PDA

View Full Version : Walker in the Waste Optimization

un_known
2012-03-13, 10:57 PM
Okay so I'm building a PC that is going from Cleric to Walker in the Wastes and I want to know all the tricks that you guys can think up, I'm thinking about going Ur-Priest after Walker but I want to knwo from an optimization standpoint what would be the best options and builds.

I have already read this:
/Walker in the Waste Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869746/Walker_in_the_Waste_Handbook)

So what can you guys throw at me?

Tvtyrant
2012-03-13, 11:06 PM
You are immune to stun, so Born of the Three Thunders becomes amazing.

IGNORE ME

Varil
2012-03-13, 11:14 PM
Daze isn't stun, unfortunately, and works normally on undead. The most definite example of this is in the Archivist's Dread Secret ability, which mentions that you can choose to daze a creature instead of stun them, and cites undead as an example of why you would choose to do so.

DementedFellow
2012-03-13, 11:26 PM
My advice, stay away from clerical magic altogether and go in as sorcerer. It takes a LOT of feats, but by the time you can actually get into the PrC it will all even out. Besides Unholy Toughness + ungodly charisma = good times.

Red_Dog
2012-03-13, 11:33 PM
My advice, stay away from clerical magic altogether and go in as sorcerer. It takes a LOT of feats, but by the time you can actually get into the PrC it will all even out. Besides Unholy Toughness + ungodly charisma = good times.

Why not give a Favorite Soul a chance than? Charisma gives more spells. Yes its not you average SADness but hey, its something. Also makes for a Kewl character that was "chosen by the wastes themselves to forever wonder them between death and life" and etc. etc.

Just my few thoughts ^^

Mystify
2012-03-13, 11:36 PM
Why not give a Favorite Soul a chance than? Charisma gives more spells. Yes its not you average SADness but hey, its something. Also makes for a Kewl character that was "chosen by the wastes themselves to forever wonder them between death and life" and etc. etc.

Just my few thoughts ^^
But... But.... then they'll never get their level 19 wings...

Red_Dog
2012-03-13, 11:50 PM
But... But.... then they'll never get their level 19 wings...

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/2/24/I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Hehehehe... well they can always just play dragon shaman for those! ^^

Calanon
2012-03-13, 11:54 PM
Can an Ur-Priest use the Domain spells? If so then an Ur-Priest can become a Walker of the Waste :smalltongue:

Suddo
2012-03-14, 12:22 AM
Can an Ur-Priest use the Domain spells? If so then an Ur-Priest can become a Walker of the Waste :smalltongue:

I don't believe so I think it falls under the you lose all divine spellcasting.

Oh wait:
Arcane Discipline + Alternate Spellsource could work but Arcane Discipline kind breaks the whole Ur-Pirest thing.

Calanon
2012-03-14, 12:24 AM
I don't believe so I think it falls under the you lose all divine spellcasting.

Oh wait:
Arcane Discipline + Alternate Spellsource could work but Arcane Discipline kind breaks the whole Ur-Pirest thing.

No i mean Ur-Priest says you can cast any spell a Cleric can cast and a Cleric can cast Domain spells, does this mean an Ur-Priest can cast Domain spells?

eggs
2012-03-14, 12:35 AM
Walker in the Waste doesn't have a whole lot of special features to distinguish it from another Cleric, aside from the lost CL.

What might be interesting is using it for a Lord of the Uttercold-based reanimater/blaster.

As for general thoughts on using the class efficiently:

The template's eventual Charisma rewards would promote a Charisma-heavy Cleric, which typically means DMM in the most abusive form you can stomach.

Some fear-stacking effects like Dreadful Wrath or fear-based spell selection could work nicely with the Dry Lich's aura.

Sand Golems are pretty cheap for Huge/Gargantuan Golems. I've been fiddling with a Golem-possession build lately that could make good use of one of those. That would be enormously circumstantial, though.

EDIT

No i mean Ur-Priest says you can cast any spell a Cleric can cast and a Cleric can cast Domain spells, does this mean an Ur-Priest can cast Domain spells?
No.
But Dessicate, Haboob and Black Sand on the Cleric list mean an Ur-Priest can enter Walker, regardless.

un_known
2012-03-14, 01:20 PM
Hmm I hadn't thought about Favoured Soul and I would really rather not use a Sorcerer.

Now I really hadn't thought about using an Uttercold type. Probably because it doesn't thematically fit with the class....

Possession build.... Tell me more....

Oh and for DMM abuse... I find it... lovely.

eggs
2012-03-14, 03:28 PM
Now I really hadn't thought about using an Uttercold type. Probably because it doesn't thematically fit with the class....
Fair enough.

The goal with the possession build is mostly to possess a Golem body to use as the base for a melee-build. This would provide a variety of added benefits, such as size and stat increases, cheap DR, lots of immunities including immunity to any SR: Yes spell effect. The easiest way to do that is with a Divine Magician Cleric/Dweomerkeeper for Supernatural Magic Jar and all the tasty SR-free Cleric self-buffs. The biggest constraint I'm facing is a heavy reliance on gp to build the golems in the first place, as well as being too feat-strapped to crank the price down. Walker is somewhat interesting in that regard because it skips the three-feat price tag on Craft Construct, and the Golems it gets are Huge and have pretty niche spell vulnerabilities, but they have the price tag of a Large construct. The cost is still non-negligible for a character who's not focused on that sort of thing, but it's a benefit of WitW that I'd overlooked before now.

For DMM Hijinks, just take your pick of DMM: Persist, Twin, or Irresistible. Add Residual Metamagic for the latter two. Persist has dozens of threads on how to use, Irresistable is pretty straightforward in its abusiveness and Twin just means picking the nastiest offensive spells you can find - especially spells that stack or increase vulnerability to themselves, like Fear or Enervation.