PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Combat Question

DJ_Lycos
2012-03-13, 11:16 PM
I just want to know if someone attacking you while mounted do they have to specify if they are attacking you or your mount? Or do they have to go after your mount first?

Soranar
2012-03-14, 01:32 AM
Since you occupy the same square as your mount, any attacker in range has the option to target you or it.

Whoever, certain feats permit you from getting cover from a creature sharing a square with you, or vice versa, so you can, potentially, prevent any would be attacker from choosing.

Darrin
2012-03-14, 06:33 AM
I just want to know if someone attacking you while mounted do they have to specify if they are attacking you or your mount? Or do they have to go after your mount first?

Your opponent can attack either you or your mount, but they have to declare a target when the attack roll is made.

If the rider gets attacked, he has the option to react immediately to use his mount as cover, per the rules for the Ride skill. The rider makes a DC 15 Ride check. If successful, he gains a +4 cover bonus to his AC. There are some quirks to this, however... oddly enough, although the mount is being used as cover, it never takes any damage (even if the attack would conceivably "hit" the portion of the mount being used as cover). Also, the Ride skill says you can't attack or cast spells while using your mount as cover... however, it doesn't specify when this restriction applies/expires, such as on the current round or on your next turn (I imagine it was supposed to work like a tower shield, but it appears the mounted combat rules were never seriously playtested).

If the mount gets attacked and the rider has the Mounted Combat feat, then once per round the rider has the option to make a Ride check to negate the hit. (Note: got a Psicrystal or an improved familiar that can take/retrain feats? Have it take Mounted Combat and "ride" you so it can negate one attack per round. Or wear a Battle Bridle from the MIC.)