PDA

View Full Version : [PF] A Crafty Question

marcielle
2012-03-15, 02:20 PM
Pathfinders new crafting rules say if you completely lack a prerequisite, you can still make it at +5 DC, right?
And if you cooperate with someone who DOES have the prerequisite you are lacking, you can negate this penalty.

Am I getting this right? My DM is currently interpreting it as if you can find someone who has the prerequisite you lack, you can make it at +5 DC.

Which one is it? And where can I find some RAW backup, or better yet some RAI, from a FAQ or custserv or something?

CreganTur
2012-03-15, 02:42 PM
RAW- if you do not meet the prereq, then it is always a +5 DC for every prereq you do not meet.

RAI- all of the DMs I have worked with in the past have negated this extra DC if cooperating with a PC/NPC that has the prereq.

Laniius
2012-03-15, 02:53 PM
RAW- if you do not meet the prereq, then it is always a +5 DC for every prereq you do not meet.

RAI- all of the DMs I have worked with in the past have negated this extra DC if cooperating with a PC/NPC that has the prereq.

Recall though that you always need the actual item creation feat in question. That prerequisite cannot be waived.

You also need to meet all the prerequisites for potions, spell-trigger items, and spell completion items. This can either be provided by yourself, or somebody else or an item (like a scroll).

I am not sure, but I THINK that if you have someone else present or an item than you meet that prerequisite.

Hell, with the addition of Master Craftsman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final), even fighters can build Magic Arms and Armor and Wondrous Items.

Laniius
2012-03-15, 02:56 PM

Recall though that you always need the actual item creation feat in question. That prerequisite cannot be waived.

You also need to meet all the prerequisites for potions, spell-trigger items, and spell completion items. This can either be provided by yourself, or somebody else or an item (like a scroll).

I am not sure, but I THINK that if you have someone else present or an item than you meet that prerequisite.

Hell, with the addition of Master Craftsman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final), even fighters can build Magic Arms and Armor and Wondrous Items.

marcielle
2012-03-15, 06:42 PM
I have the feat( in this case, Craft Wondrous Items) and the other spellcasters in the group have the prereqs.

It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

My DM says this is 'sketchy' and interprets it as: 'other people can help with most prerequises, but this (the very act of getting someone to help) raises the dc on the final check'.

This is not a house rulling, he thinks it is RAW. Is there any better evidence that says, getting someone to fulfill the prerequisites negates the penalty, like a creator post ot FAQ? Or something that would not make sense unless this were true?