PDA

View Full Version : Flux Adept (3.5 binder/dragonfire adept theurge) [PEACH]

eclipsic
2012-03-14, 10:30 PM
Flux Adept

Yes, I know you want to refer to Back to the Future really badly right now. Please don't.

I'm not in love with the name, but Pactbound Adept was already taken, and I just couldn't make a combination of Dragonfire Adept and Binder work to my satisfaction. "Flux Adept" came from happening across the word "conflux" while I was looking for synonyms for "event horizon". It was the least wanky name I've come up with so far.

A duel? Fine. I'll choose the weapons. I choose a piece of chalk. Here's yours. The fight starts in ten minutes. Don't be late.

Dragons are arguably the most powerful non-divine creatures in the realms, while vestiges are the weakest quasi-divine creatures. The juncture of opportunity where they meet is ripe for the mortal wishing for power beyond his ken, and this is from whence the Flux Adept harvests his might. Flux Adepts spend long hours studying ancient scrolls and poring over even older maps, looking for clues as to how and where they might siphon some of the power from the Conflux, the event horizon between mortal and immortal, infamy and obscurity, glorified ascension and downward spiral.

I really like the flavor and utilitarian nature of the binder, and I really like the same about the dragonfire adept. I like that they're both very easy to do well, and very difficult to do badly. Dragonfire adepts tap into that vast reservoir of draconic power, while binders tap into the remnants of an even-vaster reservoir of power that barely exists, and I like that juxtaposition a lot. The classes really seem to blend well to create a solid tier 3 blend; the combo branches OUT, not UP, which allows me to be more than a solid controller with my breath weapon, and more than an Anyclass with my vestige powers.

BECOMING A Flux Adept

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Knowledge (arcana, the planes, religion, history) 5 ranks in each, 9 ranks in one.
Special: Must know at least two least draconic invocations.
Special: Must be able to bind a second level vestige.

Making PrC entry bulletproof was just exhausting, and then I realized that I'm homebrewing this for myself, so I don't have to worry about how I will use and abuse the wonky requirements. I'm sure somebody can figure out how to enter this class at first level, but I don't care.

Class Skills
The Flux Adept’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all, Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Dex).

I imagine the Flux Adept as a seeker of secrets, a discoverer of lost lore. More of a Lara Croft or Indiana Jones than a Lorekeeper or treasure-seeker. It's all about going out there and getting the information, and not relying on others to bring it to you. Most of the skills are academic skills, or skills that would come in handy while chasing down lore, or skills that would be helpful staying alive while doing one or the other.

Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

I kept the lower BAB because I wanted to keep the higher skill points. In spite of a spammable breath weapon, I still see this PrC as more of a skillmonkey.

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Soulbinding, Dragonfire

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Immunities

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Pact Augmentation

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Breath weapon range doubles

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Breath effect

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Soul Guardian (immune to fear)

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Scales

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|Pact Augmentation

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Soul Guardian (Slippery Mind)

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Breath Effect
[/table]

Yes, I definitely need a capstone ability. Breath effects are great and all, and this one comes only one level after I could get FFBoT in a straight DFA build, but I kind of wanted something a little more representative of both entry classes. Maybe I should come up with an 8th level draconic vestige that I could take when my Binder level would otherwise only allow me a 7th level vestige. Hmmm...actually, that's a great lifetime ability I could stick in here instead of Scales or something. Dragonfire adept levels would stack for the purposes of binding draconic vestiges. In fact, wasn't there a Dragon article a while back with draconic vestiges? OK, now I'm stoked. Yay for deciding to post this even thought I didn't have it fully fleshed out! I still need a capstone ability, but at least I can ditch Scales...and maybe Soul Guardian, too. I don't like Slippery Mind much, but I do like the immunity to fear. Hmmm....thinky thinky.

Weapon Proficiencies: A Flux Adept gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Dragonfire: At each level, your effective dragonfire adept level increases by one for purposes of determining the damage your breath weapon deals, your invocations known, the level of invocations that you know, and the DC for your breath weapon and invocations.

Soubinding: At each level you get an increase in soulbinding as if you had gained a level in the Binder class. Flux Adept levels and Binder levels stack for determining the highest level of Vestiges you can bind, the number of Vestiges you can bind, binding checks, and granted abilities of Vestiges.

Both Soulbinding and Dragonfire are basically word for word from other theurge PrCs.

Immunities: At 2nd level, you become immune to sleep and paralysis effects.

This is such a low-key immunity, I have no idea why it's a 19th level DFA class feature. Seriously, sleep effects include two spells and a chromatic dragon breath weapon. I'm sure you could delve into the depths of the MM series and find a few more, but really, when was the last time a character above 4th level was put to sleep with a magical effect?

Pact Augmentation: At 3rd and 8th level, you gain an additional binder pact augmentation.

Pact augmentations are kind of weak, but I guess they could somewhat bolster the Flux Adept's admittedly poor BAB.

Breath Weapon range doubles: Breath weapon range doubles: At 4th level, the range of your breath weapon doubles. This applies to all shapes you are capable of now, and shapes you may learn in the future.

This seems like it should have been part of the Breath Weapon entry in DFA, but instead it shows up as a separate ability, so I had to add it.

Breath Effect: At 5th level, and again at 10th level, you gain another dragonfire adept breath effect, based on your effective dragonfire adept level.

The only really good boost the DFA gets, so I had to give half the progression to the flux adept.

Soul Guardian (immune to fear): At 6th level, you become immune to fear and fear effects, including the shaken, frightened and panicked conditions.

I'm not sure if I need the extra caveat about the shaken, frightened, and panicked effects, but it seemed really stupid to be immune to fear and not be immune to conditions resulting from being afraid.

Scales: At 7th level, your natural armor bonus increases by 2. If you have no natural armor, you are considered to have a natural armor bonus of +0 before applying this bonus.

I really don't like this ability, and I'll be more than happy to trade it off for Improved Draconic Vestige (or whatever I name that ability)

Soul Guardian (slippery mind): At 9th level, once per day when you fail a save against an Enchantment or mind-affecting effect, you can re-roll your save one minute later and use the new result.

This does not seem like a spectacular ability to me, as the havoc any character can wreak is pretty much done in 10 rounds anyway (unless we're talking about "ace in the hole" style long-term betrayal). Definitely not what you'd expect for an ability gained at level 15ish. and I still need a capstone ability!!