PDA

View Full Version : Tell me when (and how/if I should) to dip Warblade

Swiftest
2012-03-14, 07:15 PM
Greetings Playgrounders,

I've got a Changeling Barbarian 1 (Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy) Fighter 2 who is ready to level up to 4. I need one level of a +1 BAB class to take before I begin taking Warshaper at 5. I normally abhor Tome of Battle but I've seen it used interestingly so far in this campaign, so I thought I might add a little Warblade (or Crusader mayhaps) to my build to make it stronger or more durable with this one level.

Can you all please advise me on if this is a wise move (given other alternatives and the initiator level of 2.5 I would have) in your opinions and what maneuvers/stances to take?

I'll tell you a little more about my character to help. He's fairly min-maxed for damage with stats at 18, 12, 14, 10, 8, 8. He he wears full plate with a tower shield/flail as backup for his greatsword. I decided to build him as a fledgling ubercharger that never intends to go the whole route (would be too far beyond the party balance level). As such he's got Power Attack, Weapon Focus: Greatsword, Extra Rage, and Cleave. He already significantly outdamages the rest of the party. For this reason I would like to add some survivability and utility to his build with Warblade rather than purely increase my damage. I thought to accomplish this by throwing in some Iron Heart or Diamond Mind manuevers such as Moment of Perfect Mind to buff his will save (don't think I can use this during a rage) and/or Iron Heart Surge.

Would it be better to wait till I'd have initiator level 3 to take Warblade for Iron Heart Surge? Can I take it all in one level if I take another Iron Heart manuever first and thus meet the prereqs? Should I instead take it later with Martial Study? Other ideas? I definitely want to take Warshaper ASAP at 5+ unless there is a very compelling argument for holding off. One alternative to the Warblade level was to take Barbarian 2 and grab Wolf Totem Barbariant ACL for improved trip. This would be neato later when he has extra reach from Warshaper.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice? Keep in mind that I don't want to go the pure Ubercharger route even though I have a decent chassis for doing so. I'll probably never take Shock Trooper or Leap Attack.

P.S. In case it should be relevant, rest of party is a Rogue/CCleric/Warblade (White Raven), Archer-Ranger, summoning Druid, summoning Wizard, Sorc/Fighter, and an evoker type Psionicist. At any given time 4-5 of these are usually around.

eggs
2012-03-14, 07:26 PM
Would it be better to wait till I'd have initiator level 3 to take Warblade for Iron Heart Surge?
Quick note: You need Initiator level 5 for IHS. This is detailed in the "Blade Magic" section.

I'd probably invest at least 3 levels in warblade with this build. One for Moment of Perfect Mind (to compensate for levels in low-Will classes), Sudden Leap (useful for chargers to get positioned - especially Leap Attackers) and whatever Tiger Claw prerequisite is at hand (doesn't matter), one for Wall of Blades (to replace a charger's abysmal AC) and one for Iron Heart Surge (to keep from being blinded/exhausted/etc. out of a fight).

So that would look like 2 Warblade levels immediately and one delayed until IL 5.

Draz74
2012-03-14, 09:34 PM
Yeah, you're not going to be able to get Iron Heart Surge, unless you (1) delay your Warshaper progression, (2) use Martial Study (or a maneuver-granting magic item), or (3) get your character up to Level 11, so you can finish Warshaper and then take a second Warblade level.

You're also correct that Moment of Perfect Mind can't be used while Raging. That's ok, though, because with only 1 Barbarian level you won't be Raging every encounter anyway.

Wait until Level 5 to take your Warblade level. That way you can get Level 2 maneuvers, like Wall of Blades, which is an excellent defensive maneuver, and Mountain Hammer, which is great for out-of-combat utility (breaking stuff).

If you get Moment of Perfect Mind, Wall of Blades, and Mountain Hammer, you'll be in good shape. That still leaves a Stance choice open. You have a few choices that might fit what you've asked for:

Hunter's Sense - out-of-combat utility (Scent, which is a great substitute for Spot/Listen skills in some situations). Downside: you'll have to get a Tiger Claw maneuver as a prerequisite, which means giving up one of the maneuvers I listed above. And I don't think you'll be a big fan of any of your Tiger Claw options (they all have to do with dealing more damage).
Leading the Charge - this does increase your (charging) damage, but it also increases the damage of your teammates just as much (when they charge). That includes the Druid's summons. If your Rogue/Cleric/Warblade ally has the same stance, I'm not sure if the bonus stacks, though.
Bolstering Voice - Boosts your Will save by +2, as well as your allies' will saves. Does not stack with Moment of Perfect Mind, but can be used while Raging. Does not stack with anything that gives [morale] bonuses, such as the Heroism spell.