PDA

View Full Version : Shenanigans

7RED7
2012-03-16, 07:05 PM
One of the guys I DM for has started his first campaign and he's running 4e. I'm definitely a little rusty on it as I haven't played or payed attention to it much for the last couple years. I chose a battlemind because I either hadn't paid it any mind when it came out, or it simply didn't exist back then and I wanted to give it a shot. I enjoyed the fact that it had a lot of strange options like movement triggered by rolling for initiative, or being able to dump 15 temp hp on the party. The only catch is that focusing on all the shenanigans makes it less effective at performing in a singular role. Fortunately I found out that another friend in the party has been playing a battlemind as well and has focused on the core defender abilities. So I want to go full shenanigans and try to make better use of the more reality bending abilities.

Has anyone found any interesting feat/power combos to allow for improbable mischief? Are there any overlooked powers here that you've managed to make interesting use of?

Current character is an L4 Half-Elf Battlemind.

Zaq
2012-03-17, 11:03 AM
You're going to have to be more specific about what you mean. Speed of Thought, for example, is hardly "shenanigans;" it's a base feature of the class. What are you looking for, really?

7RED7
2012-03-18, 11:07 AM
Well, I guess I mean acting outside the normal flow of the game. If I can get free moves before initiative then can I use feats or other abilities to allow me to take some action that makes the move more useful beyond positioning. Are there ways to use the other powers, or supplement them with feats to make them function in ways that don't fit expected results, but are still functional.

The character I'm playing is Umutuku:The N-Dimensional Warrior (from another dimension) who just sort of pops into reality and asks those in need to "Please state the nature of the martial emergency". I really want to play up the whole 'outside the natural order' thing.

He won't allow a witchalok http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/preview_witchalok.pdf but I still want to shoot for a similar level of wtf.

Dust
2012-03-18, 07:42 PM
What a shame. If there was one person I'd say deserves to play a Witchalok, it'd be you.

Make sure you look at the Dark Sun battlemind powers, such as the level 5 Wild Speed. A lot of them sacrifice useful defender-ness for being generally unusual. If allowed to remake, you could also look being a Hybrid just for some especially zany turns (that aren't remotely optimized).