PDA

View Full Version : Mounts for ogres

SilverLeaf167
2012-03-16, 02:38 AM
What monsters would you consider as appropriate mounts for ogres? Naturally, the minimum size would be Huge. I'd like them to be something cool and capable of invoking an "oh ****" reaction from the players, but not too powerful or bizarre. Some magical beast would be the best.

I have access to most books.

Talakeal
2012-03-16, 02:41 AM
What monsters would you consider as appropriate mounts for ogres? Naturally, the minimum size would be Huge. I'd like them to be something cool and capable of invoking an "oh ****" reaction from the players, but not too powerful or bizarre. Some magical beast would be the best.

I have access to most books.

In my campaign world ogres have always ridden Rhinoceros. Nothing says awesome like an ogre on a war rhino.

Knaight
2012-03-16, 02:42 AM
I favor Bulettes and Elephants, though that really only works for classed ogres.

SilverLeaf167
2012-03-16, 02:47 AM
In my campaign world ogres have always ridden Rhinoceros. Nothing says awesome like an ogre on a war rhino.
:smallconfused:
A rhinoceros is too small for an ogre to ride... unless there's a dire variant somewhere.

I favor Bulettes and Elephants, though that really only works for classed ogres.
Either of those might work.
I'll probably have to accept that it's hard to find a huge beast with a CR lower than that.

Taelas
2012-03-16, 02:48 AM
Hydras might work. Five-headed hydra is Huge with CR4.

Rhaegar14
2012-03-16, 02:57 AM
MM3. Battletitan Dinosaur. Tremble in terror.

Or if CR 16 is too much, some other kind of dinosaur would still be pretty awesome.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-03-16, 03:14 AM
Dire Bear
Elephant
Dire Rhinoceros
Dire Shark (Aquatic Ogre)
Bullette
Ankheg
Greater Barghest
Behir
Chimera
Megaraptor
Triceratops
Gorgon
Monstrous Scorpion

A few things would depend on how big the ogre is, and whether or not he rides it, or takes it into battle with him...

Dire Worgs as WarDogs would add just a bit to the Challenge Rating, I would think. :smallwink:

Acanous
2012-03-16, 03:16 AM
Elephants make for awesome mounts. My DM wouldn't let me have one :<

Knaight
2012-03-16, 06:45 AM
I'll probably have to accept that it's hard to find a huge beast with a CR lower than that.
Huge and Low CR mounts are somewhat rare, yes. Those seemed the most obvious - though it occurs to me now that there might be some fairly low CR vermin.

CTrees
2012-03-16, 07:19 AM
Huge and Low CR mounts are somewhat rare, yes. Those seemed the most obvious - though it occurs to me now that there might be some fairly low CR vermin.

That Damn Crab is large and CR3... what's the CR of a huge version?

I mean, besides just by applying PF's Giant template to make it Huge and CR4, because that's just mean (also because if we're mixing editions, PF's Shark-Eating Crab should probably be used instead, at CR7)

hymer
2012-03-16, 07:29 AM
@ Knaight: Huge centipede is merely CR 2. The huge scorpion is CR 7 (very stylish mount I think). And a huge spider is CR 5.

Swooper
2012-03-16, 08:09 AM
Dire Bear
I second this. Because ogre bear cavalry (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EverythingsWorseWithBears) would be awesome.

Taelas
2012-03-16, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately, Dire Bears are only Large. They won't grow to Huge until 17 HD.

Talakeal
2012-03-16, 08:40 AM
A rhinoceros is too small for an ogre to ride... unless there's a dire variant somewhere.

There were in the real world, I can't imagine there aren't in D&D, probably frost burn or the dreaded MM 2.

Thurbane
2012-03-16, 10:21 PM
For jungle Ogres, how about an advanced (13 HD+) Tiger?

gomipile
2012-03-17, 02:13 PM

"Advancement: 9-12 HD (Large); 13-24 HD (Huge)"