PDA

View Full Version : Arcane equivalent of two size category Expansion/Compression?

gomipile
2012-03-16, 02:16 PM
Augmented Expansion and augmented Compression, which change the user by two size categories, cost the same as level 4 powers. Greater Enlarge Person doesn't even change the size category, just the duration, and it is level 5.

Are there arcane equivalents to augmented Expansion and Compression for changes of 2 size categories?

Vizzerdrix
2012-03-16, 02:18 PM
I think the Wu Jen has a 7th level spell that can do this.

Hirax
2012-03-16, 02:29 PM
I think the Wu Jen has a 7th level spell that can do this.

That would be giant size in Complete Arcane. The closest wizards have is polymorph and the like.

gomipile
2012-03-16, 02:48 PM
I know arcane casters don't need new nice things, but doesn't it seem a bit strange for there not to be better versions of Enlarge/Reduce?

Godskook
2012-03-16, 03:00 PM
It should be noted that Giant Size is not an 'increase', but rather just 'does' change your size to Huge/Gargantuan/Collosal, meaning that the power of the spell is 'absolute', rather than 'relative'.

Also, Miracle is at least one method of utilizing the spell without actually having it(Wish's 'core' wording locks it out), and it would be quite potent on a cleric with DMM(Persist).

deuxhero
2012-03-16, 04:05 PM
It should be noted that Giant Size is not an 'increase', but rather just 'does' change your size to Huge/Gargantuan/Collosal, meaning that the power of the spell is 'absolute', rather than 'relative'.

Hence Pun-Pun.

Vizzerdrix
2012-03-16, 04:19 PM
That would be giant size in Complete Arcane.

Okay, so slap it on a Drake Helm and hand it off to the wizard/sorc.

UMD it on a scepter/rod

Godskook
2012-03-16, 10:30 PM
Hence Pun-Pun.

Uh, no, Pun-pun has nothing to do with what I said. All of his tricks work just fine with Enlarge Person(Giant Size does make it faster, but that's both beside the point and immaterial to what I said).

(Afaik, you can also make Pun-Pun's infinite stats via the animal's affinity spells, even)

Coidzor
2012-03-16, 10:35 PM
I know arcane casters don't need new nice things, but doesn't it seem a bit strange for there not to be better versions of Enlarge/Reduce?

Yeah. When it's come up it's generally not been considered out of line to do the whole research a new spell for your game thing on it, usually like a 3rd or 4th level spell, IIRC.

Hirax
2012-03-16, 10:36 PM
Well giant size is still one of the best strength boosts in the game for a gish. If you can miracle it in via arcane disciple (luck) as a wizard, then you can cast polymorph to set your strength score to something in the 30s, then cast bite of the werebear and giant size for 80ish strength easily.