, or indy?

Karoht
2012-03-22, 10:03 AM
Italian Flatbread entre's use lean meats or thin cuts exclusively, and for pretty much this reason.
For those not in the know, Pizza is not Italian, though it does have some basis. Italians would make flatbread, and put toppings on it, very similarly to pizza. It's quite different from pizza though.

dehro
2012-03-22, 11:13 AM
wikipedia seems to agree with "italian popular knowledge"

Pizza (Italian pronunciation: [ˈpittsa], from the Latin verb pìnsere, to press) is Greek in origin. The Ancient Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese. In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled πίτα or pita, meaning pie. The word has now spread to Turkish as pide,[2] and Bulgarian, Croatian and Serbian as pita, Albanian as pite and Modern Hebrew pittāh.[3] The Romans developed placenta, a sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey and flavored with bay leaves. Modern pizza originated in Italy as the Neapolitan pie with tomato. In 1889, cheese was added.[4]
In 1889, during a visit to Naples, Queen Margherita of Italy was served a pizza resembling the colors of the Italian flag, red (tomato), white (mozzarella) and green (basil). This kind of pizza has been named after the Queen as Pizza Margherita.[citation needed]
yes, I know..wikipedia isn't a reputable source, usually.. and yes, I also know that there isn't an actual proof that things are as the wiki entry tells us... but this is more or less what I've read, heard or been told by anyone who knew anything about pizza..over the yeras..so I presume it's fairly accurate.
what today is called Pizza is very much an italian thing, apprently.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-22, 11:17 AM
It may have started that way, but it's much more of an American thing now. Chicago Deep Dish, New York style.
These are not Italian names.

Castaras
2012-03-22, 11:24 AM
It may have started that way, but it's much more of an American thing now. Chicago Deep Dish, New York style.

Think it depends on your location. I see more italian inspired pizza compared to american inspired pizza round here. But then again, Britain is closer to Italy than America. :smallsmile:

dehro
2012-03-22, 11:44 AM

stop stealing our stuff and calling it yours! :smalltongue::smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2012-03-22, 11:51 AM
stop stealing our stuff and calling it yours! :smalltongue::smallbiggrin::smalltongue:
I'm not American.

Karoht
2012-03-22, 11:54 AM
I'm Canadian. We invented things like Ginger Beef (considered to be Chinese cuisine) and Caeser's (the drink, not the salad) and I've been lead to believe we've invented a few other special dishes that people mistakenly believe are authentic cuisine. Borrowing Pizza? Yeah, not that big a deal here.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-22, 11:57 AM

We do it all the time with vocabulary, why not food as well?

Kneenibble
2012-03-22, 11:59 AM

Blame your own emmigrants. :smallwink:

razark
2012-03-22, 12:01 PM
stop stealing our stuff and calling it yours!
Stop sending your people here with your stuff. :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2012-03-22, 12:04 PM
lol.. I knew people would reply to that one..

reminds me of the chicken tikka masala thing..

tyckspoon
2012-03-22, 01:04 PM
There's a difference? :smallconfused:

Yup. British-style baked beans use a thinner, less-sweet tomato-based sauce. American baked beans often have a sweetener as a primary ingredient (molasses, maple syrup, corn syrup in modern mass-production) which usually gives a thicker, darker, and sweeter sauce.

Karoht
2012-03-22, 01:08 PM
We do it all the time with vocabulary, why not food as well?
We do it with things that come out of our mouth, might as well do it with things that go in?

Sthalor
2012-03-22, 01:16 PM
I just don't like the taste of it on pizza.

Bhu
2012-03-22, 03:42 PM
There's a beef and sauce Bearnaise pizza variant over here in Turnipland. I love sauce Bearnaise, but I think it's "too much" to have on pizza. :smalleek:

Turnipland?

Out of curiosity, what kind've pizza joint did you manage, National chain, regional chain, small chain, or indy?

2 different national chains and one indy. I'd go mom and pop pizza stores all the way, I hate chains (both working for them and the food). Indy pizza stores often (not always) have both better service and product where i live as long as you arent on a college campus. For some reason the closer to OSU you are the more likely the pizza crust is to taste like baked clay...

factotum
2012-03-22, 04:37 PM
American baked beans often have a sweetener as a primary ingredient (molasses, maple syrup, corn syrup in modern mass-production) which usually gives a thicker, darker, and sweeter sauce.

Yuk...sounds revolting. :smallyuk:

Coidzor
2012-03-22, 04:38 PM
Yuk...sounds revolting. :smallyuk:

You guys keep saying that while touting the "obvious" superiority of bland, flavorless beans over beans that are at least flavored with some smoked bacon or onions or something. :smalltongue:

Castaras
2012-03-22, 05:28 PM
Baked beans aren't flavourless. :smallconfused: All the ones I've had have lots of flavour. Taste especially good with jacket potato and cheese, or with a cooked breakfast with bacon and egg.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-22, 07:43 PM
A lot of baked beans on this side of the pond tend to be very sweet. Some maple flavoured baked beans taste like they would be better on pancakes to be honest. I guess in comparison, British baked beans would be a bit bland.
Personally, unless it's home-made, I prefer chilli.

Morbis Meh
2012-03-23, 02:31 PM
I have a friend that made pizza using bacon as the crust... not sure of is an abomination or a godsend, she swears that it works...

I personally dislike pineapples in general, it is too sweet for me and I am not a fan of its stringy texture. So I am not a fan of it on pizza or anything in general but fruit and meat are delicious porker stuffed with cranberry raisins is delicious.

dehro
2012-03-23, 03:09 PM
I have a friend that made pizza using bacon as the crust... not sure of is an abomination or a godsend, she swears that it works....

I'm kinda stumped by the mechanics of this..but it sounds yummy

Kneenibble
2012-03-23, 03:19 PM
For lunch today I had a pizza with spinach, tomato slices, and ricotta. It scratched me right where I itched.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-23, 03:24 PM
To be honest, bacon 'crust' sounds too noisy in a flavour sense.
It would be like painting on a bright pink piece of paper in watercolours, it's just going to glare through.

Morbis Meh
2012-03-23, 03:33 PM
I'm kinda stumped by the mechanics of this..but it sounds yummy

She weaved the bacon into a square then baked it before adding the remaining ingredients.

To be honest, bacon 'crust' sounds too noisy in a flavour sense.
It would be like painting on a bright pink piece of paper in watercolours, it's just going to glare through.

I am of that opinion as well, the bacon would have to be reasonably crispy to hold toppings and to me the longer you cook bacon the saltier it gets... She also put more meat on top of it I think adding ingredients with a higher acidity content would cut down the salt taste and improve the flavor.

Coidzor
2012-03-23, 03:40 PM
I've heard good things about ricotta in between the layers of dough that make up the crust to make a "stuffed crust" pizza where the entire crust is stuffed.

factotum
2012-03-24, 12:49 AM
I think adding ingredients with a higher acidity content would cut down the salt taste and improve the flavor.

You mean, kind of like pineapple? :smallsmile:

dehro
2012-03-24, 04:43 AM
I've heard good things about ricotta in between the layers of dough that make up the crust to make a "stuffed crust" pizza where the entire crust is stuffed.

isn't that a quiche or a pie?
the proper layout for a pizza is, bottom to top: dough, mozzarella and/or tomato, toppings.
occasionally you can get dough, mozzarella/and or tomato, toppings, mozzarella and/or tomato, dough. that's called a calzone and is a pizza folded once.
anything different, you may call it pizza but it just isn't. it's a quiche, a lasagna, timballo, pie or a cake.

Coidzor
2012-03-24, 11:52 AM
isn't that a quiche or a pie?

You don't know what a quiche is? :smallconfused:

H Birchgrove
2012-03-24, 12:22 PM
Turnipland?

Nickname for Sweden.

Swedes are people from Sweden, but also a type of turnip.

dehro
2012-03-24, 01:28 PM
You don't know what a quiche is? :smallconfused:

I know what a pizza is, and what you described ain't it :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2012-03-24, 02:30 PM
I know what a pizza is, and what you described ain't it :smalltongue:

Then I suggest you google the definition of quiche if you do not know what a quiche is.

dehro
2012-03-24, 04:58 PM
Then I suggest you google the definition of quiche if you do not know what a quiche is.

I've had a good quiche a week ago... I said quiche on purpose..to put into perspective how far removed from pizza what you described is... it's about as far removed as it is removed from quiche.

Coidzor
2012-03-24, 07:51 PM
I've had a good quiche a week ago... I said quiche on purpose..to put into perspective how far removed from pizza what you described is... it's about as far removed as it is removed from quiche.

No, it really isn't. Modifying the basic idea of what a pizza is very slightly puts it closer to pizza than to a quiche which is completely different.

If you want to use hyperbole, then you need to actually phrase your statements correctly, otherwise you just make yourself look like you don't know what a quiche is, as happened here today.

Tirian
2012-03-26, 09:43 AM

The best pizza I have ever had in my life is Zachary's in Berkeley. They start with the Chicago deep dish concept, but fill the dish about three quarters high, add a thin second crust, and fill the dish with more tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.

If that doesn't sound like a pizza to someone, it's because you haven't tried it yet. Jump in a car or an airplane and thank me afterwards. I recommend the Good Health Pizza, which is chicken breast, spinach, and reduced fat mozzerella on a whole wheat crust.

(To tie this back to the OP, notice that there is a lot of acceptable variety that thoughtful people can apply to pizza. The only thing that you cannot ever ever do ever is put a citrus fruit on a pizza. Why? Because, that's why.)