PDA

View Full Version : Odd Fighter Ideas? (3.5)

Dragrun
2012-03-16, 11:44 PM
Exactly as title says, but only have some books to use. They are:

Core, MM 2 & 3, EPH, Libris Mortis, Drow of the underdark, Tome & Blood, Oriental Adventures, and thats all i can remember for now.

Would the playground mind helpin a noob out? thx

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-17, 12:00 AM
So do you want to be...

Someone who uses some version or other of the Fighter class as a primary thing?

Or someone who uses mundane strength of arms as their main schtick?

Or someone who is competent in melee with a weapon, in some way or other?

Also.

Starting level? Are you allowed to use the free online stuff? Starting gold? Point buy? Any more clarification of the sort of character you have in your head? What is the composition of the group? The optimization level? The background of the campaign?

Dragrun
2012-03-17, 11:42 AM
Idk, i generally use fighter and i love crowd control, especially with odd weapons. looking for a ECL 20 character, preferably with no LA. No online content (dont want to bother with that) Starting gold 760k gp , Elite array used. this is a character i use in a localized arena where i live, so that kinda what im workin with.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-17, 12:01 PM
Assuming only PHB/DMG/MM1/MM2/MM3/XPH/LM/DotU/T&B/OA are your sources...

Hmmm.

Perhaps Psychic Warrior 20? T&B and OA are 3.0e sources, not 3.5e. Much (but not all) T&B stuff was updated in Complete Warrior. Much of OA was updated in Dragon Magazine 318.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-17, 12:03 PM
Only use daggers. Have dozens of daggers you throw or stab people regularly with.

Or just only take the feat toughness.

Dragrun
2012-03-17, 12:04 PM
cool might use some weapon like a greatsword and charge in like Leeroy.......

and WIN

Dragrun
2012-03-17, 12:05 PM
Dr. Epic that would be great for trolling ill remember that when i build a rogue.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-17, 12:07 PM
Dr. Epic that would be great for trolling ill remember that when i build a rogue.

I once did something like that with a barbarian. He had 20 daggers, a warhammer, a club, and 2 battle axes. He was covered in weapons.

Red_Dog
2012-03-17, 12:23 PM
Perhaps give a "mildly psychic warrior" a try?

Here is the shtick =>

Have Hidden Talent and a Concentration skill.

Expand focus on a fullBAB class and powerattack up to maximum, than next(or this) turn regain focus w/ a move action. For added perc, try Using Complete warrior's Combat Brute to next turn be able to Power attack w/ x3 mod without loosing BAB! The best part about the build? You do not need to actually charge. ^^
*You can pick up Ghost attack in order to deal w/ pesky ghosts who laugh at your ubber touch attacks w/ there obscene touch AC.*

Funny enough, this build works best w/ a ranger who swapped his combat style for wildshape (for scouting, sneaking, etc. mostly).

Ranger gets you concentration and a cool skill list over all w/ heaps of points and full BAB. The only true issue => you can't pick up Psionic meditation until bleeding lvl9 unless you dip Psychic warrior.

Keep in mind, this build is a novelty, not an number squeezer ^^.

deuxhero
2012-03-17, 12:31 PM
Horizon Tripper?

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-17, 02:13 PM
Horizon Tripper?

I was thinking about that, but he DOES have more books than just that available...

deuxhero
2012-03-17, 03:14 PM
Problem is half his non-srd stuff is magic focused, and I can't recall much out of OA beyond IF for melee. That just leaves DotU, and unless he is Evil, I don't see him getting much use out of the poison and potentially intimidate.

If he is evil though, Ranger 1/Fighter x/Blackguard and givign your fiendish servant Hidden Talent: Psionic Minor Creation isn't bad.

Shadowknight12
2012-03-17, 03:19 PM
Play a Transmuter under a constant Shapechange effect to look like a fighter.

Play a Conjurer 19/Fighter 1, spam Gate, insist you're totally a Fighter.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-17, 03:23 PM
Well DotU gives Hit and Run fighter...

Also, you can argue that the poison=evil thing is a MAJOR logical inconsistency in D&D. After all, what is unconsciousness/unconsciousness poison but a medical anesthetic?? They also say that they cause undue suffering, but most poisons aren't lethal, and stabbing someone causes lots of suffering too...

Well if you want to charge in like Leeroy and win, AND you don't want to be magical... you will need more sources than you have listed.

deuxhero
2012-03-17, 03:27 PM
The problem isn't that poison is evil, it's that as far as I know, it's that a lot of the stuff that can make it useful is.

I guess Human Hit and Run Fighter with Master of Poisons and Hidden Talent: Psionic Minor Creation can work for a few levels, but there is no way to build upon it like an evil dood can with his book limits.

Marlowe
2012-03-18, 09:54 AM
That's an odd set of books to have....

If you can find a copy of Complete Arcane somewhere, take a single warlock level, take Spiderwalk as your one invocation. Use a reach weapon. Do all your fighting hanging from the ceiling poking the enemy from above. Use the Thug variant of fighter so you trade in your Med/Hvy armour proficiencies for some actual skills.

If you take two warlock levels, take Baleful Utterance. Be a Half-Orc, shatter everybody's lanterns. Try to be the only person around with darkvision.

Wear a black cloak with a horned cowl over your masterwork studded leather and claim to be a superhero.

Alternatively, take dodge, mobility, and spring attack and take one Cleric level (worshipping Xan Yae). Take the Celerity and War domains for bonus weapon focus Falchion and +10 speed in light armour. Cast Expeditious retreat on yourself before fights. Charge 70 ft and spring back another 70 ft every round. Take a scout level as well to boost your damage with skirmish. See how long you can keep doing this before you're voted the most annoying 3rd level character ever.

nedz
2012-03-18, 01:15 PM
That's an odd set of books to have....

If you can find a copy of Complete Arcane somewhere, take a single warlock level, take Spiderwalk as your one invocation. Use a reach weapon. Do all your fighting hanging from the ceiling poking the enemy from above. Use the Thug variant of fighter so you trade in your Med/Hvy armour proficiencies for some actual skills.

If you take two warlock levels, take Baleful Utterance. Be a Half-Orc, shatter everybody's lanterns. Try to be the only person around with darkvision.

Wear a black cloak with a horned cowl over your masterwork studded leather and claim to be a superhero.

Alternatively, take dodge, mobility, and spring attack and take one Cleric level (worshipping Xan Yae). Take the Celerity and War domains for bonus weapon focus Falchion and +10 speed in light armour. Cast Expeditious retreat on yourself before fights. Charge 70 ft and spring back another 70 ft every round. Take a scout level as well to boost your damage with skirmish. See how long you can keep doing this before you're voted the most annoying 3rd level character ever.

These are good ideas, as is anything which makes you less mundane.
CArc contains quite a few options, I'm not entirly sure if its available ?
There are a number of things you can do with just two levels of Warlock which will give you an interesting flavour. Eldritch Blast is not particularly useful for you, this is slightly better for scouts and rogues.

Dipping Sorceror (or Wizard) can open even more options. Access to things like Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat, Fist of Stone, etc can be useful, though there are any number of spells you could choose. You would want to take Practiced Spellcaster with this obviously.

Spending your non-fighter feats on mainly non-mundane options is quite good. This leaves your fighter feats for combat stuff, though you might need to spend a few of the early ones here.
There are the Fey and Fiendish Heratage traits, again from CArc, which would give you several SLAs. There are also feats here which can add two cantrips and a 1st level spell as SLAs - once per day.

You can also make an undead hunter using various feats.
You could dip one level of Ranger for Favoured Enemy (Undead) which opens up a couple of anti-undead Exalted feats.

Well these are just a few ways of making your character an arcane fighter, but there are a bunch more things you can do with other class combinations. Your question is too open for solid advice really.

That_guy_there
2012-03-18, 03:53 PM
Only use daggers. Have dozens of daggers you throw or stab people regularly with.

Or only use Bastard Swords instead.:smallbiggrin:

Make a guy who only fights with thrown Bastard Swords via the Throw Anything Feat.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-18, 03:59 PM
The problem isn't that poison is evil, it's that as far as I know, it's that a lot of the stuff that can make it useful is.

How do you feel about swords? Fireballs? Blade Barriers? Inflict Wounds?