PDA

View Full Version : Pelemana [3.5 Template, Made of Magma!]

Admiral Squish
2012-03-17, 02:45 PM
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/041/2/c/2c25614e73d0e526.jpg
"Man against nature? It's not even a fight. Nature has lava." -Koruk, Pelemana.

Sample Pelemana Warrior (1st level human warrior)
Medium Outsider [Earth][Fire][Native]
Hit Dice: 1d8+3 (7 HP)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 feet (6 squares)
Armor Class: (+4 natural), touch, flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4
Attack: Greatsword +4 melee (2d6+4 plus 2d6 fire) or Slam +4 melee (1d6+4 plus 2d6 fire)
Full Attack: Greatsword +4 melee (2d6+4 plus 2d6 fire) or Slam +4 melee (1d6+4 plus 2d6 fire)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Volcanic Fury
Special Qualities: Searing Body, Molten Body, Immunity to Fire, Vulnerability to Cold
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +7, Handle Animal +5, Intimidate +5, Jump +7, Ride +4, Sense Motive +4, Spot +4, Swim +7
Feats: Power Attack
Environment: Warm mountains
Organization: Soltary, Squad (3-5), or Platoon (10-30)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Advancement: By character Class
Level Adjustment: +3

A tall, broad-shouldered figure stands in front of the doorway, his flesh glowing red-orange with pure heat, plates of black stone floating on the brilliant red flesh. In his hands he carries a massive blade, the handle glowing orange around his grip. New cracks form in his eyebrows as the plates of stone shift, his brow furrowing intensely.

Pelemana are warriors, blessed by the god of volcanoes with the power of the most destructive aspect of nature. They serve nature as guardians of sacred sites and avengers who strike against civilization when it pushes too far. They are deadly, nearly unstoppable foes, and they are only called from their guardposts in dire situations.

Combat:
Pelemana come on hard and fast. If it's an option, they open with their Volcanic Fury ability, then charge in, trusting in their powerful muscles , incredible toughness and Searing Body ability to carry them through the fight.

Volcanic Fury (Su): As a full round action once per day, the pelemana can call upon the power of their patron to devastating effect. The pelemana can target a 5 foot square area of any stone surface within 10 feet/HD. The stone swells, then explodes, dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage /2 HD to any creature in the square, and showering everything within a 20-foot radius burst in molten stone, dealing 1d6 fire damage/2 HD to all creatures in the area. Creatures in the targeted square can make a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod) to half the bludgeoning damage, and all creatures within the area can make a reflex save of the same DC for half damage.

Searing Body (Ex): A pelemana's body is composed of eternally molten stone. If a pelemana touches an enemy with a melee touch attack, a natural weapon, or strikes with a metal melee weapon, the heat of their molten flesh deals 2d6 points of fire damage. If the pelemana is struck by a non-reach melee attack, the attacker takes 2d6 points of fire damage as his molten blood sprays from the wounds. If a pelemana holds an opponent in a grapple for a full round, the contact deals 10d6 points of fire damage.

Molten body (Ex): A pelemana's body lacks any defined organs, their bodies fueled by otherworldly heat. As such, they are immune to critical hits, poison, paralysis, and stunning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Template:

Pelemana is an acquired template that can be applied to any Dragon, Giant, Humanoid, Magical Beast, or Monstrous Humanoid with an intelligence score of three of higher.

A pelemana is created with a ritual that requires one druid of level 10 or higher, or four druids of level 5 or higher. The ritual requires one hour and an active volcano. The subject must be willing and the ritual is completed by the subject throwing themselves into the caldera and allowing themselves to be consumed by the lava. The ritual strips away any immunity or resistance to fire that the creature possesses against the lava. At the moment the creature dies, the goddess of volcanoes will restore the creature as a pelemana if she deems them worthy, or let them perish if she does not.

Size and Type
The creature’s type changes to outsider and it gains the [earth], [fire], and [native] subtypes. Size is unchanged. Recalculate base attack bonus and saves.

Speed
A Pelemana gains a burrow speed equal to one-half it's base land speed, and can choose to leave a usable tunnel of it's size behind it as it moves through the earth. It can even melt it's way through solid stone at a speed of 5 feet per round. All other speeds are unchanged.

Armor Class
Natural armor improves by +4.

Natural Attack
A pelemana gains a slam attack that deals damage appropriate for it's size. Pelemana of size large or larger have two slam attacks. Each slam attacks deals fire damage thanks to it's molten body ability.

{table=head]Size|Slam Damage
Small|1d4
Medium|1d6
Large|1d8
Huge|2d6
Gargantuan|3d6
Colossal|4d6[/table]

Special Attacks
A pelemana retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following special attack.

Volcanic Fury: As a full round action once per day, the pelemana can call upon the power of their patron to devastating effect. The pelemana can target a 5 foot square area of any stone surface within 10 feet/HD. The stone swells, then explodes, dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage /2 HD to any creature in the square, and showering everything within a 20-foot radius burst in molten stone, dealing 1d6 fire damage/2 HD to all creatures in the area. Creatures in the targeted square can make a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod) to half the bludgeoning damage, and all creatures within the area can make a reflex save of the same DC for half damage.

Special Qualities
A pelemana retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains the following special qualities.

Searing Body: A pelemana's body is composed of eternally molten stone. If a pelemana touches an enemy with a melee touch attack, a natural weapon, or strikes with a metal melee weapon, the heat of their molten flesh deals 2d6 points of fire damage. If the pelemana is struck by a non-reach melee attack, the attacker takes 2d6 points of fire damage as his molten blood sprays from the wounds. If a pelemana holds an opponent in a grapple for a full round, the contact deals 10d6 points of fire damage.

Molten body: A pelemana's body lacks any defined organs, their bodies fueled by otherworldly heat. As such, they are immune to critical hits, poison, paralysis, and stunning.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +6, Con +6, Cha +2.

Skills
A pelemana gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier) × (HD +3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the pelemana gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.

Environment
Warm Mountain or Warm Islands

Challenge Rating
Same as the base creature +3

Alignment
Usually Neutral

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature +3

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Gauntlets of Cool Touch
These gauntlets are inscribed with the holy symbol of Pele on the back of each hand. However, instead of her usual fiery purview, these gauntlets are cold to the touch. A Pelemana wearing gauntlets of Cool Touch does not deal additional fire damage when touching or attacking a creature. These gloves are commonly used to keep pelemana from burning down building accidentally. While wearing the gloves, their skin gets darker, like an ember struggling to hold onto the last of it's heat.
Faint Transmutation; CL 3; Craft wondrous Item; Chill Metal; Price 2,500

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So, random idea that I've actually based off a character I'm RPing in DCU. I like lava. I'm not sure how I should score it in terms of CR/LA, since I didn't use any kind of reference for balance. What do you guys think?

pffh
2012-03-17, 02:57 PM
My best guess would place it around +3-4 CR as for LA I have no idea.

Rossebay
2012-03-17, 03:14 PM
I'm seeing:
1/day: Fireball at 1/2 HD, and another 10d6*0.5HD on the target. Nothing major, that's just a 3rd level spell with some bonus damage, but 2 saves.

Continuous:
Mage Armor equivalent, nonmagical.
Fire Shield sort of ability, nomagical.
Large bonus damage in a grapple. Nonmagical.
2d6 extra weapon damage, seems to stack with weapon enhancements. Nonmagical.
Extra Natural Weapon attack.

Two immunities, right? And they become Outsiders.

They also benefit from ability bonuses worth 76,000 gold from WBL.

I'd say Level Adjustment of 3. At the lowest, 2.

Admiral Squish
2012-03-17, 06:01 PM
Alright, I'll give it a provisional LA/CR adjustment of +3. That'll do for now.

Oh, intersting thing to mention: The name of this template is hawaiian. It translates, roughly, to 'power of Pele' who is the hawaiian goddess of volcanoes, lightning, and a couple other cool things.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-17, 07:28 PM
FIRE! Yes! :smallbiggrin: There is always room for more fire-based homebrew!

That said, you wrote "A half-dragon retains all special attacks", which I believe is a typo.

LA +3 is just fine. The guy is strong, but he's certainly no pixie. Honestly, the immunity to fire is probably worth +1 LA all by itself, coupled with the other immunities, it's definitely a strong template.

My quibble: It's an [Earth] creature, but it only gets the weaknesses of the [Earth] subtype with none of the strengths. You can be turned or rebuked by people who can turn or rebuke [Earth] creatures (if there are any, I'm sure there are), but you don't get a burrow speed. I think you should get a burrow speed, at least 15'. It'd be pretty nice and flavorful.

Template looks great otherwise. Well done, sir.

Admiral Squish
2012-03-17, 08:25 PM
FIRE! Yes! :smallbiggrin: There is always room for more fire-based homebrew!

That said, you wrote "A half-dragon retains all special attacks", which I believe is a typo.

LA +3 is just fine. The guy is strong, but he's certainly no pixie. Honestly, the immunity to fire is probably worth +1 LA all by itself, coupled with the other immunities, it's definitely a strong template.

My quibble: It's an [Earth] creature, but it only gets the weaknesses of the [Earth] subtype with none of the strengths. You can be turned or rebuked by people who can turn or rebuke [Earth] creatures (if there are any, I'm sure there are), but you don't get a burrow speed. I think you should get a burrow speed, at least 15'. It'd be pretty nice and flavorful.

Template looks great otherwise. Well done, sir.

Well, I'm glad you appreciate my work!

You saw nothing! *ninja smoke bomb* :smallamused:

good idea! I shall add it in. I guess I always thought mole when I heard burrow speed, but I got this mental image of one of them sorta melting his way through the earth. Very cool.

EDIT: Also, added an item to keep them from burning down villages and such by accident.