PDA

View Full Version : Elder Evils in d20 Modern

Callos_DeTerran
2012-03-16, 02:04 AM
The title says it all. What's the forum's thoughts on using a creature from the Elder Evils book in a d20 Modern setting? The rules ARE compatible for the most part, I think the biggest problem is the sheer damage an Elder Evil can do with every attack (it's almost ALWAYS going to hit past the massive damage thresh-hold), their special attacks which aren't as easy to handle (negative levels, ability damage...there's no easy spell to fix things like that), and their own impressive defenses like DR, fast healing, and regeneration. Difficult things to bypass in d20 Modern, though not impossible.

On the other hand, I think modern characters would have some advantages over them. For one, modern militaries could actually be helpful. And the idea of a flight of attack helicopters unleashing a salvo of missiles on the aspect of Atropus makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. There's modern weapons that can do significant damage to an Elder Evil, but not many that can outright kill it. Even a small-yield nuclear weapon won't take out some of the larger Elder Evils, if the PCs can even muster one against it, which...with the chaos their signs cause, is unlikely.

So why am I thinking about this? Honestly? No idea. It just occurred to me. I think there's some real potential here for mixing the two, just not sure how yet. Obviously the best course of action would be to allow FX material from many sources, they'd help level the playing field and would fit with the flavor of the setting if Elder Evils are coming around to play. There's a lot more chances for big fight scenes that actually accomplish something. An army of pikemen can't do much against an Elder Evil or some of the minions they can have, but grenades, rockets, explosives, etc. definitely could. It gives a sense of the NPCs being able to fight back, if however futiley...Also partially because the signs become all the more devastating. Blood moon? Suddenly people are taking a lot more pot-shots at world leaders. the Dead Rising one uhhh...does this need to be spelled out?, weird weather? We have enough problems with normal catastrophic weather these days. Etc. etc.

But what does the playground think of mixing the two?

Kuma Kode
2012-03-16, 02:15 AM
This suggestion, of course, reminds me of Cthulhu.

There's no real reason why there can't be, especially if sitting back and shooting them with a tank is an option (most of the Elder Evils were designed expecting melee and close range magic, it seems). It would definitely be a great campaign if pulled-off, and significantly leveled d20 Modern heroes are not necessarily weak, especially if you allow FX.

One of my favorite combinations of modern tech + magic was in Eternal Darkness : Sanity's Requiem. The idea of enchanting elephant guns and assault rifles with black magick made me giddy (it was effective as hell, too).

Tanuki Tales
2012-03-16, 01:32 PM
Sounds like someone wants to play some Hellboy. :smallwink:

Draken
2012-03-16, 09:14 PM
All but Pandorym could probably work, but they would be borderline invincible, most likely.

Pandorym, however, on grounds of his mind (shards) being incorporeal, would probably be invincible.

Anderlith
2012-03-16, 09:45 PM
Sounds a lot like Hellboy. Try to replicate as much lore as you can while staying within the rules of the D20 Modern. You'll probably need the Supernatural book & the Old Tech book, I can't remember their names though

D_Lord
2012-03-16, 09:48 PM
Pandorym would be unstoppable if it ever got it's mind and body together. In the book you just fight a little piece of it's mind, and it's still deadly, the full mind, would be like mind crush everything, and if it got it's body which is like a huge sphere of nothingness that destroys about anything by touching it, Campaign World over man, game over man.

Other wise this sounds awesome!

Callos_DeTerran
2012-03-16, 10:04 PM
All but Pandorym could probably work, but they would be borderline invincible, most likely.

Pandorym, however, on grounds of his mind (shards) being incorporeal, would probably be invincible.

The good thing about allowing FX for this is that it means the PCs will likely have access to magic, psionics, and other nifty stuff. Will it be enough? Eh....debatable. But it'd at least give the PC's a chance to fight back against an incorporeal Elder Evil like Pandorym.

...And I'll admit, Hellboy is an influence but a bigger one is the old Wizard's card game Hectacomb and the novel Kraken. Anyone remember that? It was, essentially, about cults waging war to see who got to end the world with which horrible abomination.