PDA

View Full Version : Fun PF gestalts

BobVosh
2012-03-16, 01:04 AM
Curious what y'all would try if you had to make some gestalts.
I'm in 2 gestalt games now in RL due to shortage of members, and one is suppose to be super lethal evidently. So I will need back up thoughts beyond my current one.

Build in lethal: Monk 1//Druid 1 (going straight 20 both)
I went for the master of styles Monk, where I can take and use several stances at once. Lot of fun options there, and I can use my regular monk attacks with secondary natural weapons from wildshape when I get there. Fun stuff.

Kingmaker: The adventure path, obviously. I'm thinking synthesis summoner with the Dervish bard. Looks like it could be fun.

What else would synergize well, and be a lot of fun to play? Obviously nothing that would be impossible to explain fluff wise (if there are any).

tomjim
2012-03-16, 02:09 AM
With your Monk//Druid see if your GM will allow the Guided weapon enchantment. If so, slap that hog on an AoMF and pump your WIS for to hit, damage, AC, will save, ki pool and spell casting. Take the feat that lets you use your natural attacks as unarmed strikes for the style feats. Now you are in beast form with snake style, slamming someone every time they miss you.

A Synthesist// Paladin would be nice, crank your CHA up, use the Eidolon's physical stats, your saves and AC will be huge. Then max out your limbs/claws/size and smite evil with 5+ attacks each round. You still use your eidolon's BAB while in battle mode, but since you cranked CHA you will be getting +5 to hit while smiting starting at level 1. Take the oath of vengeance and extra lay on hands so you can smite all day. You will be an unstoppable damage machine.

There is a sorcerer archetype that uses WIS instead of CHA, that would also work well with Monk and the AoMF. Focus your sorcerer spells on self buffs and flurry like a boss, or focus on casting and benefit from great saves, much better AC and rock solid CMD.

A TWF fighter // ninja would also be really cool. Go human and you get the bonus level 1 feat, plus use your alternate class feature to get +1/6 of a rogue talent each level (since Ninjas are still rogues). You will be stacked with feats/ninja tricks. You get all the fighting feats you need from the fighter so you can take all the awesome ninja tricks too. Be invisible all the time, have darkvision, have a climb speed, etc. Plus enjoy sneak attack with full BAB, wep. focus, and weapon training. In the higher levels use your fighter feats for the critical hit line, dual wielding wakizashi with improved critical means you are averaging over one crit per full attack at level 11. The cap stone for that build is level 15 when you get blinding critical, as soon as you connect with a crit they start taking your 8d6 sneak attack damage on each hit. You have enough extra feats to shore up your low will save, your other saves are all strong and you have loads of skill points.

If you want to go the pure caster route, do Druid// WIS sorc. With natural spell you can cast all your sorc spells while wild shaped. Is that a bird 400 feet up in the air? Hard to say, but it is firing level 6 arcane magic at us all day, i wish we had a chance to hit it. This build will never run out of spells.

The other way to go with paladin//summoner is the master summoner route. Play it as a standard paladin, with the added bonus of the summoner's summon monster ability not suffering from arcane armor failure (since it is spell like, not an actual spell). That would work well with a small party, since you end up with way more dudes anyway. Use the eidolon as a skill monkey for whichever areas aren't covered.

There is a fighter archetype (i forget the name) that uses knowledge checks to increase damage, or to hit bonus, etc. Pair that with a wizard or the sage INT sorcerer and be your own magus. With mithral armor and arcane armor training (you can afford the feats with all the bonus fighter ones) you can wear medium armor at level 7 with no spell failure. Use the other fighter feats to get precise shot and weapon focus ray, improved critical ray, and now your caster is shooting ray spells at full BAB with a rock solid AC. I'm sure the enemies will enjoy dodging quickened maximized enervations that are targeting touch AC at +(guaranteed) to hit.

Bhaakon
2012-03-16, 02:44 AM
I've been thinking about a Zen Archer//Inquisitor build myself. Flurrying with bane arrows sounds fun, you only need to worry about one stat (Wis) and there are domains that grant you an animal companion to run interference.

grarrrg
2012-03-16, 07:46 AM
A Synthesist// Paladin would be nice, crank your CHA up, use the Eidolon's physical stats, your saves and AC will be huge. Then max out your limbs/claws/size and smite evil with 5+ attacks each round. You still use your eidolon's BAB while in battle mode, but since you cranked CHA you will be getting +5 to hit while smiting starting at level 1. Take the oath of vengeance and extra lay on hands so you can smite all day. You will be an unstoppable damage machine.

Oooo....so close.

What we want is ANTIPaladin.
Specifically, 3 levels to get Aura of Cowardice: Creatures within 10ft. get -4 saves vs. Fear and/or LOSE Immunity to fear.

Next, we want 18 levels of Synthesist (yes I know this adds to 21, we'll get to that) to be able to use Greater Aspect to add Frightful Presence to our self. Every creature within 30ft has to make a Will save or be Shaken for 3d6 rounds. The DC is 10+1/2 our HD+Cha, and it does NOT affect creatures of higher level then we are, hence why we need it on the Summoner, and NOT the Eidolon.
RULES QUESTION: If our DM let's our Frightful Presence "carry through", then we can (REALLY) dump our Physical stats and wear our Eidolon all the time. If not...well, that's where the OTHER half of the Gestalt comes in...

Oracle 14-18 levels, we can get Cha-to-AC from either the Nature Mystery, or the Lore Mystery, I prefer Lore, because then we can take the Revelation that gives us +Int, but either will work, or if you have a good enough Point-Buy to NOT dump your Physicals, then pick any Mystery you want.

The final 1-to-5 levels are for Agent of the Grave. Starting at level 1 of the PrC we can use Cha for HP instead of Con. Oracle will let us enter as early as Level 7.
The choice of how much Oracle/Agent is up to you, more Oracle gives another Revelation and more Mystery Spells, Agent of the Grave 5 let's you add a number of Necromancy spells from OTHER lists to your own.
We'll assume all 5 Agent levels for the final tally.

Race options are Human for additional Spells Known (Oracle), or Half-Elf for an extra 4 Evolution points.
Side A
Summoner (Synthesist) 18/Oracle +2
Side B
Oracle 6/Agent of the Grave 5/Oracle +6/Antipaladin 3
(feel free to delay the last level of Agent of the Grave, but not too much, as the spells are added to our LIST but not our KNOWNS)

6th level Summoner casting, 9th level Oracle casting, and 18th level Eidolon beatsticking.
Cha to all saves
Cha to AC
Cha to HP for 14 of our levels
Any nearby creatures with equal/lower HD are subject to Shaken or worse AND lose Immunity to Fear.

Yeah....

Axier
2012-03-16, 08:24 AM
Alchemist/Fighter
Fight like a WWI soldier with a lever action Repeating Crossbow and Grenades! Keep a couple Transfusions on you and make healing potions for a self reliant chemical soldier.

Alchemist/Gunslinger
Guns and Explosions! Nuff Said!

Alchemist/Ninja
Skilled assasin with alchemical tricks! Using bombs in emergencies, poisons for assasinations, and emergancy mutagens.

Alchemist/Ranger
Better survival skills through Alchemy!

BobVosh
2012-03-16, 06:16 PM
With your Monk//Druid see if your GM will allow the Guided weapon enchantment. If so, slap that hog on an AoMF and pump your WIS for to hit, damage, AC, will save, ki pool and spell casting. Take the feat that lets you use your natural attacks as unarmed strikes for the style feats. Now you are in beast form with snake style, slamming someone every time they miss you.
We used the beta version of half-orc so it is +2 str/wis -2 cha. I actually have great both, and already made the character. This would have been much better, and I have to look up that feat.

A Synthesist// Paladin would be nice, *snip* You still use your eidolon's BAB while in battle mode, but since you cranked CHA you will be getting +5 to hit while smiting starting at level 1.
Wait I have to use the eidolon's BAB when I have a better one? Weird, something that must be only gestalt problems lol.

There is a sorcerer archetype that uses WIS instead of CHA, that would also work well with Monk and the AoMF. Focus your sorcerer spells on self buffs and flurry like a boss, or focus on casting and benefit from great saves, much better AC and rock solid CMD.

A TWF fighter // ninja would also be really cool.
Hmm. Fighter/rogue is fairly common, but this seems a lot better than that is.

The other way to go with paladin//summoner is the master summoner route. Play it as a standard paladin, with the added bonus of the summoner's summon monster ability not suffering from arcane armor failure (since it is spell like, not an actual spell). That would work well with a small party, since you end up with way more dudes anyway. Use the eidolon as a skill monkey for whichever areas aren't covered. I've already done skill monkey eidilons, they humor me greatly.

There is a fighter archetype (i forget the name) that uses knowledge checks to increase damage, or to hit bonus, etc. Pair that with a wizard or the sage INT sorcerer and be your own magus.
I think wizard would be more important as you have all knowledges compared to the sorc's very limited list.

I've been thinking about a Zen Archer//Inquisitor build myself. Flurrying with bane arrows sounds fun, you only need to worry about one stat (Wis) and there are domains that grant you an animal companion to run interference.
I hate inquisitors, as there is more bookkeeping than I like. I tend to forget combat bonuses after a certain limit, and inquisitors quickly hit that number.

Alchemist/Fighter
Fight like a WWI soldier with a lever action Repeating Crossbow and Grenades! Keep a couple Transfusions on you and make healing potions for a self reliant chemical soldier.

Alchemist/Gunslinger
Guns and Explosions! Nuff Said!

Alchemist/Ninja
Skilled assasin with alchemical tricks! Using bombs in emergencies, poisons for assasinations, and emergancy mutagens.

Alchemist/Ranger
Better survival skills through Alchemy!
I'm sensing someone likes alchemists. :P
I like the flavor of the alchemist//fighter. Also ninja//alchemist fits far too well together to not give a try.

Particle_Man
2012-03-16, 06:45 PM
Barbarian/Witch might be interesting.

gorfnab
2012-03-16, 11:59 PM
TWF based Soulknife // Rogue - decent skills and DPS

Inquisitor // Gunslinger - Gun-slinging Bounty Hunter

Paladin // Bard (Arcane Duelist maybe?) - Cha focused mini Gish

Hunter Noventa
2012-03-17, 12:59 AM
If you have access to 3.5 material as well, I'm currently playing a Soulknife//Swordsage and it's been great fun. Lots of options, practically impossible to hit, Full BaB, and if you can add the martial school abilities to your Soul Blade and go with Mind Shield and Shadow Blade well...

My character is a catgirl. She is also the God Gundam. She is the only surviving original party member at this point. because she is THAT awesome.

Corlindale
2012-03-17, 02:49 AM
Wizard/Alchemist (Mindchemist Archetype)

Lots of Int synergy here. Mindchemist gives you Int twice to knowledge skills, making you the party lexicon with a minimun expenditure of skill points. Cognatogen (+ Greater/Grand later on) buffs your Int with alchemical bonuses, raising your save DCs higher than otherwise possibe.

Krazzman
2012-03-17, 03:51 AM
Barbarian(ANY) 20//Martial Artist 5/Twohandedfighter3+/ANYTHING YOU WANT

Monk(ANY) 20//Brawler 20

Both more Fun Builds.

BobVosh
2012-03-18, 02:26 AM
I'm having trouble finding the wisdom sorcerer archetype. What is it called? Or what book at least?

Ravens_cry
2012-03-18, 02:54 AM
I'm having trouble finding the wisdom sorcerer archetype. What is it called? Or what book at least?
Empyreal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/empyreal) is the archetype you are looking for.

Blyte
2012-03-18, 01:35 PM
Tetori Monk + White Haired Witch

nab a bunch of still spell meta-magic rods and rapid grapple people + cast spells.

Chained Birds
2012-03-18, 04:50 PM
How about (Anti)Paladin//Ninja.

Now you are both a tank and a skilled master of being Ninja!

Would be pretty epic seeing this character in Heavy Armor walking across Water or Lava like it were solid land, then vanishing before your eyes.

Ravens_cry
2012-03-18, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't mind being a Rogue//Gunslinger, especially with a friendly caster/ UMD wand of Greater Invisibility.

Hunter Noventa
2012-03-19, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't mind being a Rogue//Gunslinger, especially with a friendly caster/ UMD wand of Greater Invisibility.

Guns are seriously underpowered in pathfinder, the main factor being the cost. When it's cheaper to build something that uses Goats as ammo, you know you have a problem. It's not as big a deal at high levels, but at low levels, 1gp a shot can be a big deal.

navar100
2012-03-19, 08:46 AM
Witch/Oracle for the roleplay fun, but I'd settle for Sorcerer/Oracle if for whatever reason maxing out Intelligence and Charisma was problematic.

Paladin/Cleric to be a holy terror.

Fighter/Rogue - The skilled warrior with critical hit feats Power Attacking with a greatsword while flanking for sneak attack.

Barbarian/Druid - Wildshape into an animal with "rabies".

Chained Birds
2012-03-19, 08:54 AM

How about Ninja//Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger). Now you've got invisibility plus some other nifty tricks. Plus, now you're a Mysterious Ninja!

grarrrg
2012-03-19, 11:39 AM
Barbarian/Druid - Wildshape into an animal with "rabies".

Close the thread.

We have a winner.