PDA

View Full Version : Temple of Elemental Evil Nostalgia

vhfforever
2012-03-14, 07:54 PM
Last Friday I decided to finally start a 2nd Edition game by running Village of Hommlett, and it was a laugh riot far different than the normal 3.5/4th Edition games we've all been used to.

4d6 Drop the Lowest, In order. You can take two points from one stat to add one point to another up to 17, and it takes three points to raise it to an 18 (before racial modifiers). And, surprisingly, they ended up as Paladin (13, 12, 15, 11, 13, 17) and Dwarf Fighter who does't speak Common (13, 13, 17, 7, 7, 6). I made them roll for 1st level hit points, and then after some slow cooled pulled pork sandwiched, the party got started.

They were broke and nearly destitute coming into Hommlett and quickly looking for work, and it didn't take them long to get suspicious of Zert and Turoko, then buddy up to Spugnoir and Elmo. A few promises later, a writ from the Church of St. Cuthbert that paid their stay at the Inn for a few nights (with promise of repayment when they start thumping on Bandits) ad they were on their way.

And let me tell you, I miss Second Edition. Every fight ended with one PC near death, and only Goodberries that were purchased from Jaroo kept one of them alive. The Dward was turned out by a Giant Frog, Giant Spider, Giant Snake, and a Bear...(he isn't good with the Fauna apparently)...ad the session ended with him at -1 from the scout bandits right outside the Black Room in the moathouse.

Friday after next the adventurers continue their expedition, and it's looking amazingly grim for them currently. I'm hoping to pick up another player or three before then, but even if not...the nostalgia pleasure is well worth the inevitably high death toll.:smallsmile:

hamlet
2012-03-15, 11:17 AM
Sounds like fun! Wish I could go through that module again.

Matthew
2012-03-16, 10:03 PM
Keep us informed! This module is one of the most controversial, so it is always interesting to read about the experience of others playing it.

vhfforever
2012-03-16, 10:28 PM
Well, considering I warned the players ahead of time that death /will/ happen, they went into it with the intent to have fun and so far with our first session that mission was accomplished. :) I'll keep this updated after we have our next game.