PDA

View Full Version : Maximize + Burning Weapon = cool?

Tricnic
2012-03-16, 07:46 PM
First off, yes, I know there are better combos out there, but this one caught my attention.

I was looking through the Spell Compendium when I came across Burning Weapon. It gives the weapon the same effect as the Flaming burst weapon enhancement (1D6 Fire damage +1D10 / (multiplier - 1) on crits) and even stacks with the energy enhancements.

Maximize Spell maximizes the variable, numeric effects of the spell.

Seems to me that this spell could be maximized to do 6 Fire damage on every hit and 10 * (multiplier - 1) on crits.

Is this valid? I can't find any rule to say no.

I think it'd be fun to maximize this (Or Weapon of Energy) on the Thri-kreen's Scimitars for up to 110 (average) damage each round for 16 min at level 16. (6 * 13 attacks + 10 * 13 attacks * 25% crit chance)

Combo this with Greater Slide to make sure the Thri-kreen can get his full attack each round and you have a decent combo.

Wookie-ranger
2012-03-16, 11:27 PM
sounds powerful, but not over-powered.

Maximize raises the Spell level by 3, that is a very valuable spell slot at level 16 (or any level really). So the high damage is accompanied by the loss of a spell that could be equally 'encounter ending'.
16 min (at level 16) will last for an entire encounter, may be two, so this is very nice! but then it is gone, and most likely for the rest of the day, unless you prepared it twice. it will also take the wizard one round to cast, and the melee one round to not attack. that is one round where two PCs are not fighting, that can be rough at high levels.
with all that it is still a very nice damage boost.

Lose a high level spell slot to give the Melee a very nice Dps boost? sounds like the definition of God-style wizard to me.

Tricnic
2012-03-17, 01:52 AM
Of course, with Easy Metamagic (Dragon 333 I think), and Practical Metamagic (Races of the Dragon), it's now just 1 level higher at the cost of 2 feats.

Add to that Imp initiative, Initiative boosting items and a little love from the D20, you get to act before the melee.

I just might have to get myself the Leadership feat as a Sorc, get a Thri-kreen cohort and combo with him. :smalltongue:

Edit: I just realized, it's one weapon touched, not all weapons that the target holds... That just popped my bubble. :smallfrown:

Zaq
2012-03-17, 10:08 AM
Of course, with Easy Metamagic (Dragon 333 I think), and Practical Metamagic (Races of the Dragon), it's now just 1 level higher at the cost of 2 feats.

Add to that Imp initiative, Initiative boosting items and a little love from the D20, you get to act before the melee.

I just might have to get myself the Leadership feat as a Sorc, get a Thri-kreen cohort and combo with him. :smalltongue:

Edit: I just realized, it's one weapon touched, not all weapons that the target holds... That just popped my bubble. :smallfrown:

If you're already playing around with metamagic reducers, see if you can slap Chain on there somehow.

Alleine
2012-03-17, 01:57 PM
Maximize + Burning Weapon is actually = hot. Burning weapon and all that :smallwink:

deuxhero
2012-03-17, 01:59 PM
Bah! Real men apply fell drain!

Wookie-ranger
2012-03-17, 02:06 PM
Bah! Real men apply fell drain!

wait... can you do that?
it says that it can be applied to 'a spell that deals damage to foes'. does this spell deal damage or does it enhance a weapon?

I am WFB right now, so i cannot read the text...
what school is it? enchantment, evocation, conjuration (seriously, they get some really random spells)

Flickerdart
2012-03-17, 02:07 PM
The spell never deals damage (the weapon does), so Fell Drain doesn't work.

TroubleBrewing
2012-03-18, 12:09 AM
The spell never deals damage (the weapon does), so Fell Drain doesn't work.

I was all prepared to argue this, based on the "negative levels cause HP loss" clause, but then I re-read the quote.

True story, kids. Always look before you clutter the internet with arguments.