PDA

View Full Version : badge of valor, etc.

limejuicepowder
2012-03-14, 07:48 PM
The badge of valor and inspirational boost are both listed as easy ways to improve inspire courage; however, how can they both be used? I don't see any way to time it so they both work.

tyckspoon
2012-03-14, 07:50 PM
Inspirational Boost is a Swift that affects the next Inspire Courage. Badge is an Immediate that affects the Inspire Courage you just used. Works fine- the timing goes

Cast Inspirational boost (this turn's Swift)-> start Inspire Courage -> activate Badge (Immediate action, borrows next turn's Swift.)

Ernir
2012-03-14, 07:58 PM
Also, I see nothing in the Badge of Valor description indicating that it has to be activated immediately after you start performing. It's just usually better to do so early.

limejuicepowder
2012-03-14, 08:00 PM
ummm I don't think that actually works. Certainly not RAI -

From the SRD "Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn"

There is a clause for "borrowing" the next turn's swift action, but that would only apply when it's not your turn.

Unless someone has a compelling argument otherwise, I would rule against this as a DM.

limejuicepowder
2012-03-14, 08:02 PM
Also, I see nothing in the Badge of Valor description indicating that it has to be activated immediately after you start performing. It's just usually better to do so early.

This sounds much more legit

FMArthur
2012-03-14, 08:25 PM
You can always use an immediate action right after your turn ends. The rules on immediate actions very clearly state that an immediate action takes up your next turn's swift action when you use it outside your own turn.

FearlessGnome
2012-03-14, 08:26 PM
Swift action -> Standard Action -> End turn -> Immediate Action before anyone can do anything. Or just in response to something. Either way, it's on the first time it matters.

Ernir
2012-03-14, 08:27 PM
ummm I don't think that actually works. Certainly not RAI -

From the SRD "Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn"

There is a clause for "borrowing" the next turn's swift action, but that would only apply when it's not your turn.

Unless someone has a compelling argument otherwise, I would rule against this as a DM.

"Borrowing" next turn's swift just means you "wait" until it's no longer your turn, and then you use the immediate action.

Templarkommando
2012-03-14, 08:56 PM
What I'm thinking is that similar bonuses don't stack.

For example, you can't make inspire courage and bless stack because they are both morale bonuses, and for a similar reason I would rule that badge of valor and inspirational boost don't stack because they are similar bonuses as per the stacking bonuses rule on page 21 of the DMG.

I could see different DMs making different calls though based on what kind of game you're running and what your personal preferences are where gaming is concerned.

Flickerdart
2012-03-14, 09:24 PM
What I'm thinking is that similar bonuses don't stack.

For example, you can't make inspire courage and bless stack because they are both morale bonuses, and for a similar reason I would rule that badge of valor and inspirational boost don't stack because they are similar bonuses as per the stacking bonuses rule on page 21 of the DMG.

I could see different DMs making different calls though based on what kind of game you're running and what your personal preferences are where gaming is concerned.
They're unnamed bonuses from different sources. They stack better than Jenga.

Templarkommando
2012-03-14, 09:53 PM
They're unnamed bonuses from different sources. They stack better than Jenga.

Well, and like I said: I can see reasons why a DM would rule otherwise, and that happens to be one of the reasons I could see. However, I personally would rule that they don't stack.

Perhaps the biggest reason that I would rule this way is that - while the bonuses aren't named the same - the bonuses are so similar in what they do that I wouldn't feel greatly justified in allowing it to stack like that.

Also, the spell that gives badge of valor its ability is remove fear which provides its buff via a morale bonus. Inspirational boost adds +1 to the morale bonus on inspire courage, so I can still see a pretty good argument against allowing it to stack.

Flickerdart
2012-03-14, 10:10 PM
Perhaps the biggest reason that I would rule this way is that - while the bonuses aren't named the same - the bonuses are so similar in what they do that I wouldn't feel greatly justified in allowing it to stack like that.
It doesn't matter what they do. They are unnamed bonuses (not sacred or enhancement or what have you) from different sources. What you're arguing is like saying the bonuses from Charge and Flanking shouldn't stack because both are to-hit bonuses, or penalties from a Bestow Curse and being Sickened shouldn't stack, because they're penalties to the same things.

Also, arguing that they don't stack since one gives a bonus TO a morale bonus, and one has had a spell with a morale bonus used in its creation is...downright absurd. You could argue for practically anything that way.

Templarkommando
2012-03-14, 10:49 PM
It doesn't matter what they do. They are unnamed bonuses (not sacred or enhancement or what have you) from different sources. What you're arguing is like saying the bonuses from Charge and Flanking shouldn't stack because both are to-hit bonuses, or penalties from a Bestow Curse and being Sickened shouldn't stack, because they're penalties to the same things.

Also, arguing that they don't stack since one gives a bonus TO a morale bonus, and one has had a spell with a morale bonus used in its creation is...downright absurd. You could argue for practically anything that way.

I'm not looking to make this a big issue. It will suffice to say that I would rule a particular way, and you would rule differently. If the OP takes what I have to say, it will be because it fits his playstyle and if he takes what you have to say, he will take that for the same reason.

I suggest that we agree to disagree and make nothing more of this.

Flickerdart
2012-03-14, 10:55 PM
Eh, if you want to rule based on a deliberate and egregious misreading of the rules, then be my guest.

eggs
2012-03-14, 10:58 PM
I'm not looking to make this a big issue. It will suffice to say that I would rule a particular way, and you would rule differently. If the OP takes what I have to say, it will be because it fits his playstyle and if he takes what you have to say, he will take that for the same reason.
Even if all Fighters in my games automatically get my homebrewed Colossal Starving Goatman template, I'd sound like an idiot if I poked into a thread about dungeon-exploring fighters to say that Fighters can't explore dungeons (because they'd starve if they went 10 minutes without eating grass).