PDA

View Full Version : generic caster build

Azoth
2012-03-14, 09:31 PM
Okay, while searching through books looking for build ideas i refound the generic caster in Unearthed Arcana. I was wondering exactly how powerful this character can be since it functions like a sorcerer but has full access to sorc/wiz/druid/bard/cleric spell lists to pick spells known, can gain a familiar and turn undead as class features, gets to pick its one good save, picks its mental casting stat, and gains a bonus feat every 5 levels with no restriction other than meeting the prereqs. So playground how can this be abused and how can it be used safely/effectively?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-03-14, 09:36 PM
That class is meant to be used in a campaign where there are only three classes (the generic warrior, generic expert, and generic spellcaster).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm

If you use these generic classes, you shouldn't also use the standard character classes (or variants of those classes). You can still include prestige classes, if you wish to add that level of complexity to your game, but you may have to tweak some prestige class prerequisites that include class features not available to these classes.

As for abuse, a wizard can do better because the generic spellcaster learns spells like a sorcerer. For example, a wizard can just pick up summon monster sometime to gain access to divine spells by summoning outsiders with spell-like abilties, and he still has the rest of his spellbook to prepare from. I'm sure with ~three splatbooks you could make something broken, but that's true of any material.

Agent 451
2012-03-14, 10:54 PM
Could you not also use it to gain entry into PrC's that require dual sorc/wiz and cleric spell progression?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-03-14, 11:38 PM
Could you not also use it to gain entry into PrC's that require dual sorc/wiz and cleric spell progression?

No, you have to pick whether you're arcane or divine at first level.