PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Teleporting with Anticipate Teleport on

Keld Denar
2012-03-14, 12:57 PM
So, an interesting question came up during planning for a high level high power game. How does Anticipate Teleport work if the origionator of the AT effect teleports along with the Teleporter.

Example: Victor the Wizard is hanging out, fighting some dudes with his buddies Joe and Fred. Joe the Gish has Anticipate Teleport up. Victor doesn't like the way his allies are arranged so he casts Dimension Hop to allow himself, Joe, and Fred the Fighter to all teleport instantly up to their movement speed. Victor disappears into the astral plane at the exact instant that Joe and Fred do. Then, instantaneously, Victor, Joe, and Fred emerge at a slightly altered location.

Are Fred and Victor affected by Joe's AT spell? Is Joe affected by his own AT spell since Victor teleported him? Or are none affected because the AT spell travels with Joe, who disappears and reappears at exactly the same time as the others (and the AT wouldn't affect anyone while Joe is astral).

Andion Isurand
2012-03-14, 01:05 PM
sounds like you should start a poll... how do you do that on this site anyway?

Flickerdart
2012-03-14, 01:43 PM
sounds like you should start a poll... how do you do that on this site anyway?
You can't.

To me, it seems that the entire party is suspended in the Astral for 1 round, because the Dimension Hop fulfills the condition (teleport targeted in the area).

MesiDoomstalker
2012-03-14, 02:09 PM
You can't.

To me, it seems that the entire party is suspended in the Astral for 1 round, because the Dimension Hop fulfills the condition (teleport targeted in the area).

That still seems to be beneficial. A round of respite where the enemies probably have no idea why you disappeared. Plus you'll probably get a suprise round when you come back.

Flickerdart
2012-03-14, 02:12 PM
That still seems to be beneficial. A round of respite where the enemies probably have no idea why you disappeared. Plus you'll probably get a suprise round when you come back.
Why would you get a surprise round? Combat is still raging. This is just a crappier version of Time Hop.

Shadowknight12
2012-03-14, 02:22 PM
The spell has no effect on creatures attempting to teleport away from the spell’s area, although if their destination is within the area, the spell will affect their reentry as normal.

The area is gone by the time the "reentry" would take place (because the caster was teleported away), so no delay would occur. If the teleporter had teleported away without taking the caster with him, the delay would occur normally, even if it's from an ally.

Keld Denar
2012-03-14, 02:37 PM
That's what I'm more leaning toward. The AT effect is centered on the person, not the area. Thus, the AT effect disappears when the person its cast on disappears, and reappears in the exact same instant (not before, not after) as the person emanating the effect.

Shadowknight12
2012-03-14, 02:57 PM
That's what I'm more leaning toward. The AT effect is centered on the person, not the area. Thus, the AT effect disappears when the person its cast on disappears, and reappears in the exact same instant (not before, not after) as the person emanating the effect.

It's an emanation, so it is indeed a personal effect that travels with the person, not an area effect.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-03-14, 03:37 PM
Why would you get a surprise round? Combat is still raging. This is just a crappier version of Time Hop.

Assuming it doesn't work how its supposed too (stalling the party in the astral plane) and that all of your allies are teleported and stalled, the enemy will see you just dissappear. Unless they made the right knowledge or spellcraft check, they won't know exactly what happened and as far as they know you teleported away. And bam! your back in the fight. Its at least 6 seconds of "where did they go? What happened?"

But it doesn't matter, as thats not how the spells will interact.

dextercorvia
2012-03-14, 03:45 PM
My favorite Anticipate Teleport question: What happens when you cast Dimensional Lock in response to your AT delaying someone trying to teleport in?

Andion Isurand
2012-03-14, 03:51 PM
...Or activating a Weirdstone during the delay?

Shadowknight12
2012-03-14, 03:53 PM
My favorite Anticipate Teleport question: What happens when you cast Dimensional Lock in response to your AT delaying someone trying to teleport in?

A dimensional lock does not interfere with the movement of creatures already in ethereal or astral form when the spell is cast

It's too late to stop the teleportation, but Dimensional Lock prevents them from teleporting away if they so desire.

Phaederkiel
2012-03-14, 07:55 PM
Looking at AT, it seems that the delay gets on the stack as soon as the Target area of the teleport is determined. Which means, that yes, if the teleporting destination is within the AT-caster's range, everyone phases out for a round. Great with abrupt jaunt.

Since this question is about unintended rule interactions, I rather think you will have to ask your dm. Mine went with the version above. It is Very difficult to really break, but it is really hilarious.