PDA

View Full Version : Doppleganger Ardent Build Ideas?

StChristophear
2012-03-16, 01:09 PM
I'm fairly new to DnD. I've only played one or two campaigns that were all using only the core 3.5 books, but this new one that my friend is starting is different because I get to use pretty much any 3.5 book I feel like -- so I'm looking to take advantage of this.

What I've chosen to be is a doppleganger. (The race with the level 4 level adjustment, not the monster class)

I'm also anxious to try out the psionics class Ardent, so I'm looking here for some ideas of how I should build my character including how should I spend my points (42 point by system, all ability scores start off with 8 automatically), what kind of feats I should take, what mantles I should invest time into, etc.

So what are your suggestions for my character. Please keep in mind I'm looking to be a good damage dealer who will rely on his psionic power more than he would rely on an actual weapon, but I'd like to be able to do some other neat tricks with it that will help myself and the party out.

eggs
2012-03-16, 02:10 PM
So what are your suggestions for my character. Please keep in mind I'm looking to be a good damage dealer who will rely on his psionic power more than he would rely on an actual weapon, but I'd like to be able to do some other neat tricks with it that will help myself and the party out.
Basically, not to go Doppelganger.

A Level 1 Doppelganger Ardent is a 9th level character (4 LA+4 HD+1 Ardent Level) with the same base attack bonus of a Wizard of the same level, but fewer hit points and feats and 4 power/spell levels behind.

The Monster Manual 3 (as well as Eberron Campaing Setting) has the Changeling race, which is almost identical to a Doppelganger with toned-down stats, but with 0 racial hit die and 0 LA.

A Changeling with the Metamorphosis power (available from the Natural World Mantle) will be able to shapeshift into humanoid forms through its own racial power, and shapeshift into items and monsters through psionics at level 7 (1 level before a classless Doppelganger would even be able to show up in a campaign) - and instead of worrying about the health risks of a stiff breeze, it would actually have some kick to back it up.

Bloodgruve
2012-03-16, 02:41 PM
As eggs said, run Changeling not Doppelganger.

The Energy mantle is the blaster mantle. You can take a 1st lvl power and augment it at 20th level for good effect.

The Freedom mantle is almost a must with all of the teleports and especially Dimension Hop and Hustle.

Look at the Ardent ACF's (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) Substitute Power and Dominant Ideal. Both are worth taking. Substitute Power lets you add and subtract powers if they fit the mantle, its kinda like cheating ;), Dominant Ideal lets you use Linked Power feat to manifest Dimension Hop as a swift action linked with another power without losing your focus and -2 pp cost. Not 100% sure if both powers need to be Freedom or not though. Still making a lot of gain in the action economy.

I ran an Ardent Gish and had a great time with it, it was more melee/mobility based with natural weapons.

GL
Blood~

StChristophear
2012-03-16, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately I don't have the option to change at this point. So what can I do with what I've already got.

EDIT

My DM runs individual "prologue campaigns" with each of the playersbefore their characters meet up for the party. Mine is already underway so I am unable to change what I've got thus far.

Bloodgruve
2012-03-16, 03:38 PM
Maybe your Doppelganger gets demoted to Changeling, or you're a wannabe Doppelganger in a Changelings body? Either that or your stuck with Doppelganger Ardent 12 at lvl 20 :/

I believe that changelings stem from doppelganger stock so they are related.

I would beg and plead to switch to a race that doesn't eat up 8 levels. Or accidentally die and reroll...

GL
Blood~

eggs
2012-03-16, 03:42 PM
Okay. In that case, this is more a job for damage control than anything. And there's a lot of damage to control. Doppelganger is terrible.

The only way I see to make this work is blatant system abuse. Take Hidden Talent (Synchronicity) and Link Power with your first two feats, and Psionic Meditation whenever you get your third (effective character level 10). Link Synchronicities to Synchronicities for extra standard actions per round of the filthiest kind; use those extra actions to use Wands (via Magic Mantle) and Dorjes to act as a general support and blasting character. With a few inexpensive magic items like Dorjes of Energy Missile or Wands of Targeting Ray, you could probably get a decent damage output, just by having more actions than anyone else.