PDA

View Full Version : I need a name for my sword!

Rossebay
2012-03-17, 01:57 PM
Alright, so it's from the Faerun Campaign Setting. It's a cursed sword, and it's Heavy Aurorum, with Githcraft and Dwarvencraft templates, it's ornate, masterwork, and it's a +1 Frost Magebane Bastard Sword that can cut through just about anything.
Don't ask, haha.

Anyway, it's a sword that only responds to Raumathar royalty, and my character is the last known descendant with the most royal blood.

So, what do I call this infinitely sharp and cold hand-and-a-half sword?

Edit: Also, it's intelligent, and has a thing for spilling the blood of mages.

The story of the sword is that it was crafted during Raumathar's battle with Narfell (as they were making alliances with demons), and was built to give the king a weapon that even his most powerful enemies could not rid him of. A weapon that would prove threatening to even his most well-defended enemies.

Flickerdart
2012-03-17, 02:11 PM
A sword that only works for royalty and (as cursed swords are wont to do) can't be rid of once it does so? Kingmaker seems like a fitting title.

Rossebay
2012-03-17, 02:13 PM
A sword that only works for royalty and (as cursed swords are wont to do) can't be rid of once it does so? Kingmaker seems like a fitting title.

For a title, sure.

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's Intelligent, and it wants to kill every red Wizard it comes in contact with.

But I feel like the whole Red Wizard part shouldn't be a major part of its name.

Edit: And yeah, he can't get rid of it. Ever.

Grue Bait
2012-03-17, 02:21 PM
The Royal Razor and Magikill seem apt. Perhaps one of those?

Rossebay
2012-03-17, 02:23 PM
The Royal Razor and Magikill seem apt. Perhaps one of those?

It's not much of a Razor, and Magikill doesn't sound majestic enough.

MonkeyBusiness
2012-03-17, 02:29 PM
"Binky". This is a name that may curtail hubris (a danger when dealing with "intelligent" weaponry) and will also inspire dread in your enemies. I guarantee you: no-one wants the ignominy of being slaughtered by a sword named "Binky". Also, it makes a swell battle cry. Who would not run from a guy hollering "Biiiiiiinkeeeee" in the middle of the battlefield?

Not only that, but once you have attained your kingdom, you will become the topic of many boring history books. Give future highschool students in your kingdom a break, and give them something to smile about. It will make you easier to remember in the long line of Kings With Identical Names Followed By Numbers if you are the one who wielded the dread blade Binky.

Grue Bait
2012-03-17, 02:31 PM
It's not much of a Razor, and Magikill doesn't sound majestic enough.

Not much of a razor? I thought you said it was infinitely sharp.

Rossebay
2012-03-17, 02:31 PM
"Binky". This is a name that may curtail hubris (a danger when dealing with "intelligent" weaponry) and will also inspire dread in your enemies. I guarantee you: no-one wants the ignominy of being slaughtered by a sword named "Binky". Also, it makes a swell battle cry. Who would not run from a guy hollering "Biiiiiiinkeeeee" in the middle of the battlefield?

Not only that, but once you have attained your kingdom, you will become the topic of many boring history books. Give future highschool students in your kingdom a break, and give them something to smile about. It will make you easier to remember in the long line of Kings With Identical Names Followed By Numbers if you are the one who wielded the dread blade Binky.

Hahaha. If only my DM would go for that.

Not much of a razor? I thought you said it was infinitely sharp.

That's true. But I feel like it should be a more personal name. It is intelligent, after all.

Grue Bait
2012-03-17, 02:35 PM
That's true. But I feel like it should be a more personal name. It is intelligent, after all.

Steve, the King's Razor? What do you mean by personal?

denthor
2012-03-17, 02:38 PM
chaos incarnate.

Since made by a demon it is chaotic and most likey evil since intelligent.

I at first thought conscience but that does not fit since most likely the sword does not have one.

Sunder

What are some of the abilities?

Cobra_Ikari
2012-03-17, 02:48 PM
I personally would probably use something like [Name of monster that is particularly deadly to spellcasters]Fang/Claw/Talon or something to that effect. *shrugs*

Kurien
2012-03-17, 03:37 PM
How about...

Arcturios, the Unfailing Blade. Or ... Arcturios, the Spellcutter/cleaver.
See, Arcturios shares a root with Arctic, referring to its Frost property, and Unfailing refers to the fact that it can never be taken away. Spellcleaver refers to its magebane property.

Coidzor
2012-03-17, 03:41 PM
Arcturus Kingmaker? But prefers to go by Bob? Maybe Chaz?

The Heavensbane Throne?

Magedrinker? Cantripslicer? Spelldrinker?

North_Ranger
2012-03-17, 03:46 PM
The Enchanter's End

Cobra_Ikari
2012-03-17, 03:49 PM
Arcturus Kingmaker? But prefers to go by Bob? Maybe Chaz?

The Heavensbane Throne?

Magedrinker? Cantripslicer? Spelldrinker?

Arcturus is an awesome name, but it means "guardian", I dunno that that's really appropriate for a cursed blade...

...or maybe so? *shrugs*

Rossebay
2012-03-17, 03:50 PM
It has named itself Arcturus, but goes by many titles.
Kingmaker, Enchanter's End, the Unfailing Blade, Spelldrinker.

Thanks, guys. :D That was really helpful.

Edit: I think Arcturus fits. It references Arctic, which is obvious, but it also deals with the fact that the blade was made to defend royalty by being an ever-present fallback plan.

dehro
2012-03-17, 04:12 PM
Don't ask, haha.

you could just calll it that, of course... "don't ask"... maybe in a fancy-er language.. and then follow it up with a nervous or sarky (depending on circumstance) "haha" every time the name is uttered... a bit like "frau Blucher" from Frankenstein jr. being followed by neighing horses... you know..as part of the curse.

the reasoning there being that to lift the curse you need to know it's name, and when you ask it to it..he replies "don't ask"... haha

ah..I see I'm too late :smallwink:

Adlan
2012-03-17, 05:06 PM
It has named itself Arcturus, but goes by many titles.
Kingmaker, Enchanter's End, the Unfailing Blade, Spelldrinker.

Thanks, guys. :D That was really helpful.

Edit: I think Arcturus fits. It references Arctic, which is obvious, but it also deals with the fact that the blade was made to defend royalty by being an ever-present fallback plan.

And for short, I think people will refer to it as Arc naturally, it's a good diminutive.

Icewalker
2012-03-17, 05:35 PM
Seems you've gotten to a good solution. Although I would vote for Stan, myself.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-03-17, 05:47 PM
Frostmorne? Nah, that's been used. Its owner came to a bad end... :smallwink:

Masque (From Masque of the Red Death, the Edgar Allen Poe short story)

Morte' Rouge? (Death (to) Red). Or would Rouge Morte' be more proper?

That's all I got off the top of my head. Good luck finding a name.

Zen Monkey
2012-03-17, 05:57 PM
With the noble aspect, you could go with something like Ambition.

It also has properties of frozen wastelands, coupled with a hate for wizards and a bloodthirst that lets it cleave through anything, so the Conan fan in me thinks of names like Barbarian or Reaver.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-17, 06:05 PM
Metal Stick - 0001

Anxe
2012-03-17, 06:40 PM
Betrubnis the Sorrow Blade, Void Sword of Ending.

Coidzor
2012-03-17, 07:54 PM
(deleted, double post)

Once you've clicked the edit button, right above the text box to edit the post there's 2 radio buttons and a "delete this message" button-box. Just gotta set it to delete with the radio buttons and click the delete this message button to confirm and you're golden.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-17, 08:29 PM
I know. Excalibur. I'm pretty sure there's never in the history of mankind been any sword named that in any stories at all.

thubby
2012-03-17, 08:33 PM
omega, ender of all.

Lycan 01
2012-03-17, 10:48 PM
Royal Reaver?

Magebane?

Checkmate?

Usurper?

lesser_minion
2012-03-18, 07:41 AM
See, Arcturios shares a root with Arctic, referring to its Frost property, and Unfailing refers to the fact that it can never be taken away. Spellcleaver refers to its magebane property.

My pedantic hat feels obliged to point out that the Arctic was named for its bears (the word 'Arctic' actually comes from the Greek for 'bear'), not for its climate.

I imagine that that name would be better on a hypothetical sword of bears (whatever that would do) than on a sword of frost. Especially in the Forgotten Realms, where I'm pretty sure the poles are different.

*With trepidation, anticipates the appearance of someone wearing an even more pedantic hat*

Elemental
2012-03-18, 07:46 AM
My pedantic hat feels obliged to point out that the Arctic was named for its bears (the word 'Arctic' actually comes from the Greek for 'bear'), not for its climate.

*With trepidation, anticipates the appearance of someone wearing an even more pedantic hat*

You beat me to it.
Damn you...

Mikhailangelo
2012-03-18, 02:47 PM
You're asking for us to help name a deadly weapon designed for penetration...

Resist urge to say 'trouser titan'... Resist urge to say 'trouser titan'...Resist urge to say 'trouser titan'... Resist urge to say 'trouser titan'...

Ahem. Sorry

'Regents Delight', I think, sounds pretty good - Subtle, seemingly unassuming, yet noble. And also sounds like a dessert of some description.

Fay Graydon
2012-03-18, 03:56 PM
Off the top of my head I can come up with:
Wrath-Maim (Pronounced "Roth-Maim")
Blacksoul, Drinker of Sorrows
Netherfell, Keeper of the Abyss
Darkshard, Blade of Nightmare

EDIT:
Nazirá, Chiller of Souls (Pronounced "Naz-ear-ah")

absolmorph
2012-03-18, 06:55 PM

I imagine that that name would be better on a hypothetical sword of bears (whatever that would do) than on a sword of frost. Especially in the Forgotten Realms, where I'm pretty sure the poles are different.

Actually, they're all referring to things. They don't specifically mean anything related to the sword.
Arcturios refers to Arctic, which reminds people of cold. Because it's a Frost weapon.
Plus, in English, one meaning of "arctic" is "very cold".

Now I'm going to go make a sword for the bear-people in my setting...

Cobra_Ikari
2012-03-18, 07:07 PM
Actually, they're all referring to things. They don't specifically mean anything related to the sword.
Arcturios refers to Arctic, which reminds people of cold. Because it's a Frost weapon.
Plus, in English, one meaning of "arctic" is "very cold".

Now I'm going to go make a sword for the bear-people in my setting...

Mmm...Arcturios sounds more like a reference to Arcturus, which, again, means "bear guardian", so regardless of what arctic means in English, I think the bear people have you there.

Mercenary Pen
2012-03-18, 07:17 PM
Okay, name for an icy blade, wielded by royalty, not referencing bears...

Coldthrone, sword of the Iceroy.

absolmorph
2012-03-18, 07:18 PM
Mmm...Arcturios sounds more like a reference to Arcturus, which, again, means "bear guardian", so regardless of what arctic means in English, I think the bear people have you there.
I was explaining Kurien's logic, which doesn't take into account what Arcturios sounds like to you. Or me.

Plus, lesser_minion was noting that using "arctic" to refer to cold doesn't fit because it actually comes from the Greek word for bear. My point was that the pedantry she used was irrelevant, as there was no use of meaning- and even if there had been, "arctic" was still a fine fit using English.

I'm sold on this.

Rossebay
2012-03-18, 09:29 PM

Hahaha. That's hilarious.

But, yeah. I don't care that Arcturus means Bear Guardian. No one in my group is going to understand that. Rather, they're going to think, "Oh, arctic!"
And with arctic comes, "Oh, cold! It's a cold weapon!"

Saintheart
2012-03-18, 09:36 PM
Something arctic? How about Winterfall?

Averis Vol
2012-03-18, 11:29 PM
Weavebane, sword of (insert name of country). it seems the fact that this sword is a mage slayer is more important then the fact that it does a d6 of frost damage. so i'd go off that like woe of the crimson mage or something else that has to do with bleeding mages dry.

DarkestKnight
2012-03-18, 11:35 PM
stafa skútu is Icelandic for spell cutter. Seems appropriate to me.

Xaktsaroth
2012-03-18, 11:43 PM
Alright, so it's from the Faerun Campaign Setting. It's a cursed sword, and it's Heavy Aurorum, with Githcraft and Dwarvencraft templates, it's ornate, masterwork, and it's a +1 Frost Magebane Bastard Sword that can cut through just about anything.
Don't ask, haha.

Anyway, it's a sword that only responds to Raumathar royalty, and my character is the last known descendant with the most royal blood.

So, what do I call this infinitely sharp and cold hand-and-a-half sword?

Edit: Also, it's intelligent, and has a thing for spilling the blood of mages.

The story of the sword is that it was crafted during Raumathar's battle with Narfell (as they were making alliances with demons), and was built to give the king a weapon that even his most powerful enemies could not rid him of. A weapon that would prove threatening to even his most well-defended enemies.

The sword can only have one name: Burden.

deuxhero
2012-03-19, 12:30 AM
Bastard Sword that only works for nobility?

How about "Bastard's Sword"?

Calanon
2012-03-19, 12:34 AM
The Casters Bane, Thayan Reaper, Crimsons Bane, Weave Ripper (if it predates the fall of Netheril) the list goes on and on

Rossebay
2012-03-19, 05:55 AM
The Casters Bane, Thayan Reaper, Crimsons Bane, Weave Ripper (if it predates the fall of Netheril) the list goes on and on

I like Weave Ripper, actually.

The sword can only have one name: Burden.

Hahaha. Right? But it turns out that it used to be a morphing sword, so it wasn't quite as much of a Burden.

Weavebane, sword of (insert name of country). it seems the fact that this sword is a mage slayer is more important then the fact that it does a d6 of frost damage. so i'd go off that like woe of the crimson mage or something else that has to do with bleeding mages dry.

And Weavebane.

Dairuga
2012-03-21, 05:00 AM
It likes to draw out blood of the red mages?

One word

Blutsauger.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-03-21, 05:09 AM
The fluffy bunny.

After all, redundency aside, who can live down the shame of being killed by that?