PDA

View Full Version : Class division - power source

Adamaro
2012-03-17, 07:22 AM
Different classes have different sources of becoming these classes. Fighters may be trained by experienced fighters, wizards will learn from other wizards. Then are those who will just be born with certain powers (sorcerers, warlocks) and those whos' divine devotion will make them vessels of principles and powers of their god (clerics, paladins).

I'd kindly ask playground to help me divide the following classes regarding origin of their class:

Erudite

Archivist
Dread Necromancer
Soulknife
Swordsage

Spellthief
Psionic Warrior
Wildshape Variant Ranger
Hexblade

I have made this rough division of classes i know, myself, but any and all changes and observations are welcome.

Learned(by someone else):
Duskblade
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter (Dungeoncrasher Variant)
Knight
Warblade
Monk
Samurai
Rokugan Ninja
Swashbuckler
Ninja
Scout
Marshal
Spellthief
Bard
Warmage
Binder
Artificer
Beguiler

Learned(by himself)
Factotum
Barbarian
Rogue
Ranger

Born with:
Sorcerer
Psion
Warlock
Favored Soul

Gained via religius devotion:
Druid
Crusader
Cleric
Favored Soul
Paladin

Edited as suggested.

hushblade
2012-03-17, 07:37 AM
Well I think Favored souls would fall more into the "born with" category since they need not even worship the deity that grants their power. I don't think Barbarian necessarily falls into the "learned" category as you described it(Learning from others adept at it) but rather a self-taught sort of thing. Perhaps divide learned into self-taught and learned under someone?

Waddacku
2012-03-17, 10:22 AM
As hushblade said, Favored Souls are supposedly born with their power (which is why I have no idea why they have to stay close to their deity alignmentwise).
On the other hand, Warlocks are stated to acquire their power through pacts with otherwordly creatures. It's not inborn.

123456789blaaa
2012-03-17, 11:10 AM
As hushblade said, Favored Souls are supposedly born with their power (which is why I have no idea why they have to stay close to their deity alignmentwise).
On the other hand, Warlocks are stated to acquire their power through pacts with otherwordly creatures. It's not inborn.

:smallconfused:

Warlocks gain their power through their bloodline.

Adamaro
2012-03-18, 01:02 PM
Warlocks can get power via bloodline or pact with the devil. As for favored souls, I understand the thing somehow like this: God sees that certain child will be an embodiment of his principles and thus this child becomes favored soul.

Khedrac
2012-03-18, 02:28 PM
Personally I would put Favored Soul into "Granted by Deity" and not born with (unless the granting is back then).

According to the official fluff Duskblades come from humans who spent way too much time trying to learn to be elves (OD&D anyone?) which wold suggest theit power should be learnt (like wizards) even though they cast as sorcerors. Perhaps we should read it as they have to learn how to manifest their inner (i.e. born-with) power?

Adamaro
2012-03-19, 09:14 AM
Tnx so far. 9 more classes to be divided. :smalltongue: I hope someone helps with these too.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-03-19, 09:22 AM
Warmages are typically trained in a college (the layout of which is actually provided in the Complete Arcane entry for Warmage).

Factotums are self-taught, but I believe Beguilers are innate... You might want to verify that, though.

The "taught" category is large enough that you might want to further split it between "self-taught" and "taught by another". For instance, Factotums just kind of go around and teach themselves useful tricks, as do most Rogues, but a Monk kind of has a more rigid adherence to order and regimented, structured training.

I don't know that Barbarians are a learned thing at all; rage seems like something very innate and primal to me.

Adamaro
2012-03-20, 10:44 AM
Edited once again, bumping and hoping for some more help. :smalltongue:

Pilo
2012-03-20, 10:54 AM
Learned(by someone else) : Beguiler (see beguiler class it says something about beguiler spy schools)

Telonius
2012-03-20, 11:14 AM
I could see Binder being learned by self/learned by others/or some weird subset of "gained by devotion." Apprenticed to another Binder, finds it in some occult writing that's been lost for hundreds of years, semi-accidentally summons up a Vestige and gets slowly enamored by the power.

Artificer, I'd say could either be self-taught, learned from others, or born with. I can certainly see an "engineering school" being the norm, as could somebody who just loves gizmos enough that they eventually figure out how to "artifice." But artificers that crop up on their own, Spark (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20050422)-style, could certainly happen.