PDA

View Full Version : Variety is the spice of life.

Kansaschaser
2012-03-15, 02:44 PM
True or False?

I prefer my games to have a lot more variety when it comes to building a character. I'm not just talking about background or looks. I'm talking about the crunch of the character. I'd rather have too many choices than not enough.

So, I think it's True.

I have a friend that likes the newer version of a game that has less variety. He says that all games are trending toward a "homogenization". That means that if you play a "Paladin", then your paladin will be almost identical to any other "Paladin" in play. Sure, you can still make some changes, but they've taken several of the spices out of the spice rack. Eventaully, if things keep trending in this direction, we may only be left with Salt & Pepper.

Mystify
2012-03-15, 11:28 PM
This is precisely why I love Legend and hate 4e.

DefKab
2012-03-16, 12:00 AM
I believe restriction breeds creativity. Variety is nice, but being able to do anything isn't. I'd rather be stuck with trying to find a way to work around the few options I have then rebuild the obvious choices for everything I want.

To use a terrible analogy: 3.5 is every ingredient possible. I can make any meal I want, but if I'm not careful, I forget the Thyme, and my Punkin Pie is crap... And then someone else's Punkin Pie is going to be declared 'better' because one person thinks that more cinnamon is better. And then someone else decides Punkin Pie is crap, and that everyone should make Steaks... Too much freedom, I'll end up ordering out.

4.0 are recipes... You follow the recipes, you get the desired effect, and you have a full course meal. Every day. But I can add a little oregano for flavor, maybe some diced onions, and get a different taste. When I get into this mindset, I can use the given recipes, and try to make something different for once. No freedom makes me want to break out of the rut, and I'll work for it.

Both have their advantages, and I am in no way discrediting either preference. But I prefer a recipe, than a handful of ingredients...
Actually, I prefer Iron Chef... Lots of options, built around a core theme, but whatever.

DefKab
2012-03-16, 12:01 AM
I believe restriction breeds creativity. Variety is nice, but being able to do anything isn't. I'd rather be stuck with trying to find a way to work around the few options I have then rebuild the obvious choices for everything I want.

To use a terrible analogy: 3.5 is every ingredient possible. I can make any meal I want, but if I'm not careful, I forget the Thyme, and my Punkin Pie is crap... And then someone else's Punkin Pie is going to be declared 'better' because one person thinks that more cinnamon is better. And then someone else decides Punkin Pie is crap, and that everyone should make Steaks... Too much freedom, I'll end up ordering out.

4.0 are recipes... You follow the recipes, you get the desired effect, and you have a full course meal. Every day. But I can add a little oregano for flavor, maybe some diced onions, and get a different taste. When I get into this mindset, I can use the given recipes, and try to make something different for once. No freedom makes me want to break out of the rut, and I'll work for it.

Both have their advantages, and I am in no way discrediting either preference. But I prefer a recipe, than a handful of ingredients...
Actually, I prefer Iron Chef... Lots of options, built around a core theme, but whatever.

Mastikator
2012-03-16, 01:03 AM
I keep writing this over and over, can't think of a good way to put it, so I'll put it bluntly and poorly instead. I'd rather have depth and detail than variety and many options. For example, I'd take Eberron over Forgotten Realms, FR crams as much stuff into it as possible, it means you can be anything, but things that you can be make less sense.