PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PEACH]Yet another skill set

Cicciograna
2012-03-14, 07:00 AM
I have been working on an alternative skill set, rolling some skills into others. Tell me what you think about it.

Acrobatics (merges Balance, Escape artist, Tumble)
Arts & Crafts (merges Appraise, Craft, Profession, with a -4 penality to Appraise checks if the field of knowledge is not pertinent)
Athletics (merges Climb, Jump, Swim)
Autohypnosis
Bluff (merges Bluff, Sense Motive)
Concentration
Diplomacy (merges Diplomacy, Gather Information)
Disguise
Forgery
Handle Animals
Heal
Intimidate
Knowledge
Martial Lore
Mechanical Devices (merges Disable Devices, Open Locks)
Perception (merges Listen, Search, Spot)
Perform
Psicraft
Ride
Sleight of Hand
Speak Language
Spellcraft
Stealth (merges Hide, Move Silently)
Survival (merges Survival and Use Rope)
Use Supernatural Device (merges Use Magic/Psionic Device)

If a class was proficient in at least one of the condensed skills, she gains proficiency in the new skill altogether (ex., Spot and Listen are class skills for Druids, but not Search: since the three skills have been rolled into Perception, this skill is now class skill for the Druid).

I was thinking to grant an extra 2 skill points at every level to each class (+3 for Humans), usually multiplied by 4 at 1st level.

PEACH.

Halberd
2012-03-14, 05:25 PM
I think this is a good skill set, a bit similar to 4th edition, but more specific. A good balance between the staggeringly huge number from 3.5 and the 4th edition (not enough). I'm not sure if I like the changes at the bottom. If there are less things to choose from you give them less points, not more, since the skills are broader, (better).

Siosilvar
2012-03-14, 06:57 PM
I think this is a good skill set, a bit similar to 4th edition, but more specific. A good balance between the staggeringly huge number from 3.5 and the 4th edition (not enough). I'm not sure if I like the changes at the bottom. If there are less things to choose from you give them less points, not more, since the skills are broader, (better).

The thing is, though, that +2 skills per level above baseline is still only 4 to 15 (assuming a Human Rogue with 18 int) of those skills. I think it's not unreasonable that a rogue at the limit of typical human learning can max out 3/5 of those skills. Heck, here's a list of these new condensed skills that you can image a typical noble-born swashbuckler using all the time:

Acrobatics (merges Balance, Escape artist, Tumble)
Arts & Crafts [one] (merges Appraise, Craft, Profession, with a -4 penality to Appraise checks if the field of knowledge is not pertinent)
Athletics (merges Climb, Jump, Swim)
Bluff (merges Bluff, Sense Motive)
Diplomacy (merges Diplomacy, Gather Information)
Disguise
Forgery
Knowledge [any two - take Nobility & Royalty, which probably ought to be combined with History, and one other]
Martial Lore
Mechanical Devices (merges Disable Devices, Open Locks)
Perception (merges Listen, Search, Spot)
Perform [one]
Sleight of Hand
Stealth (merges Hide, Move Silently)

I count 15 on that list. By day, s/he's an accomplish noble, with a working knowledge of the arts, swordplay, and the court, all as expected for someone of their high class. At night, s/he epitomizes the burglar-acrobat, Wesley, Zorro, even Batman.

So no, it's not unreasonable to give characters so many skill points.

EDIT: Another example. 13-int Fighter would have 6 skill points (if human). Martial Lore, Athletics, Perception, Intimidate, Ride, and one Knowledge.