PDA

View Full Version : Stacking enchantments??? [Question thread]

Nanoblack
2012-03-15, 06:41 PM
Rather than pouring through the DMG for a well hidden clause that will answer my question, I'll ask the playground. When dealing with weapon enhancements (flaming, shocking, collision, ect.) can you have multiple of the same type? If not, how abusable would it be if it were allowed?

Averis Vol
2012-03-15, 08:09 PM
hmmm, theres nothing i can find in the dmg, but seeing as technically they're all a kind of enhancement bonus, they wouldn't stack.

Petey7
2012-03-15, 09:25 PM
No, and not very. The cost wouldn't justify it.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-03-16, 12:53 AM
You can't have a Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming Longsword (energy damage of the same type), if that's what you're asking, but you can have a Flaming Shocking Frost Thunderous Longsword (energy damage of a different type), although frankly I wouldn't.

I guess it would be interesting to have a set of Tri-Keen scimitars on your Thri-Kreen barbarian. That would be epic (actually, it would be epic at Twice-Keen; Tri-Keen is just overkill).

tyckspoon
2012-03-16, 01:03 AM
You *can* have multiples of the same, but it doesn't do much useful- it falls under "Same effect multiple times", which tells you to just take the most effective one. So if you had Flaming X2, you'd roll 1d6 twice and take the higher result. It's really not worth the costs.

Edit: For non-variable properties, like Collision, you'd just be paying extra for no benefit whatsoever. As the other posters said, they aren't self-stacking.