PDA

View Full Version : Teleport in mid-air

Silma
2012-03-17, 11:03 AM
Hey playgrounders!!!

So I have a question. I play an eladrin teleport-happy assault-swordmage.
So, my questions is: can i use powers like fey step (with eladrin swordmage advance), dual lightning strike, lightning strider etc, to teleport high in the air, attack and then teleport back to the ground?

Surrealistik
2012-03-17, 11:26 AM
Hey playgrounders!!!

So I have a question. I play an eladrin teleport-happy assault-swordmage.
So, my questions is: can i use powers like fey step (with eladrin swordmage advance), dual lightning strike, lightning strider etc, to teleport high in the air, attack and then teleport back to the ground?

If the teleport is part of an attack, I'd say so. If it's not, and you teleport first, THEN attack, you'd fall before being able to attack as part of resolving the movement I believe.

Silma
2012-03-17, 11:55 AM
Dual Lightning Strike says you attack and then teleport and attack, so yes it IS part of the attack. Same for Lightning Strider.
As for Fey Step, it is a move action that lets u teleport 5 squares, and then make a mba as a free action.

I don't care if I fall after the attack.

Surrealistik
2012-03-17, 01:26 PM
Dual Lightning Strike says you attack and then teleport and attack, so yes it IS part of the attack. Same for Lightning Strider.
As for Fey Step, it is a move action that lets u teleport 5 squares, and then make a mba as a free action.

I don't care if I fall after the attack.

As long as it's part of the attack is what I'm saying, so you know how to resolve further similar questions.

Tegu8788
2012-03-17, 01:31 PM
I recall reading that to teleport you had to go from one solid surface that you wouldn't fall from to another solid surface you wouldn't fall from in the PHB1. Errata or memory error, or specific overruling general, could change this.

Kurald Galain
2012-03-17, 02:48 PM
teleport high in the air, attack and then teleport back to the ground?

By the rules, no (you'd fall as soon as you teleport into the air, with no time to attack). However, I'd allow it because it's cool, assuming you're not going to do the same trick all the time.

Surrealistik
2012-03-17, 03:56 PM
By the rules, no (you'd fall as soon as you teleport into the air, with no time to attack). However, I'd allow it because it's cool, assuming you're not going to do the same trick all the time.

Even when the attack and teleport are part of the same action? Pretty sure the entire action would have to resolve before falling happens unless otherwise stated, unless there's a passage in the rules I'm missing.

WickerNipple
2012-03-17, 10:21 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised that this is not what I expected this thread to be about.

I want to say you can probably do what I think you're trying to do, but: It's a big vague. Please spell out exactly what you're trying to do in exact order with whatever applicable feats/items/etc apply. I think we can make it happen.

Silma
2012-03-17, 10:41 PM
I recall reading that to teleport you had to go from one solid surface that you wouldn't fall from to another solid surface you wouldn't fall from in the PHB1. Errata or memory error, or specific overruling general, could change this.

This is taken from the Compendium

Destination Space: The destination of the teleportation must be an unoccupied space that is at least the same size as the target. For instance, a Large creature cannot be teleported into a space that is only 1 square wide.
If arriving in the destination space would cause the target to fall or if that space is hindering terrain, the target can immediately make a saving throw. On a save, the teleportation is negated. Otherwise, the target arrives in the destination space.

It is clear that the creature which is teleporting CAN arrive in a destination from where it would fall.
Which means (if I'm correct) that if you want to stay then you simply not make a saving throw at all.

From what I get (from reading the rules), when I teleport in mid-air, I fall right after the action that I used to teleport there. But all my powers let me teleport and attack as part of the same action.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this is not what I expected this thread to be about.

You're scaring me. What DID you expect this to be? :smalltongue:

I want to say you can probably do what I think you're trying to do, but: It's a big vague. Please spell out exactly what you're trying to do in exact order with whatever applicable feats/items/etc apply. I think we can make it happen.

Okay, I think you're right. A little more thorough explanation is in order.
So, I have an eladrin asault swordmage. The powers in question are the following:

1. Fey Step: Move Action
Effect: teleport 5 squares
Extra Effect (from the feat Eladrin Swordmage Advance): When you use fey Step you can make a mba as a free action

I'm thinking, since it's a free action, I can teleport in the air and attack right away. It's the same as teleporting and shouting "CHARGEEEE". It can be done instantly.

2. Dual Lightning Strike: Standard Action
Attack one creature
Then teleport a couple of squares (around 4 if i remember correctly)
Then attack another creature

So, I'm thinking if I attack a target on the ground, can I then teleport up in the air to attack the second target? (And then of course fall)

3. Lightning Strider: Standard Action
tp 5 squares
Attack one creature
tp another 5
attack a second creature
tp 5 more
attack a third creature

4. Aegis of Assault Immediate Reaction
if an enemy within 10 squares marked by my aegis of assault hits an ally, I get to teleport adjacent to him and do a mba.

Other powers that I get throughout higher levels, are pretty much upgraded versions of Dual Lightning Strike and Lightning Strider

Tegu8788
2012-03-17, 10:48 PM
One question. How many flying enemies are you expecting to run into? I agree it would look really cool to appear above and slash at the enemy, but for every attack except the last one that chains the 'porting attacks, have you factored in all the fall damage you may receive?

Silma
2012-03-17, 10:56 PM
Note: I edited my previous post with a reply to something you said Tegu.

Well, I will try to make sure my last target (after hitting which I would fall) is as close to the ground as possible, so...
The thing is I don't really plan to use this too often, it just occurred to me after we fought some bats, and I tried to use this trick due to the lack of ranged powers. I killed that last bat, but I fell from 20 ft. I don't really think I will get to see too many flying enemies, but I want to know, how it works in case I do.

WickerNipple
2012-03-18, 12:01 AM
1) Correct.
2) Correct.
3) - 4) don't seem to have particular rules concerns but they're other fun teleports.

From what I understand of what you're doing everything legit. Just make sure you completely understand and own up to the falling rules when they apply - and it looks like you are.

The character sounds like a hoot to me. Have fun!