PDA

View Full Version : Casting Spells While Flying with Wild Shape

milothethief
2012-03-17, 12:54 PM
Hello all!

A druid in my party has opted to fly while in Wild Shape. He has the Natural Spell feat, which allows him to cast spells. My question is this:

Can he cast spells while flying, since the act of flying--flapping his wings--prohibits one from completing the somatic component of the spell?

bloodtide
2012-03-17, 01:05 PM
No. If you have Natural Spell you can cast spells in a Wild Shaped form normally. Note that the example given for Natural Spell in the players handbook is of a hawk using it's talons for the somatic gestures of a spell.

Natural Spell lets you substitute 'animal movements' for 'human movements', but it is not specific as to what movements.

Also note that a flying creature is not activity flying at every second, they also glide and dive and even just 'ride the air current and float in mid air'.

milothethief
2012-03-17, 01:08 PM
No. If you have Natural Spell you can cast spells in a Wild Shaped form normally. Note that the example given for Natural Spell in the players handbook is of a hawk using it's talons for the somatic gestures of a spell.

Natural Spell lets you substitute 'animal movements' for 'human movements', but it is not specific as to what movements.

Also note that a flying creature is not activity flying at every second, they also glide and dive and even just 'ride the air current and float in mid air'.

You said "no," but it seems like you are actually meaning to say he can cast spells while flying.

Coidzor
2012-03-17, 02:27 PM
Hello all!

A druid in my party has opted to fly while in Wild Shape. He has the Natural Spell feat, which allows him to cast spells. My question is this:

Can he cast spells while flying, since the act of flying--flapping his wings--prohibits one from completing the somatic component of the spell?

He can use his talons. So he's fine so long as he isn't casting spells with a casting time of 1 round (if he is unable to hover, anyway).

So, he can cast his spells just fine.

milothethief
2012-03-17, 03:14 PM
Alright, thanks everyone. That will help with our campaign!