PDA

View Full Version : Battle Caster feat

ManicMonky
2012-03-13, 10:37 PM
Hello, I've been looking at the Battle Caster feat from Complete Arcane and was wondering if anyone has any clarification to this rule. The way I understand it, it allows me to wear armor one category higher than normal and not worry about arcane spell failure. Does this mean, as a wizard, I could wear light armor with no penalty then? This would assume that I used a feat to gain the armor proficiency or gained proficiency from another class.

Petey7
2012-03-13, 10:50 PM
Based on the prerequisites, no. It specifically states that you must have the ability to ignore arcane spell failure chance already. I assume that this feat was made with classes like Warmage and Hexblade in mind.

EDIT: The prerequisite is listed on page 74 btw.

Morph Bark
2012-03-14, 07:53 AM
Based on the prerequisites, no. It specifically states that you must have the ability to ignore arcane spell failure chance already. I assume that this feat was made with classes like Warmage and Hexblade in mind.

EDIT: The prerequisite is listed on page 74 btw.

Does it allow percentile spell failure chance rather than just "ignore ASF for light armor" or such? Because then you could take a dip in Spellsword and get that.

CigarPete
2012-03-14, 08:16 AM
Does it allow percentile spell failure chance rather than just "ignore ASF for light armor" or such? Because then you could take a dip in Spellsword and get that.

They are handled differently though, the Spellsword ignores a percentage of ASF, whereas the feat gives an armor category. To combine them, your DM would have to rule that the feat gives a percentage increase or the Spellsword ability gives a class of armor. Worth asking if it would work though.

ManicMonky
2012-03-14, 08:19 AM
Ok, thanks for the help! I was just interpreting the rules such that as a wizard I don't have ASF with no armor and this potentially could boost to light armor. I will look at the other classes you suggested as well.

Overall I'm looking at playing a mystic theurge cleric 3/wizard 3, but one of the other classes might work too.

EDIT: I feel as though I should mention I'm playing the cleric variant from Complete Mage that allows me to counterspell by giving up turn undead. I'm going for more of a 'screw with the enemy'/'buff the party' kind of character with a few offensive spells. ECL is 7 with no LA (playing human).

eggs
2012-03-14, 09:43 AM
Cleric 3/Wizard 2/Urban Savant 1/Mystic Theurge X would do the trick.
Battlecaster would bump the armor use up to medium for Mithril Fullplate or whatever.

Edit:
Or Cleric 3/Wizard 2/Runecaster 1/Mystic Theurge X to totally ignore ASF, if you're a dwarf.