PDA

View Full Version : High Magic, Low Magic Item

Othesemo
2012-03-15, 11:51 PM
So, I'm DMing a campaign now that (for once) I've completely planned out. Now, at the beginning of the plot (part 1, as it were), just about every enemy the PCs will fight is human (with two exceptions). Thus, the PCs will be getting a steady influx of magical items (even from those enemies they can't kill for political reasons). However, by part 3, almost nothing the PCs will be fighting will have much in the way of magic items or gold.

So, I had an idea. It's based off of a very good Neverwinter Nights 2 module (dark waters, I believe) in which the character learns certain at-will psionic/magic powers after several missions (such as a magic missile-esque bolt, or a wall of fire). Basically, I was thinking that a few encounters could, rather than giving items, grant the PCs some intrinsic benefit. I talked to the PCs, and they agreed that it sounded like a cool idea. Now, all I'm lacking is a balanced way to implement that. So, I ask the playground for ideas. Given that the PCs should be about 15th-18th level by this point, how would you handle such a system?

Flickerdart
2012-03-15, 11:54 PM
Most grafts tend to come from powerful creatures, so just put that demon arm on ice until you can get it stapled to your chest. The PCs may have employers who are paying them, or deities who are willing to grant them benefits of wish or miracle for doing their dirty work.

Endarire
2012-03-16, 02:08 AM
By this point, buffs are common. That's what I used, especially when DMing for this level range.

Othesemo
2012-03-16, 02:26 AM
By this point, buffs are common. That's what I used, especially when DMing for this level range.

Not as it were, in this party. It's balanced around tier 3, specifically utilizing the Samurai and Divine Stalker classes found on this forum (links are available from the list of Tier 3 Homebrew classes, which I'm too tired to find right now). The divine stalker doesn't have Divine Metamagic (yet) and has a limited spell list, meaning that the party probably couldn't rely on nothing but his spells.

Canarr
2012-03-16, 03:47 AM
Well, you can always work with magic items that scale with the wielder's level. As the PCs advance in level, additional powers of the items can be "unlocked"; either by simply levelling up, or performing a ritual, acquiring a specific component... plenty of options. That way, the items they gain in the first part of the campaign will continue to be useful in the later stages.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-16, 08:14 AM
One must ask if there is lots of magic why there isn't more magic items.
In first edition AD&D, creating permanent magic items drained your constitution score permanently, so it made a certain level of sense that magic items should be rare.
But D&D 3.X has no such rule.

mikau013
2012-03-16, 09:41 AM
One must ask if there is lots of magic why there isn't more magic items.
In first edition AD&D, creating permanent magic items drained your constitution score permanently, so it made a certain level of sense that magic items should be rare.
But D&D 3.X has no such rule.

Because wizards did it. No really.
Wizards don't like mundanes grabbing good magic items and thus be able to potentially threaten their summons, thus they'd rather destroy all magic items then for example sell them

hymer
2012-03-16, 09:58 AM
Have each new power key to a specific body slot (tattoos, even invisible ones, could probably do for fluff). As long as you have no magic item in the slot, your power works. Then the PCs can switch to magic items later on, when they start finding some really good ones. Or have the tattoos take precedence, but be removable with Erase.

Zubrowka74
2012-03-16, 10:42 AM
You could give them magical items powered by souls (Skyrim anyone ?) that gain abilities depending on what is inside at the moment. The more powerfull the soul, the nicer the ability. For example, a minor fire demon could grant fireballs or wall of fire while mindflayer might unlock domination or such.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-16, 10:46 AM
Because wizards did it. No really.
Wizards don't like mundanes grabbing good magic items and thus be able to potentially threaten their summons, thus they'd rather destroy all magic items then for example sell them
So rather than make goobs of money selling items that are no threat to them, money which could be used for spell research and items that can't be used by mundanes, they decide to just destroy magic items?

mikau013
2012-03-16, 12:03 PM
So rather than make goobs of money selling items that are no threat to them, money which could be used for spell research and items that can't be used by mundanes, they decide to just destroy magic items?

All magic items are a potential threat. Besides a wizard can create plenty of money without even having a single magic item :smallwink:

Jodah
2012-03-16, 12:18 PM
If you do go through with granting abilities, I would not let them be at will - especially things like fire wall. At will magic missile is a way for melee PCs to damage ghosts. At will fire wall is a way for the casters to never worry about combat again without having to waste spell slots. I would lessen it to something like 3 or 5 per day or 1/encounter for spells that will be too powerful at will.

Daer
2012-03-16, 12:20 PM
I think that is great idea. Loved those dark waters extra powers.

Perhaps you could give something bit stronger things to lower tier classes while wizards and cleric and other 1&2 tier classes would get something handy but not so strong.. like some lower spell at will.

for fighter kind classes, something to give mobility, boost damage or something like that.
and casters some attack spell from 1st or 2nd level. they can spam when they don't want to use their big guns. (well guess 1st and2nd would be pretty useless at that point. )

Something that fits to characters personality.

then if something seems too strong you might make it have x turns cooldown or once per encounter/day

edit:
perhaps look eberrons dragonmarks or fey/fiendish heritage (legacy and presence specially) feats to get some perspective. I know those aren't best feats but i like em.

Telonius
2012-03-16, 12:37 PM
I'd suggest slowly scaling it up, using the "Intelligent Item Powers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm)" list - but instead of granting the powers to the item, grant them to the characters. (For the "has ten ranks in" ones, you can choose to have ten virtual ranks in any of the skills given. It doesn't add 10 to skills you already have ranks in).

There are eight levels of intelligent item power, so maybe grant one step up every two encounters.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-16, 12:40 PM
All magic items are a potential threat. Besides a wizard can create plenty of money without even having a single magic item :smallwink:
How exactly?
Infinite money loops through selling conjured materials only work with DM who don't realize, or don't care about, supply and demand.

2xMachina
2012-03-16, 12:48 PM
You know... it would be fun to do:

Wall of Iron+Fabricate to weapons/armor
Incite war
Hire out services to destroy/steal supplies on both sides
Sell more Weapon/Armor.

Telonius
2012-03-16, 02:19 PM
Wizard mafia. "Nice sword there. Be a pity if a rust monster were to appear out of nowhere and eat it."

Godskook
2012-03-16, 02:46 PM
A crafter's guild, isolated artificers, or a bored dragon all make great sources of high-level magic items. In addition, gear that's 'booby trapped'(and thus, 'dumb' monsters don't use it) make for great hoard items.