PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Creation Help

Silveron
2012-03-14, 09:35 AM
I just started playing D&D again after not playing since 3.0 just came out.

In the new 3.5 game group I just started playing I am joining them at 5th and they each have exotic mounts and magic items to shrink there mounts to take them along with them into caves and dungeons as well. Some even have the mounts fight with them as well.

I really do not wish to go thru all this expence to have an exotic mount trained, lose 10% of my exp to my mount, and worry about them getting killed or anything else as they are doing.

So I had the idea to have made for me a Silver horse figure that does the 3rd level wiz spell Phanton Steed 5x a day. Cast level = to user. So I get the boosts to the spell as I get higher as well.

I have 0 books to reference. Can you please give me the step by step formula on how I would get market cost to buy? Please keep it simple as possible as I said I have not played in a long time.

Oh and if there is an item that already does exactly this let me know lol.

Big Fau
2012-03-14, 10:13 AM
They may just be using a Figurine of Wondrous Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bronzeGriffon). Also, having a mount does not subtract 10% of your XP.

As for an actual magic item: A Staff with Phantom Steed as one of the spells will do the trick if you either are a spellcaster yourself or if you have a high enough UMD check. Could be expensive though, as Staves are overpriced to all hell and back.

Second, an alternative could be the Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat. If it is killed, you may be able to replace it for free the way a Druid or Ranger can.

Telonius
2012-03-14, 10:16 AM
I just started playing D&D again after not playing since 3.0 just came out.

In the new 3.5 game group I just started playing I am joining them at 5th and they each have exotic mounts and magic items to shrink there mounts to take them along with them into caves and dungeons as well. Some even have the mounts fight with them as well.

I really do not wish to go thru all this expence to have an exotic mount trained, lose 10% of my exp to my mount, and worry about them getting killed or anything else as they are doing.

So I had the idea to have made for me a Silver horse figure that does the 3rd level wiz spell Phanton Steed 5x a day. Cast level = to user. So I get the boosts to the spell as I get higher as well.

I have 0 books to reference. Can you please give me the step by step formula on how I would get market cost to buy? Please keep it simple as possible as I said I have not played in a long time.

Oh and if there is an item that already does exactly this let me know lol.

The only way to scale the spell level to your level is to make the thing into a Staff. This can get very expensive, since it only has 50 charges. The base cost would be 375gp * 3 (highest-level spell) * 12 (level of the caster required to create the staff) = 13,500.

If you were just going to make a Wand of Phantom Steed, it's 11,250. Same number of charges, and it doesn't scale.

If you're trying to make a 5/day Magic Item out of it, that's significantly more powerful, but the bonuses are static when it's made. On the other hand, it never runs out. (For your reference, the rules and cost guidelines for creating magic items are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)).

The thing would probably be Command Word-activated. So the base cost would be Spell Level (Phantom Steed is 3rd) times Caster Level (more on that in a minute) times 1800 gp. Since it's uses per day, divide the result by (5/uses per day). Since you're going for 5 uses, that results in 1, so no special modification.

So, you're looking at a base price of 3*1800*Caster Level = 5400*caster level.

The minimum level for being able to use the spell is Wizard5, so 5 is the minimum caster level you can make the item. That will give you the very basic Phantom Steed. But if you want to give them the other Phantom Steed abilities, the caster level and the price will have to increase.

Basic: 5400*5 = 27000gp
Runs over muddy ground without stopping: 5400*8 = 43,200
Water Walk: 5400*10 = 54,000
Air Walk: 5400*12= 64,800
Fly: 5400*14= 75,600

I will say that a lot of the price is tied up in the large number of uses per day. If you cut it down to 3/day, you'd get a 40% discount on the price.

Technically, there are a few other things you could do to further lower the price. Make it only usable by people of your alignment (30% discount) or requiring ranks in the Ride skill (10% discount). Whether or not that would be allowed, is completely up to the DM; most people I know would not allow it.

Silveron
2012-03-14, 04:12 PM
Big Fau - They are not useing a magic item. Its some stuff from Arms and Equip Guide and a D20 book about mounts, the loseing 10% exp to level up mounts, thus they are stronger and can fight with them.

Telonius - Thank you!!!! Thats exactly the info I was looking for. You were a great help. I may just go with basic cause its lower cost. That is my main reason for all this I do not want to spend the gold on some elaborate mount that might end up costing more then this would. So will have to go over prices.

Does anyone know of any other magic items that might help with this too. Items that will let me move really fast or fly, several times a day, for a long amount of time????

Telonius
2012-03-14, 07:19 PM
Let's see. Winged Boots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsWinged) give you the fly spell for five minutes, 3 times a day. They cost 16,000gp.

Broom of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#broomofFlying) gives Overland Flight for 9 hours/day, and costs 17,000.

Boots of Speed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSpeed) give you the Haste spell for up to 10 rounds/day.

Then of course you can always get scrolls of Haste, Flight, etc. Fly is a 3rd-level spell, so you can put it into a Wand if you need to. (Wands are usually the cheaper option if you're using a spell really often). And of course if you're playing a spellcaster, you can just cast those spells when you need them.

What class were you going to be playing? It's possible we could get you something through spells, feats, or class features, depending on what your build is.

graeylin
2012-03-14, 11:58 PM
don't forget the eternal wand.. pricey, but twice a day, forever.

Silveron
2012-03-15, 07:16 AM
I am a half-elf rogue, next level I might go shadowdancer or take wizard next level and go archane trickster later on.

So far the broom is looking best but still OUCH on the cost.

As much as I have no deside to I might have to go with a dire bat that will cost me like 1350 gold and get a shrink collar that cost 10,000 gold. Then I will get to carry my bat around shrunk to 3ft tall on my backpack into dungeons... just lovely....