PDA

View Full Version : Feats for 10th level Wizard in the Game ToEE

Lapys
2012-03-13, 08:33 PM
So I just recently picked up the Temple of Elemental Evil video game from GOG, and I created my party and am getting along nicely with the nice people of the first town and running all their errands for them.

If you don't know, the game is 3.5e rules (as far as I've read and seen) and has a 10th level cap. Although there are a few differences with the ruleset, the biggest I can see is that you do NOT receive bonus spells from modifiers (such as Wizards with Int modifiers--and no, I didn't know this before I rolled a Wizard instead of a Sorcerer). As far as I know, there are no prestige classes, and no access to any supplementary material, of course. I suppose you can consider it bare bones Core (PHB, MM, DMG).

The group is comprised of: Paladin, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard, Bard. I wasn't going for broken party makeup, just an interesting first play through with a group that would be both difficult because of their different limitations as well as interesting and varied.

I envisioned the Elf Wizard as a control/support/moderate damage dealer. She is not specialized in any schools, and her first feat taken was Improved Initiative. I took it mostly because I: 1) don't know the encounters; 2) when traveling you may be ambushed along the road and the enemies can appear literally right next to you; and 3) because with more initiative I can more capably put her into a "buff the party closer to the outset of the battle."

Does anyone have any suggestions for the rest of her feats? Remember that she is an Elf Wizard, who will not go beyond level 10. Any recommendations for anything for the rest of the party? Thanks!

P.S. So far, it's a pretty neat little game, if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

Thurbane
2012-03-13, 08:50 PM
LOOOVE the ToEE computer game - I couldn't even count how many times I played it through.

Quicken spell is nice as a level 10 bonus feat for a Wizard.

You should definitely be getting bonus spells for ability scores - ToEE is known to have quite a few glitches though. Most people recommend you only install official patches 1 and 2 - the 3rd official patch generally causes more issues then it solves.

Also, I'd recommend checking out the Circle of Eight mod pack for ToEE. It improves gameplay (enemies will often fight more intelligently, especially in some pre set encounters), and also adds a whole lot of extra side quests etc.

I believe there is also a user made Keep on the Borderlands expansion made to run using the ToEE engine.

Torq
2012-03-13, 08:54 PM
Also, I'd recommend checking out the Circle of Eight mod pack for ToEE. It improves gameplay (enemies will often fight more intelligently, especially in some pre set encounters), and also adds a whole lot of extra side quests etc.

I also removes the level cap and fixes some crafting bugs.

I found that the first time I played through, I hit 10th level way before the end of the game. I think the Co8 makes it 20, though I don't remember ever going over 14.

Thurbane
2012-03-13, 08:58 PM
I found that the first time I played through, I hit 10th level way before the end of the game. I think the Co8 makes it 20, though I don't remember ever going over 14.
Same here.

In a way, I didn't like the removal of the level cap, as it made the end boss fights a little too easy.

Lapys
2012-03-13, 09:08 PM
Oh really now? I was wondering. I hit the internet as soon as I saw that I was not receiving bonus spells, and some people seemed to indicate that it wasn't a glitch, but simply how the game was designed. Which confused me a bit, since, especially in a scenario designed for levels 1-10, it makes the Sorcerer seem like a much nicer choice than the Wizard if only because he will actually be able to cast more often.

I'll definitely check out the patches; I had just assumed it was already patched since I got it from GOG. I'll be sure to find out though. And thanks for the mod idea, though I'll probably play it through on Normal and Ironman Mode before I try it out.

TheTick
2012-03-14, 08:18 AM
I know the Circle of Eight site has stuff specifically about the GoG version of ToEE - I think it does already have the patches applied...believe their site says it comes 'ready for the Co8 mods'. But I'd check to be safe.

I just recently started a new playthrough with the newest mods, though I'm getting my ass handed to me in the big battle at the end of the Moathouse. I stink. :D