PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Expedition to the Demonweb Pits IC

Cardea
2012-03-15, 04:25 PM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236323)

{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Build
rypt|Eoli (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=373372)|Gray Elf|Oracle 6/Swiftblade 3
Luca|Eliza Priest (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=374615)|Lesser Aasimar|Dread Necromancer 9
razorback|Indrotep Halvin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=375889)|Human|Warblade 9
Duke of URL|Emil Kraus (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=7680)|Human|Dragonfire Adept 9
A CHALLENGER|???|???|???
POSSIBLE PERSON|???|???|???
POSSIBLE PERSON|???|???|???[/table]

Five days of travel does no one any good for the risk of boredom. Five days of travel by yourselves, eating what rations you obtained from your last 'venture, and trading off woh stays awake in the god-awful camps you have to set up. The earth is giving and prosperous, unless one intends to sleep on it. Near dusk, as you look about for a suitable place to make camp, you find a building standing off by itself near the rough road you’ve been using. It looks maintained, but unoccupied. A sign above the door states simply: "Travelers' Rest - All Are Welcome".

DC 10 Knowledge: Religion
This must be one of the occasional hospice buildings erected and maintained by those who honor Fharlanghn, the deity of the roads. These buildings provide travelers with shelter. Each visitor is expected to use what he needs from the shelter and contribute what he can in return.

Duke of URL
2012-03-16, 09:47 AM
"Thank the gods," Emil says as he looks over the shelter. "It's such drudgery setting up camp -- it will be nice to have some shelter for a change." After a brief pause, he adds, "the place is here for us to use, but we should try to leave the place better than we found it, for the next traveler."

Thanks to his magic, the temperatures haven't been of any concern, but a roof and walls was a much better situation than the 'making camp' routine. The place looked clean and safe, and designed to be used by travelers such as they are.

Emil has a +16 in Knowledge (religion), so I didn't bother rolling for the info.

razorback
2012-03-16, 02:18 PM
Indrotep looked up at Emil, a sardonic grin on his face.

Surprised the ogres didn't use this or just destroy it.

Looking around for any obvious tracks on the ground, trying to see if his statement might prove true.

I'm going to run a quick perimeter and see what there is to see. As he cradled his falchion in his right arm in a seemingly weak posture that proved incorrect to the observer, he started to make a circle around the building That is, unless you want me to try my hand making dinner again.

razorback
2012-03-16, 06:52 PM
Knowledge religion

[roll0]

rypt
2012-03-16, 11:47 PM
Eoli's eyes drift from the road to the hospice and then back to the road, his ornery expression (and disposition) unmoved by the prospect of a single night of sheltered rest. For five days they have pursued the ogres and for five days they have risen with the sun to follow tracks that are older than any they have seen before.

Perhaps the ogres are faster, he thinks, observing the others as they dismount. Or perhaps they are simply not availing themselves of Fharlanghn's hospitality. Ever since the ogre raid, a brooding silence has settled over the elf. He has not yet shared the nature of the stolen wagon's cargo, but the naked urgency with which he seeks its recovery speaks plainly of its importance.

Duke of URL
2012-03-19, 07:42 AM
Emil doesn't rise to Introdep's jibe about cooking, but instead grunts, "this shelter is provided by the followers of Fharlanghn. Even ogres aren't dumb enough to provoke Fharlanghn's disfavor while they are traveling. They may have even used the place themselves."

He tries to help look around for any signs of the ogres' presence at the place, or anything else out of the ordinary. If he finds nothing of interest, he gathers wood and starts a fire by breathing on it until the wood catches the flame.

Luca
2012-03-23, 12:23 PM
Eliza smiles, shifting her clothes around to a more comfortable under her armor, and moves to help Emil with the lifting of firewood. Paying only one ear to her companions as they discussed the wayshrine and the ogres they chased she hummed quietly to herself. Just as Emil said few would disrespect the god of the roads by defiling the place, and even if they didn't need the wood it would be good to collect extra for the next travelers to use.

"I'm beginning to worry we aren't going to catch them, its already been so long. What will we do if they loose us?" She asks upon her next return to the building that would be their shelter, wrapping her overlong scarf a little tighter round her neck.

Duke of URL
2012-03-23, 12:42 PM
"I find it hard to believe we'd lose their trail. If we fail to catch them in the open, then all that will happen is that they lead us back to their lair." Far from appearing concerned about that, Emil actually seems happy at that prospect.

razorback
2012-03-24, 10:25 AM
After a quick reconnoiter around the structure, Indrotep is satisfied that they are in no immediate danger. Returning to the others, he gathers up some wood and, much to his chagrin, he sees that Emil and Eliza have already started. Shrugging his shoulders, he carries the wood to the corner and stacks it in preperation for their use or the next user of the structure.

Sitting back on his haunches, he rests his falchion across his legs as he pulls a bit of dried meat from his pack. Gnawing on it a bit, he uses it to point at the rest of the group.

Do you think we are gaining on them? he asks a bit gruffly. Not happy about taking the cart with them, he was looking to track down and finish off these ogres before they had a chance to harm innocents. Speed, to him, was more important in catching their quarry but this was an argument he was going to lose. Again.

rypt
2012-03-26, 02:07 PM
Eoli remains by the cart for some time before moving to approach the others around the campfire. He is joined by an usual retinue -- a large mirror, wrought of the finest silver and polished to a brilliant luster, hovers in the air to his right, while an over-sized but crudely crafted battleaxe seems to drag itself by its handle to the elf's left. Behind him, a procession of small hand bells float in an orderly single-file line, bobbing slightly as though flowing with the current of an invisible river.

When Eoli stops to address the group, the mirror and the axe stop with him. The bells, however, continue on their own, bending around him before breaking rank, one at a time, as the move to surround the camp.

"Who among you are familiar with these lands?" he asks, looking to each of his fellow travelers in turn. "I will require the assistance of someone with knowledge of local flora, fauna, geography, and/or mineral morphology." He speaks with a cold matter-of-factness and makes no effort to explain or even acknowledge the miscellanea that hovers about him.

Eoli casts servant horde to summon 17 unseen servants. One carries his scrying mirror, another drags the ogre weapon. The remaining 15 are each given a small hand bell and will position themselves at regular intervals along the circumference of a 45 ft. radius circle centered on the campfire.

razorback
2012-03-26, 02:17 PM
Indrotep stops at the sight of all of the items moving of their own volition, unsure if he should smile or scowl. While the sight itself was amusing in its own way, he had faint trust in the powers of magic. The power of Anhur, and the sword arm that he is, were the only things he could trust.

Neither the beasts or the rocks are familliar to me as I have never traveled this land. was all he said as he let his face sink into the shadows.

Duke of URL
2012-03-26, 03:24 PM
Emil makes a noncommittal grunt. "I forget which lands I've traveled over in my hunts, but I know a little of this, and a little of that, from most places. What do you wish to know?"

rypt
2012-03-26, 05:19 PM
"Time will tell," Eoli answers, looking the human up and down with a judicious eye. "Join me in one hour." He turns toward the hostel and steps away, the mirror and axe turning to follow. "I am not to be disturbed until then, save for by the ringing of bells."

Eoli will enter the lodge, give himself a tour, and hopefully find a room with a table and chair to begin the casting of scrying. Will save DC 21 to negate, with a -4 penalty imposed by the possession of the battleaxe.

Cardea
2012-03-26, 09:50 PM
Eoli
Inside, you are somewhat surprised at how well stocked the building is. There are three bunkbeds, a fireplace, a dining table, an enclosed privy, several windows and doors which are cleaner than you'd expect. There are also a few chests, which, upon inspection, contain some basic adventuring gear. Most importantly, you note that inside one of them, near the table, contains cooking utensils, soap, spices, soap, food enough for two months and soap. You leave it be for now, as you settle your servants in their positions, and you have the one holding the mirror stand near the back of the building.

The mirror is held before you, as you channel your spell outwards. The axe glows as energy pours through it, and into the mirror. A ripple forms on the image, and your reflection fades away. It is becoming dark where you are viewing, and the image tunes into that of a small quartet of ogres. They are in a forest, you can tell, and are shouting in common.

"COME OUT LITTLE SPIDER LOVERS." Says the one you are focusing on. "YOU COME OUT AND WE CRUSH. IT IS GAME. COME OUT."

Outside of view, you hear a second voice, this one distinctly different. It comes out smooth, and you can detect a hint of pleasure. "Come now, Grimthuk, dearest, dearest Grimthuk." The voice, a female, says something you can't quite make out, but as soon as she says it, one of the other ogres howls. "Its only fair, you know. You weren't supposed to be there in the first place. You were to wait with the others, but now look at you? What a silly little Warmonger. Even lost your axe."

"YOU LIE. YOU SPIDER LOVER. YOU ALWAYS LIE." Grimthuk says, shouting. You see a smirk, if you could call it that, spread across his face. "BUT OGRE NOT NEED LIE. OGRE KNOWS WHAT YOU DID. YOU TAKE ELF BODIES. YOU TAKE THEM FOR SELF. YOU DID BAD MAGIC. GRIMTHUK KNOWS.

"GRIMTHUK KNOWS ASHAARI COME FOR YOU."

"You should have kept your ugly, disgusting mouth shut, you inferior piece of swine."

What happens now is unclear, given your limited view. From what you can make out, one of the ogres falls over, and the other three keep running. Grimthuk leads them through, smashing through a good part of the forest he is in, until he comes to a cave. By now, he is supporting one of the other ogres with the third, and they make their way to the cave. You can hear laughing from behind them. They run into the cave, and fall to the ground, as crossbow bolts strike them. Grimthuk finds himself pinned under one of the ogre bodies, as the last one makes an escape, and as far as you can tell, does so. Grimthuk looks up as one of his assailants steps forward to him. You can see, quite clearly, that the figure wears the markings of the Ashaari. Grimthuk laughs, and says:

"WHAT GRIMTHUK SAY. BAD MAGIC. GRIMTHUK WINS."

The attacker fires off into Grimthuk, felling the ogre. A few moments later, you hear another inaudible phrase, this time it sounds painful, sounds wrong, to your ears. It is repeated again. Both the ogre and Grimthuk rise up slowly, awkwardly, and begin walking in an unseen direction, as the image fades out, and your reflection takes place again.

Spellcraft DC 19
You can make out the three phrases with some effort. They were, in order: Inflict Critical Wounds, Animate Dead, Animate Dead.

Emil begins gathering up some wood from the forest, when he sees cut logs out behind the structure. He takes two of the logs, and sets them into the fire pit out front. He ignites it with his breath, and settles down. After that, as Eoli settles inside to perform his spell, the others join at the fire. The fire pit itself is inside a fenced in area, and to the side there are some makeshift stables where you settle in your mounts. The sun begins to make its final stretch downward, and you suspect that, within the hour, night will fall. Not long after sitting, a stew is being cooked over the fire, being stirred by rotating members of the company.

razorback
2012-03-27, 10:49 AM
"I am not to be disturbed until then, save for by the ringing of bells."

As Indrotep watches Eoli walk to the structure, he settles in near the fire.
<I wonder if all magic users are required to be so... self-involved?> he thinks to himself, shaking his head ever so slightly. Placing his falchion in what could only be said to be reverence, he pulls out his dagger and a piece of wood he has been whittling at, carefully removing a tiny piece of wood as he carefully considers his next the proportions of what he is doing.
He looks over at Emil, arches his eyebrow and nods towards the structure. A slight grin tugs at the corner of his mouth as he goes back to the wood after checking on the stew.

Duke of URL
2012-03-27, 11:10 AM
Emil shrugs. "He doesn't bother me. Let him go off and be mystical, if at the end of all it, there are more dead ogres, I'm not going to question the path it took to get there."

"Hopefully, this stew will be better than the last one. I almost had to wash my mouth out with dirt to get rid of that taste."

razorback
2012-03-27, 02:43 PM
Although Indrotep's face didn't change Emil got the impression he was smiling.

The offer stands, either way.

Indrotep had the sneaking suggestion that everyone think he intentionally made the last meal unedible.

Duke of URL
2012-03-28, 10:16 AM
After an hour, actually slightly longer as Emil decided to make the elf wait a bit on his pleasure, Emil gets up, scoops a bowl of the stew, and heads inside the cabin.

"I brought you some stew. I won't vouch for whether or not it's edible, but it is hot," he says gruffly. In an even more serious (if that's possible) tone, he adds, "what have you found, and how can I help?"

rypt
2012-03-28, 02:37 PM
Emil enters the room to find Eoli standing at least six paces from the floating mirror. The gray elf's cheeks are flushed with color, his face is twisted with anger, and his eyes seem to be staring through the mirror's polished silver surface. The spellguard's breast heaves in rhythm with each seething breath and an upturned chair lies on its side some distance behind him. His left arm is bent akimbo, white knuckles gripping the hilt of the blade at his waist, while his right hand is a clenched fist held tightly against his chest.

When Emil first speaks, the Ashaari hardly seems to notice. In fact, so consuming is Eoli's rage that, for a time, he seems utterly oblivious to the man's presence. It isn't until the aroma of the stew -- for better or for worse -- rouses the elf from his thoughts that his head snaps abruptly to face the visitor. Even then, he says nothing for a moment, his narrowed eyes searching Emil's face as he struggles to compose himself.

"How long have you been standing there?" he finally asks in a low menacing tone. As the spellguard glances briefly back toward the mirror, he adds, "and how much did you see?"

razorback
2012-03-28, 05:00 PM
As Emil goes to check on Eoli, Indrotep finishes up and stands, resting his falchion across his arms.

Looking at Eliza, he nods to her as he begins to stand guard.
As she looks at him, he mutters to her
Perfect time for an ambush

Duke of URL
2012-03-30, 06:28 AM
"Only a few seconds," says Emil. "And I saw little more than you standing there, looking extremely angry. Hopefully not at me, as you did tell me to come in here, but, in any case, eat the stew before it cools off enough that you can taste it."

rypt
2012-04-02, 04:31 PM
Smoothing the front of his robes, Eoli exhales a deep, steadying breath. "Well then," he scowls as he steps away to return the upended chair to a small desk set against the wall, "you are late." The elf moves back towards Emil, taking the bowl of stew in one hand as he wafts the rising steam towards his nose with the other. He grimaces. "Our hunt for ogres is over. Tomorrow, we hunt drow."

Duke of URL
2012-04-03, 06:24 AM
Emil's voice betrays no emotion whatsoever, except a forced casualness. "Yeah, well, hunting drow is all well and good, but I don't think the others are going to want to give up on the ogres just yet. And don't you have some unfinished business with them as well? Why not take care of them before moving on to the next job?"

rypt
2012-04-06, 10:55 PM
Eoli is already turning to leave as Emil speaks. "Because I watched the ogres die," he remarks flatly, pausing at the edge of the room, "and what they stole from Ashaar can no longer be returned." At that, the spellguard steps away, floating mirror and axe falling into place behind him. Without stopping or looking back, he adds, "There is more to be said, but the others must hear it as well."

Returning to the camp fire, presumably with Emil in tow, Eoli finds an open seat across from Eliza and Indrotep. "As I have told Emil, the ogres are either all dead or soon to be so. Evidently, they had been serving as hired muscle for a priestess of Lolth, a relationship that turned sour when the ogres realized that what they stole from me had been stolen from them. They attempted to confront the priestess in a forest. A single ogre escaped with his life, but there is little reason to believe he will survive the night. The bodies of the fallen where animated by the drow, and the dead will not tire in their search."

razorback
2012-04-09, 11:00 AM
Indrotep stood, pacing about the small camp in front of the building.
He could hear some discussion even if he couldn't make out what was being said.
Know, as his instructors had drilled into his head, that impatience breed mistakes, he calmed himself with a mental exercise.
After a few minutes, he walked outside the ring of the camp.
I'll take first watch. You guys decide who you want to replace me in a few hours. he said over his shoulder as he started a small perimeter walk. He knew that they should be safe at the shelter but the idea of remaining unguarded went against his nature.

Duke of URL
2012-04-09, 02:07 PM
"Well, I for one won't shed a tear for any dead ogres," Emil chimed in. "Or drow for that matter, if that's what we're hunting next. It's all much the same to me in the end."

"I'll take the middle watch -- I don't need the uninterrupted sleep like the mages,"

rypt
2012-04-12, 12:34 PM
Scoffing at what he perceives as a slight from Emil -- elves do not need sleep at all -- Eoli's expression sours as he slowly stirs his stew. "I have already seen to the security of the camp, but if you insist on standing about for hours on end, I certainly will not stop you."

razorback
2012-04-12, 02:34 PM
Indrotep stands guard, keeping an eye out for trouble, falchion cradled in his arm. His thought wander from time to time but his face is stern and he keeps a sharp eye. At the end of his watch, he nudges Emil for his watch. Saying a prayer to Anhur before bedding down.

Cardea
2012-04-17, 10:43 AM
The night goes on quietly, and the first watch goes up. The forest is peaceful, the only sounds being wolves in the distant, crickets and what sounds like the life of a swamp, even if only dimly. Its hard to not fall asleep, but Indrotep stays alert all throughout. The moon rises in the sky, its light illuminating the forest. Such a lovely forest, if it weren't for the task at hand.

Emil wakes, and readies his stuff to go on watch. As he prepares the last of his gear, he can make out beyond one of the window curtains a rather two rather large figures. One seems to be hiding poorly, while the other one seems to be attempting to hide poorly. They're twenty feet outside of the house. Behind them, he can make out two more figures, but he can't tell their size.

Duke of URL
2012-04-18, 07:34 PM
Emil moves quickly to each of his comrades, gently waking them and whispering "we've got company". He points out the figures to the others. "I doubt they're friendly."

rypt
2012-04-19, 12:38 AM
Rising from his trance and stepping carefully towards the window, Eoli follows Emil's eye to the four figures half-hidden outside. The elf's upper lip curls in abhorrence as he considers the size of the shadowed visitors, and his hands begin to move through a series of arcane gestures. With a whispered word, the air in front of the spellguard shudders once then grows still, an unseen barrier taking shape before him.

"Come," the elf beckons, reaching out with one arm as a narrow, recurved blade materializes in his waiting hand. "Let us greet our guests."

Eoli casts shield on himself. +11 shield bonus to AC for 9 minutes.

razorback
2012-04-19, 10:27 AM
Indrotep, at Emil's proding, is instantly awake. He sees Eoli softly chanting to himself and smiles to himself. While not one for magic, he had seen what happened to those who had underestimated the elf's abilities first hand.

I dislike the idea of attacking without discerning their intent. The could be travelers looking to use the shelter, like ourselves. he whispers to his comrades But, based on our goals, I would think that our luck would not be in that direction. What is the plan?
As he finished, he whispered a prayer to Anhur to have the falchion in his hand strike true.

rypt
2012-04-20, 12:15 AM
Eoli sighs and begins to work another spell, weaving moon-cast shadows into a phantom form that looks remarkably like Indrotep. Where the the Mulani warrior is in the peak physical condition, however, his illusory double appears to have put on considerable weight. Standing slouched and wearing only a pair of frayed breeches and a stained linen shirt, the phantasm cradles a flagon of wine instead of a falchion.

The elf then nods towards the door. "Open it," he whispers, "but do not show yourself."

The phantom figure staggers forth, pausing to stretch in the doorway before passing into the cool evening air. Taking a spirited draught of wine, it begins to make its way towards the treeline, undoing the buttons on its trousers as the edge of the clearing draws close.

Eoli casts silent image.

I don't have the greatest understanding of the geography of the area, but if there is any plausible pretense for the phantom drunkard to walk towards the intruders (i.e. they are near the cart, the campfire, the stables, etc.), it will do so instead.

Duke of URL
2012-04-20, 09:25 AM
Emil draws his dagger, more for the comfort it provides than any thought that he'd actually need to use it. He stretches out his senses to see if he can pinpoint the exact numbers and positions of the possible enemies.

If they're within 30', Emil can pinpoint their positions with blindsense.

razorback
2012-04-20, 01:59 PM
Moving behind the door, Indrotep opens the door from behind and moves backwards so as not to be seen from outside. Nodding to Eoli, he listens for any movement or attack at his duplicate, a sly grin on his face at the mocking interpretation of him by the elf.

Cardea
2012-04-22, 07:27 PM
A Night of Drow Intent

The illusory double stumbles forward, its weighty form clearly seen in the moonlight. Some commotion can be heard from the forest to the side. A flare of light goes up to the left of the house, a bright blue glow, and from in front of the house, a great flame can be seen, surging forward. It cuts diagonally from the illusions right side, and goes over the firepit, lighting it. It ends, and a figure stands where the fire trail ended. It is an elf, but with darkened skin, and a cruel grin. He shouts out:

"Looks like our new friends are awake!"

A voice cries out from the forest to the left."Тогда мы просто должны дать им подарок!"

If You Speak Undercommon
A voice cries out from the forest to the left. "Then we'll just have to give them a present!"

Spellcraft DC 16
You recognize this trail of fire, and the man's sudden appearance, as a casting of Firestride Exhalation (Dragon Magic.)

Emil
Your outer awareness of vision grants you the ability to sense the movements of six creatures to the left, approaching the rest stop. Three Ogres, two Elves and another Elf, though this one is heavily armored.

Spellcraft DC 20
With some difficulty, you can feel the precise movements of the armored Drow, and coupled with your knowledge of the magic of the world, you can tell she, yes, definitely a she, you decide, you can tell she has cast Mass Mage Armor.

Duke of URL
2012-04-23, 07:49 AM
Emil got a good sense of the numbers and positions of the approaching figures. "Well, someone has a good bit of draconic magic," he muttered, nodding toward the elf at the fire. "But he has friends, too. Over in the trees, six more. Three of them elves, probably all drow, along with three ogres. One of the elves is heavily armored and still casting spells, protecting her comrades."

Without a hint of surprise, he added, "I think they mean to fight. Let's oblige them."

[roll0], [roll1]
Note that the Draconic Knowledge invocation allows Spellcraft to be used untrained.

Standard action: Invoke energy resistance (fire)

razorback
2012-04-23, 01:33 PM
Whispering to the others How should we split them? You guys deal with the elves while I keep the ogres busy?

rypt
2012-04-23, 09:32 PM
Eoli's voice hisses through gritted teeth, his body stiffening as Emil assesses the approaching force. "Magic will not avail these depraved meddlers, usurpers, and profane idolaters. If they wish to test their mettle against my own," a charge of magic ripples through the air and motes of spellfire dance in the elf's eyes, "then I will break them."

"The priestess is their leader. Without her, they cannot command the risen dead." He turns to Indrotep. "If you trust your blade to fell an armored foe, you will have the speed to reach her." Eoli then drops one hand to a short rod looped into his belt. With a hushed word, he releases its power and sends a wave of energy surging through the bodies of his companions.

Swift action: Cast spellcaster's bane. 9 round duration.

Standard action: Cast haste on the party, extended via his metamagic rod. 18 round duration.

Duke of URL
2012-04-24, 08:43 AM
"If we can keep them bunched together, it makes my job a lot easier. I'll follow right behind the first attack wave and work on keeping the enemy tied up. Who's going to take out the sorcerer at the fire?"

razorback
2012-04-24, 12:08 PM
I will rush the left flank once I am out the door and keep them occupied. The rest of you should concentrate on taking down the dark elves first.
With that, the warrior rushes out the door, moving quickly to the left of the building to contain the ogres.

Indrotep
AC ~ 20 +1 haste = 21
HP ~ 82

Action: Indrotep is moving out the door and taking a move up to 60ft(or full move of 120ft, if required) to cut off retreat from those at the left(from inside the building) while not moving through threatened squares (that he can perceive). While he has Punishing Stance readied, he is not actively using this yet.

Attack: none

Effects:
Haste: +30 movement (60ft); +1 to AC, attack and Reflex
Stance: Punishing Stance +1d6 to all melee attacks and -2 to AC

Manuevers readied:
Wall of Blades
Ruby Nightmare Blade
Mithral Tornado
Iron Heart Surge

Duke of URL
2012-04-25, 07:44 AM
Emil lets Indrotep take the point and follows closely behind, using the warrior as cover. He tries to stay in a position where he can catch as many of the drow as possible with his breath weapon.

Originally, I was going to post damage rolls, etc. here, but it looks liek the combat clock hasn't quite started yet, no?

rypt
2012-04-25, 01:53 PM
In answer to Emil's question, Eoli simply rises to his feet and walks unhurriedly through the front door. He turns in stride to face this dark skinned arcanist, and with a wave of his hand, the ground at the drow's feet begins to fracture and break as masses of writhing black tentacles burst from the splintered earth. The waving members lash themselves about the drow's body, and in an instant, his smug grin vanishes beneath their constricting coils.

Initiative: [roll0]

Move action: Exit the building and move into line-of-sight of the male drow.

Standard action: Cast black tentacles centered on the male drow (if possible to do without including himself in the area or blocking the path of Emil and Indrotep).

Grapple check: [roll1]

Cardea
2012-05-10, 12:58 AM
Map
Your sphere is the same color as your posting color. If something isn't clear, just check with me. My maps generally suck, which is something I'm trying to improve on.

Emil is actually at H9, not G9.

Gray blocks are doors. Blue blocks are windows.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/CardeaAfton/EttDWP.jpg

Initiative
That was surprise round.

Fire-Drow
Emil: 19
Eoli: 18
Eliza: 17
Armored-Drow
Elf
Indrotep: 8
Elf
Ogre
Ogre
Ogre

Round One

Quickly, the three of you move out from the building. As you step outside, the people approaching are quickly illuminated by Emil's breath of fire. It comes out, striking against the Drow who appeared in a blaze of fire, and the two... Elves. Not Drow, but Elves, though their appearance is gaunt and their flesh is withered and dried, they are most certainly Elves. Rather than the dark armor of the Drow, these ones wear what once were, but now dirtied and torn, white robes, with gold borders. Their flesh, and their robes, now singe as they are held in place by what appears to be images of fire, pulsing with magical energy, all across their legs.

Black tentacles explode out of the earth between the ogres and the Drow, grasping at anything they can. Two find purchase against an Elf and an Ogre, but while one grabs firmly on one Ogre, before being promptly ignored as it moves forward, any that grab onto the Drow simply... slide off.

"Ooh, this one wants to play with fire!" Shouts the Drow, as he looks at Emil through the blaze. He extends his hand out to Emil, and smiles. "Lets play, little wyrmling! Ixen ray!" he shouts. From his hand explode two rays of fire, one of which flies past Emil, while the other one hits him square in the chest.

Spellcraft: DC 15
That was Scorching Ray.

Emil
16 points of Fire Damage. Apply any resistance if you have any.

Duke of URL
2012-05-10, 11:02 AM
Emil pulls up after being slightly singed by the drow at the fire. "Two can play at that game," he says as he breathes out a streak of flaming sticky stands that wrap around his assailant.

Fire breath with entangling exhalation for [roll0] fire damage divided by 2; reflex DC 24 for 1/2 of that. Target entangled for [roll1] rounds taking +1d6 fire damage on my initiative count each turn.

razorback
2012-05-12, 08:39 AM
Indrotep steps forward toward the ogre nearest him, wicked grin on his face, as he laughs and mockingly says
Ogres, you cast offs from the loins of old and feeble giants, my falchion shall end your pitiful existence today.
With that, he unleashes a terrible assault on the ogre, as he spins, falchion making a double x pattern.

Indrotep
AC ~ 20; Current ~ 19 vs. all except ogre at NO-78, which is 23, due to Stance of Clarity and Haste
HP ~ 82; Current ~ 82

Move Action ~
5 foot step to N9

Standard Action ~
Two attacks on ogre at NO-78

1st attack w/Keen and Weakening Falchion
[roll0] +1
Crit confirmation if necessary (15-20 range)
[roll1] +1
Damage
[roll2]

2nd attack w/Keen and Weakening Falchion
[roll3] +1
[roll4]+1
Damage
[roll5]

Effects~
Haste~ 1 extra attack at highest BAB, +1 AC, +1 Reflex, +30 movement; 1/9
Stance~Stance of Clarity +2 AC vs one opponent (ogre at NO-78), -2 vs. all others
Readied Maneuvers
Moment of Perfect Mind
Ruby Nightmare Blade
Iron Heart Surge
Iron Heart Focus

Cardea
2012-06-07, 02:57 PM
Round Two

Fire shoots out from the shaman, spiraling outward. It hits him, but as the flames flicker out quickly, they leave their mark: around the Drow's shins and ankles, are weaves of scorch marks. He looks down, then back up at the Dragon Shaman, his legs slower.

The Drow in armor looks down at the tentacles, making a face of disgust. As she moves out of one's way, she grins, looking at you three. She speaks a word, one painful and loud word, and in a blink, she is gone from sight. The Drow near the campfire looks back to where she was, then back to the three of you. His expression changes to a look of concern, as a tentacle pulls him down to the ground.

Indrotep cuts into the one Ogre to leave the grasp of the tentacles, but while his first hit finds purchase, his second finds itself glancing off the brute's hide. His sword arm moves faster, for a brief instant, however, repeating the second attack again, this time cutting deeper into the ogre's chest, causing deep wounds in the creature. Yet, despite the exposed innards, no blood comes out. In response, however, the Ogre swings its arm into the warrior, hitting him square in the chest.

As the rest of the creatures struggle against the tentacles, the remaining Drow looks up, shouting out with a strained breath: "Ignis passu exhalatio!" From his mouth shoots forth a stream of fire, so large that it engulfs his body. Just above the roof, however, he appears, with a rod in his hand. He shouts again: "Molles spera." The rod in his hand flashes orange, and around him a globe of energy forms. He visibly relaxes, as he sits down inside of this ball. He looks down at the three of you, a smile spreading across his face.

Spellcraft
DC 19
The stream of fire was Firestride Exhalation.

DC 20
The Armored Drow cast Teleport.

DC 23
The globe surrounding him is a Quickened Resilient Sphere.

Map
Nothing much has changed. Armored Drow isn't there anymore. Other Drow is fifteen feet above ground. Indrotep is at N9.

Indrotep, take 29 points of damage.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS BEING HELD TO THE GROUND BY A BIG BULLY.

razorback
2012-06-10, 10:17 AM
Indrotep, feeling the mighty blow of the ogre, winces back the pain, knowing that it had to be pushed down until after he survived this.
Not letting the surprise of the ogre not bleeding profusely, he draws back and unleashes another salvo, thankful for the wizards help.
Strong are those who follow Anhur's path. he chants to himself.
Drawing his falchion across in a feint towards the ogres face, Indrotep reverses direction over his head and slashes low at the ogres' ankles, spinning in an circle that then slashes at across the chest, with one more spin that attacks the ogres neck.

Indrotep
AC ~ 20; Current ~ 19 vs. all except ogre at NO-78, which is 23, due to Stance of Clarity and Haste
HP ~ 82; Current ~ 53

Move Action ~
None

Full Attack Action ~
Two attacks on ogre at NO-78

[roll0]
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
Damage
[roll5]

3rd (Hasted) attack w/Keen and Weakening Falchion
[roll6]
[roll7]
Damage
[roll8]

Effects~
Stance~Stance of Clarity +2 AC vs one opponent (ogre at NO-78), -2 vs. all others
Readied Maneuvers
Moment of Perfect Mind
Ruby Nightmare Blade
Iron Heart Surge
Iron Heart Focus

Duke of URL
2012-06-12, 08:14 AM
"Playing 'catch' are we?" Emil growls as he shifts his form into a raptorian to gain some tactical movement advantage, and then takes to the sky.

As a sanity check, make sure the armored drow is not within range of my Blindsight
Standard: Humanoid Shape invocation to change form; fly 70' (avg) [with haste] for up to 7 rounds
Move: Fly toward the fire-using drow to ensure I can get him in range next round.
Reminder - any targets still entangled take 1d6 fire damage on my count.
[roll0]
[roll1]

rypt
2012-06-12, 03:10 PM
Eoli gestures toward the armored priestess, uttering a word of unmaking as he he seeks to unravel the magic of her spell. Fire erupts between them then, a momentary distraction that is all the priestess needs to complete her escape. She vanishes in a rush of wind and Eoli turns with a flourish of his blade to face the source of the flame.

"You are a fool if you think magic will shield you from the justice of Ashaar!" Where there was a single word before, there is a torrent of them now, washing over the spherical barrier and extinguishing the magic therein.

Eoli casts arcane turmoil on the male drow. The drow is affected as if by the targeted version of dispel magic.

Dispel checks:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

He must also pass a DC 20 Will Save or lose one randomly determined prepared spell or spell slot from his highest level of available spells remaining.

Caster level check vs. spell resistance: [roll8]

Arcane turmoil is listed as Spell Resistance: Yes. Since dispel magic ignores spell resistance, it is my understanding that spell resistance only applies to the losing of a spell slot. If this is incorrect, Eoli will cast dispel magic instead of arcane turmoil.

Grapple checks and damage rolls for black tentacles.

[roll9]
[roll10]

[roll11]
[roll12]

[roll13]
[roll14]

[roll15]
[roll16]

Cardea
2012-06-17, 12:41 PM
Round Three

With a growl, flame envelops Emil briefly, before he flies upwards, his form now changed: Wings and sharp avian features mark him differently. The Drow inside the sphere breathes in sharply, as the magic of Emil's flame hurts him again. His obvious slight of pain turns into a scream, as he grasps his head. Elven writing floats around his head for a moment, and you can see a flicker of something breaking around him. He seems less... charismatic, if you had to put a word on it.

Indrotep however, unleashes another assault on the Ogre before him. His blade cuts in deeper, and there's an audible crunch of bone from one of the strikes. The Ogre's form begins to trickle apart, its skin and muscle and flesh turning to ash. Before long, there is simply a pile of gravedust, where the Ogre once stood.

The tentacles continue to hold down the other combatants, keeping their legs to the ground, their bodies pressed into the dirt. Despite their struggle, the spell continues to do its function perfectly.

No one moved.
Emil, you can't feel the Armored Drow within your Blindsight, if that is what you were referring to. Additionally, I mark ASF as lower numbers are closer to failure, not higher numbers.
Fire Damage: [roll0]

Duke of URL
2012-06-18, 07:48 AM
Smiling grimly as the tentacles continue to do their job, leaving him free to concentrate on the mage, Emil closes in closely enough to breathe a blast of frigid cold. "Having trouble with the heat?" he sneers. "Then cool off!"

Cold breath, 15' cone for [roll0] damage; Reflex DC 23 for half
Cannot use cold breath next round

Edit: I agree on the ACF ruling -- rolling high is supposed to be better, after all, in 3.5

razorback
2012-06-18, 01:02 PM
Indrotep, seeing the first ogre fall, feels a sudden renewal, knowing that he would prevail with his allies over the large number.
Knowing his last assault was effective against the ogre, he unleashes the same form against the other mindless brute.

Indrotep
AC ~ 20; Current ~ 19 vs. all except ogre at L-M/6-7, which is 23, due to Stance of Clarity and Haste
HP ~ 82; Current ~ 53

Move Action ~
None

Full Attack Action ~
Two attacks on ogre at L-M/6-7

[roll0]
[roll1]
Damage
124+14

[roll2]
[roll3]
Damage
(2d4+14)[1][4](19)

[roll4]
[roll5]
Damage
124+14

Effects~
Stance~Stance of Clarity +2 AC vs one opponent (ogre at L-M/6-7), -2 vs. all others
Readied Maneuvers
Moment of Perfect Mind
Ruby Nightmare Blade
Iron Heart Surge
Iron Heart Focus

rypt
2012-06-18, 02:34 PM
Eoli invokes the signature magic of the spellguard once more, this time shifting the focus of his spell from the drow sorcerer to the barrier of magic that surrounds him.

Eoli casts dispel magic on the drow's resilient sphere.

Dispel check: [roll0]

Cardea
2012-07-07, 07:58 PM
Round Four

Emil's breath changes, its fiery intensity shifting to a cold ferocity. It bursts out, enveloping the sphere, but not the Drow inside. As the burst of frost subsides, the residue of the breath melting away off the sphere, to reveal the Drow, holding up his hands towards you. You hear him, though slightly muted through the sphere, say out: "Enough! I am outdone, I see this! I can be of use!"

Indrotep's footwork carries him forward, his falchion moving swiftly through the air into flesh. Two cuts work their way into Ogre's flesh, and this one turns to dust as his falchion moves through its neck.

As the tentacles work their way to hold their prey, Eoli holds his hand outward, a small line of magic connecting him and the sphere. Eoli's will holds for a moment, and a slight fracture appears in the sphere, before it fixes itself back to perfection, the connecting line broken.

rypt
2012-07-09, 03:24 PM
Roaring his frustration, Eoli gestures sharply before disappearing in a burst of air, Emil's feathered form appearing in his place. Now standing on the roof, the gray elf steps towards the sphere, his face twisted with rage. "Enough?!" his voice seethes with contemptuous fury as he repeats the drow's plea. "You murder my kin, defile their bodies with the magic of your vile god, and then dare to plead restraint?" He points with his sword toward the field below, the pair of undead pair elves struggling beneath the mass of writhing tentacles. "Do you not comprehend what you have done?! Their bodies are tainted, their families shamed, and their remains can never be returned to Ashaar." He turns from the drow then, unable to face him any longer. For a moment, he says nothing. When he speaks again, his voice is low, his rage simmering, but for the moment, controlled. "You beg for your life, yet your crimes warrant pains far worse than death. Even your own priestess abandoned you without hesitation. Why in the name of The Uncaring should I value your life any higher than she did?"

Eoli casts benign transposition targeting himself and Emil. I'm assuming Emil was somewhere over the roof.

razorback
2012-07-11, 11:51 AM
The Mulani warrior, seeing only one of the shambling ogres still standing, invokes the magic of one of his items, rushing forward and lashes out with his falchion, trying to finish it off.

Indrotep
AC ~ 20; Current ~ 19 vs. all except ogre at K-L/4-5, which is 23, due to Stance of Clarity and Haste
HP ~ 82; Current ~ 53

Swift Action ~
Activate Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (1/2 movement as swift, does not provoke AoO's)

Full Attack Action ~
Two attacks on ogre at K-L/4-5

[roll0]
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
Damage
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
Damage
[roll8]

Effects~
Stance~Stance of Clarity +2 AC vs one opponent (ogre at K-L/4-5), -2 vs. all others
Readied Maneuvers
Moment of Perfect Mind
Ruby Nightmare Blade
Iron Heart Surge
Iron Heart Focus