PDA

View Full Version : A MASSively EFFECTive world [PEACH]

Sir_Mopalot
2012-03-14, 11:22 AM
So I've been kicking around ideas for a game I've wanted to start for a while in the old fashioned "hexploration" genre, essentially a sandbox with a hex-based world map that the players will run around, adventure in, and explore, with the ruins, secret lairs, and so on placed ahead of time. I'm working up random enounter tables based on ranges of CRs, which will then be applied to different regions of the map (I.e. right outside a city adventuring is pretty safe because the city guard keep anything too big from forming, you might find kobolds or goblins running around, but a level one party isn't going to get wiped by an army of ogres within sight of the city gates. Unless the city is invaded). The deepest problem with this is that Dawn of Worlds (http://www.clanwebsite.org/games/rpg/Dawn_of_Worlds_game_1_0Final.pdf), the collaborative world building I prefer, doesn't work because if the players were there to generate the history of the ancient civilizations, they'll have a much better idea of where to look for their ruins, and I can't trust my group to not use that OOC knowledge. So I needed enough inspiration to come up with a world all by myself. So I did what all great artists do, and stole. I'm creating a campaign world based on the Mass Effect series of video games, translated (very roughly) into a fantasy setting.

The highlights of the world, as a result:

There is a massive city called Bastion at the center of the transportation network. It was left behind by a mysterious race that came before all known races, and far surpassed the known races in magical and mundane artifice
A race of militarized, warlike Orcs were crippled thanks to them and their homelands being cut-off from magic. Unbeknownst to them, this was done by another one of the races. Note that these are not the savage, chaotic orcs typical of D&D, and in fact I'm drawing on what little I know of feudal Japan to design their culture.
Praetorian (the race that came before) ruins are spread around the map, rare, but containing some of the most potent treasures and arcane secrets. Astute explorers will detect references to an even older race of invaders who to all appearances are responsible for the Praetorian's disappearance.
All the races live within a certain radius of the Bastion, because a tower within it appears to be the source of all magic in the world, and it is this magic that has given the civilized races the edge necessary to not be eaten by monsters.
A race of cold-attuned human like beings lived in a great city in the north, but created a race of sapient golems who (it is believed) turned on them and forced them from their home, and they now live in a massive caravan.

The Valanar (Salarians), Elves (Asari), and Dwarves (Turians) all exist and have cities on the map.

So have I made any massive blunders from this (fairly short) summary? If you have knowledge of the game series, am I missing anything that you think is critical to the world?

Landis963
2012-03-14, 02:06 PM
First off: Holy double post, Batman!

Second off: Do you want to continue in your fine tradition of stealing from better writers, and add in some blood magic too? (This is a mostly serious question, and it might provide some conflict if it is banned in Bastion but the enemies use it often)

third off: I'd like to know a bit more about the transport network. Portals? Teleportation enchantments? Magic Slingshots? Is there a Reapers twist? Tell me there isn't a Reapers twist. Because if there is, it's not just playful "Inspired by" stealing, it's wholesale copying of Mass Effect's plot. Also, the quarian analogues might not be entirely necessary.

EDIT: As to your actual question: no I can't see any major blunders, although adhering too closely to Mass Effect's plot might tip off any genre-savvy players.

Generation83
2012-03-15, 02:02 AM
That was alot of negativity from above =(

I actuelly wanted to know if you had a twist to bring back the reappers(praetorians)? Tbh as long as you keep quit with where you got the idea I don't even think the pc's will guess it is a mass effect rip off. When you know it, it is easy to see. If you don't know then it is extremly hard to see.

Enough blabbering from me. Show me some moar.

radmelon
2012-03-15, 02:10 AM
Interesting idea, but I must confess I know absolutely nothing about mass effect. I will be watching this, however. Putting a sci-fi plot into a fantasy setting is a brilliant idea.

Milo v3
2012-03-15, 02:22 AM
Landis963 that was too harsh. Firstly he isn't copying it word for word. He is using it as a template and as far as I can tell a way to help him get inspiration.

He even said how it would be a rough translastion. Which means it wont be Mass Effect. It is similar to Mass Effect but it won't be a direct translation.

As for the actual info in the OP. I like it. But I am confused about the orcs who are they based off or are they your own flavour?

Larkas
2012-03-20, 12:42 PM
The idea is, indeed, very nice. If you want your players to NOT know about the underlying Mass Effect theme, just remember to NOT make the Elves a wholly female race :smallbiggrin: Not a problem with the prospect of half-elves not existing, though (i.e.: children of elves and other races will always be elves).

About the orcs, I always pictured the Krogan as somewhat orc-like, but, unlike you, very chaotic in nature, which means no "feudal Japan" theme. If you want to go that way, why not try hobgoblins?

Also, go crazy and make Rachni formians XD

About the Reapers theme, I don't really like them, but you might be able to make them inevitable-like if you want to pursue that.

Lastly, don't let Landis963's negativity get to you. I mean, seriously, what is the Citadel, more specifically the Presidium, if not a "rip off" of Sigil? I'm pretty sure the Citadel was in some way based on Sigil (let's not forget BioWare made AD&D classics, and while Planescape: Torment is Black Isle's, you can't discount the fact that BW's writers possibly experienced some of it's story), and that's not a problem in and of itself. The point here is: if you want to base your story on an adapted version of a world you like, it's all good! Just don't forget it might pay to come up with stuff, however minor, to differentiate the two worlds. You will feel your mark is there, and your players will be even more clueless to the "base" world :smallsmile: