PDA

View Full Version : But I don't want to leave...

Jodah
2012-03-14, 05:05 PM
I am playing a character that is abusing the summon swarm/hivemind capability of the Vermin Lord class. I am playing the BBEG for the DM and obviously try to keep things in reason. I am currently using the swarm as the enemy and they have not yet met the VL, problem is they have discovered it was a summoning. As such they will likely end the encounter by trying to dismiss it (like the beat the previous swarm). I need to know how to be dismissal (and similar spell) proof without needing a DM fiat. Any suggestions?

prufock
2012-03-14, 05:20 PM
I am playing a character that is abusing the summon swarm/hivemind capability of the Vermin Lord class. I am playing the BBEG for the DM and obviously try to keep things in reason. I am currently using the swarm as the enemy and they have not yet met the VL, problem is they have discovered it was a summoning. As such they will likely end the encounter by trying to dismiss it (like the beat the previous swarm). I need to know how to be dismissal (and similar spell) proof without needing a DM fiat. Any suggestions?

Dimensional Anchor/Lock?

Hyudra
2012-03-14, 06:33 PM
Route I would suggest would be getting swarms from another source, mixing them up some.

Swarmshifter + Necropolitan template? On yourself or a flunky?

Have the swarm not get Dismissed, leave them holding back/wasting resources at the wrong times.

CheshireCatAW
2012-03-14, 07:02 PM
Consider softening them up with caged swarms that were not summoned? They might just use some of their anti-swarm Dismissals against the mundane swarm.

Rubik
2012-03-14, 07:25 PM
Either cast Planar Binding on yourself to call yourself to the Material Plane, or have a minion do it, or pay someone else to do it.

Then you'll be Called and won't have to worry about Dismissal et al.

Jodah
2012-03-14, 08:03 PM
Many thanks. I think I will use dimensional anchor, as it is plain, simple, and ends up lasting much longer than I will ever need, but is still an expendable "buff" (important since this swarm has no guarantee of survival). Hopefully, I have found a way of being a bit more menacing for the time being.